Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: IN PROGRESS - Pic

IN PROGRESS - Pic
January 21, 2017 12:15AM
I'm working on a nice folder. The carvings are NOT done, and they are NOT representative of the final color. They are in progress. There are various passes yet required.

I hoped I might possibly have it complete today. It was just too much work. And fatigue lead to a headache. knucklehead Bummer.

However; I can put the Carving on PAUSE without degrading it. thumbs up

Hope you can clearly see how nice this folder will be. It's the one previously shown in its white bone form. Prior to carving.

Gary
image.jpeg
January 21, 2017 05:11PM
Can't see it yet?

Well, I'll show you again later. Take a minute. Consider this please......

I'm always torn regarding posting work in progress. When I do it, it's to show you that I'm working, and to share a bit of the process. But, when it just yields crickets, it's sort of demoralizing. In all friendship ... I can't possibly show you new finished pcs every day. With the pace of the Internet - you CAN see a string of finished pieces every day. And they are available, free shipping, arriving yesterday, 250 day money back, but WAIT! - you get TWO of them. For 33 cents, they'll arrive day BEFORE yesterday. Now, if you take a second, you know very well a one man shop can't compete with that. Especially a one man shop in its fifth decade of completing heirloom quality pieces.

And so; a shop like mine counts on bringing the reader along, thru the process. Not the TV version where you can make a hand-tooled Spanish Saddle in twelve minutes. But, one that shows segments of various items in progress. But, it is a bummer to do it in a vacuum. The net was such a wonderful tool in about 96-99. Then it just got like looking into the hail from a wood chipper. Trying to get someone to focus on one piece of wood chip as it goes by.

Alright. More carving. Hopefully the electricity will stay on. We have had a storm stalled over our house for two hours now. Wish me luck. I might have to carve by candlelight!

Gary
January 21, 2017 05:17PM
Gary
What is that material ? That's not the bone you showed earlier is it ? It looks like wood but an intense amout of carving and tooling it hard to tell .

Thanks
Kurt
January 21, 2017 07:19PM
The very same piece of bone, Kurt. Thanks.

Here it is now, as I eat my lunch at the bench. This is the Mark Side. I have another pass on the Pile side to make.

image.jpeg

Hope readers can see it clearly now. (Bet ya'll thought it was gonna be a real mess - huh .... laughing again

Gary
January 21, 2017 08:49PM
Wow Gary, all that beautiful and detailed carving bring this knife to a new higher level. The one show before with the white bone was nice but now after all the carving is done it's exquisite. Great work Gary and thanks for keeping us posted.
January 21, 2017 09:37PM
Hi Julio,

It is a bit confusing looking during carving, isn't it. The artist has to see all the parts, and the depth. Here's the other side of the knife after the final pass of carving. Now there is stain and blending.

image.jpeg

I'll show you the finished part ASAP. artist

Gary
January 21, 2017 09:49PM
Those acorns are crazy good lookin . If I was a deer I'd be nibbling . I saw the oak leaves before but after staining it really comes out ! How thick is that scale ? It seems so thin it would crack . I can only imagine the bone smell while engraving / carving .
Thanks again . I feel like I'm there . I wish I was well except for the rain& storm part !

Thanks
Kurt
January 21, 2017 10:33PM
Common Kurt ....

The bone is just on the thick side of where it would crack. knucklehead. Haha. GeeWizzz ... Ha.

Here it is. All finished. Just before it all exploded .... laughing

image.jpeg

That's a lot of Carving. thumbs up take a bow

Gary
January 22, 2017 12:08AM
Gary
That's amazing detail . I wasn't implying it would crack I just don't know ANYTHING about bone scales or working with it . I only know I've broken a few here and there in my own body but , I ain't no cow . I hear the new thing is camel bone & giraffe that some guys are using . Maybe not new to you but new to me !I have also heard some friends use their first deer kill leg bone as a knife handle . Your scales looks very delicate and dainty yet masculine.

Thanks
Kurt
January 22, 2017 12:42AM
Hi Kurt,

It's fine. Glued down. Good stuff. Anyway - it's NATURAL materials. Remember. You guys like cracks and twists and expansion and contraction. It's like WOOD. If you are worried, you need more Fossil Skeeter Tusk! Hah. Now .... if we are finished talking about cracks ...., injured

Glad you noticed the carving too. Haha. rolling happy smiley

Yep. THAT is quite a bit of detail. Honestly, when I sat down to draw out the design, I didn't realize I was setting myself up for a marathon. There are 7 each leaves per side, a bunch of limbs, and half a bushel of acorns.

I think it looks real nice. (Quiet Kurt). footinmouth

Gary
January 22, 2017 01:50AM
Ah .... forgot, with all the cracking and stuff. Hehe.

Yeah .... I've seen camel bone scales for sale. But, with the worst carved jigging I've ever seen, and with the worst dye colors. Wierd pinks and pale purple. Odd green. Just not nice deep rich colors.

I must not have seen plain ones or they were sold out.

Now .... The Giraffe. I can't imagine that there isn't some "Save the Giraffes" protests outside the knife supply places. Can't imagine. Do you guys want Giraffe bone scales? Hah!!!! Bet the comments will pile up now!!!! Hahhhhah. Doubt it.

Gee, I had to fight the "Save the Misquitos" Foundation on my previous knives. I had to clarify that these tusks were from the already extinct "Bloodsuckeous Gargantuan" Segment. Barely got away.

Anyway, the Cow Bone is a renewable resource. (With a new cow .... you understand .....). It's a very traditional material. Knife handles have been made from it for hundreds of years just in our immediate commercial history. Yes Kurt, a unique smell. I have to make arrangements to vacuum it up.

Oh Kurt - you can talk now. boing. Timeout is over hourglass. Hehe.

Gary
January 22, 2017 03:00AM
image.jpeg

Looking good.

Stainless, Brass, Carved/Dyed Bone

Gary
January 22, 2017 01:36PM
That's beautiful Gary,
Sorry I couldn't comment earlier as I was working. That is going to turn out to be 'another' Masterpiece!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
January 22, 2017 11:07PM
Thanks Jeff,

Here we are this evening.

image.jpeg

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021