Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Report and News

Report and News
January 31, 2017 01:22AM
This day started off with an early Eye Dr. appt.

For maybe nine month now, I've been examined, monitored, and treated; for a condition in my right eye.

I had noticed that my right eye had become weaker than my left. Obviously, the eyes work together, so the left compensated and I guess I favored the left. But then everything became of significant concern. I noticed that there was what looked to me, as if a big black bug splat on the inside of my right eye, at about my 2:30 position. "Dear God, please .... not one more thing to deal with ...."

I got an appointment with an eye Doctor here. They performed a number of tests. They established that at about 2:30-3:00 in my vision, I could not see the brief flickers and flashes made by a machine checking same. They dialated and first checked for the worst case. "NO" detached retina. Thank GOD!!!!! They observed that there was a film inside my eye. At about 2:30, there were two very dark vertical streaks as part of this film. The Dr. told me that this film can, might, should dissipate, but it often takes a looong time. It was NOT a degenerative condition. However; I felt I saw things scurry across my work bench. I often involuntarily ducked away from flying wasps .... that weren't there. I ducked tree branches that we not there. Thought I saw a mouse on the floor, endlessly. You don't get over it. Your brain is programmed to protect you, and so it tries.

We bought the prescription drops and dosed my eye multiple times a day for about three months. It got worse. Now I had the black bug splat, possibly a second lesser one, AND wavy translucent patches here and there. I was pretty worried about this now. However; I'd been beaten down pretty good over the past few years ... so I just did what was told. We moved on to STERIODS. And we faithfully dosed my eye. Every time I engraved, I wondered if this work was going to close a chapter of my work. This was like a runner wondering if he is going to loose a foot to an infection. I couldn't do the detail I've cut, without depth perception. So I took the Steriods and when I drove, I watched the major splat, minor splat, and whole bunch of translucent squiggles and smears. And prayed. The only option was eye surgery. I didn't feel lucky.

Another several months passed. It's back in August/16. We get a report that the Dr. thinks it's turned a corner. He thinks the dark blotched seem a bit lighter. And, it seems that me eye test indicates my right eye is now a bit stronger. The vision improved. Do the Steroid every day now. That's all there is to do other than surgery. It should work.

Well, over the time period since August, I've barely come up for air. I would have guessed that things were not worse. I haven't hardly driven the interstate - where the sky backdrop shows the blotches so clearly. We had an early appt. this morning. First thing, they repeated the vision field testing. I could tell there were dead spots. You see flashes - at s pretty regular rythm. I didn't see some. Then they did my vision chart - but my pupils were heavily dialated. Must have gotten that backwards today. I couldn't see crap.

Then the Doc comes in. He observes my eyes. He takes his time. Does each eye. Sets back. I'm braced. ....

"It's much reduced in size and density. It's now one translucent area. Where there had been two dark vertical streaks."

OMG

Both Kelly and myself are extremely grateful. Very pleased. And, he gave me a clean bill on cataracts. Very grateful indeed.

Gary
January 31, 2017 03:37AM
Gary,

Wow! I am glad that the dark spots are beginning to become translucent. I cannot imagine how hard life would be for your profession with no depth perception. Hope this can all be put behind you really soon. Sucks that you have had so many things happen these last few years. Will keep you in thought and continued prayer.

All the best,

Pedro
January 31, 2017 07:51AM
Gary,

I hope everything is good, it sounds good.

I hate being dilated it messes me up for 24 hours.

Keep in touch.

Larry
January 31, 2017 09:44AM
Gary
It sounds like a scary scenario but hopefully on the mend . No surgery required just eye drops big big plus .
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers !
Stay well my friend

Thanks
Kurt
January 31, 2017 04:12PM
Thank you Pedro, Larry, Kurt.

I appreciate the good friends I've made through my business. Thanks sincerely.

I know that every reader here has gone through your own list of pesty things, trials, and Tramas. I certainly don't think that I'm special or a "victim". My issues get voice because the readership prefers that our forum is heavily weighted toward being a barnespneumatic blog. As such, and being a one man band .... my life details effect every project I do. And do, they dictate my schedule. And, as the health details dictate my daily abilities .... they dictate how efficiently I am operating at any given moment.

Without reading verbal feedback, I still feel as though my daily output will be judged as either "worthy" or "deficient". And so you will detect a tone of justification in the background. However; you don't find me justifying another golfing or fishing outing. I list only one form of work that I felt able to do, or another project that required my attention. It's always work. The business has. Long hat rack of departments which I am responsible for.

Now. I'm behind in shipping projects. I'm sorry. I had some details to clean up. Some backtracking to do regarding Trade Knife sheaths. When you recieve your projects, you will notice free upgrades. Not to make them pretty. But to make them wear longer. Be of better bslance. Hold the knives more securely. This series was/is supposed to be a more minimalistic format. And yet I require that basic needs be well handled. I dontbwantbto get into the entire saga. This is a family show.

And I've needed to do a bit more shop lay out. To use the buildings that I have here. If is seemed as if ... "Well, you only had an hour's work yet on mine..." Actually, that wasn't the case. It's all been moved forward as fast as I can to heirloom quality work.

Ok. I'm burning shop time here. You be well. Keep a good thought for me. I have one for you. Nobody's been overlooked. No matter the day you started your first ledger payment, you have not been forgotten.

God Bless,
Gary
Sal
February 01, 2017 01:46AM
Good to hear the eyesight is improving! It's bad enough we can't hear as well and can't be nimble as a cat anymore, THEN we start seeing things!! I was just complaining to my eye Dr that my eye sight at night doesn't seem as good as it once was (I drive at night a bunch to get around for work when I don't fly). He checks my eye sight.... "20/20" what the heck Doc!? Chaulk it up to getting older he says..... sheesh! What in the world is it going to be like when I don't have good vision, maybe I'll start driving during the day only.
February 01, 2017 05:00AM
Hi Sal,

I hear ya. (Not as well as I should - but I hear you. Haha).

It gripes me that we have nearly twenty years of wasted energy up front, and then have to struggle to put our work shoes on several decades later. Yeah, guess I did it all wrong. I'm supposed to be playing chess on the pier by now. With my pimped out golf cart standing by. Hey, I was misled.

Hey. Just a thought. Look into those windshield coating products. They help the glass stay very clean. Resist water streaking. I'll bet just a really clean windshield cuts down on glare and that flare you get from lights and dirt or water. That should improve night vision.

Might prolong the day you have to go Uber. Ha! thumbs up

Best
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 05:10AM by barnespneumatic.
February 01, 2017 12:21PM
Gary, Great to hear that you've turned the corner on this and are improving. I know it was quite a stress over the past year. Maybe this signals a change in your normal luck....
Hey, could happen.

Karl
February 01, 2017 01:47PM
Thanks Karl!

thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021