Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where have I been...

Where have I been...
January 31, 2017 03:48AM
Hello,

Last few weeks things have been stressful and fun. Stressful due to a large project at work and everything going wrong. Having to sort out "professional's" mistakes. Won't say more about it!

Working with a friend to source parts and suppliers to create our own 3D printer kit. Having worked with the crap from China we both think there is a market for a kit that is easy to assemble and is reliable.

IMG_2734.JPG

We started with a German made extrusion which turns out to be very little more than cheap import. So far impressed with the quality. Last 3 weeks making drawings to order laser cut parts, no plastic, will be aluminum and steel parts on our builds.

So that is what I am up to. Airguns are on back burner for awhile. We are both excited about the venture and hoping it goes somewhere. We will see when we get the kits completed and interest develops.

I will comment and visit as I can. Thanks for reading.

Pedro
January 31, 2017 04:41AM
Looks interesting. I'm sure it'll be a lot of work!

Lon
February 01, 2017 03:50AM
Hi Lon,
It will be to much work. We are hoping to do a Printer workshop locally and sell 10-15 kits for it. People would assemble, try and learn their machine and take it home after. My coworkers idea and I am assisting.

Post more as things develop.

Pedro
January 31, 2017 09:57AM
Pedro
I too have been under much stress at work and sometimes feel it's not worth it but then things seem to get better and hind sight tells me " it ain't that bad "
I see XYZ in your picture . I would love to play with and use a 3-d printer but just can't dedicate all the time and effort to figure it out . We use a few of laser cut parts at work but mostly plasma & Oxy fuel cutting . Water jets are pretty commen here also too .I Sure wish we had a small one ( water or laser) at my job and not hafta depend on waiting for others .
Good luck with your project!

Thanks
Kurt
February 01, 2017 03:58AM
Hello Kurt,

Stress is no fun but part of life. Not only did I have to deal with the issues, now the guy who caused the issues will be coming to work next to me. He said he can better provide drawings and fixes as I need them. My boss thought it was a good idea but generally engineers and machinist but heads. So will be interesting to see what happens.

Laser cutters are a great tool. Should be getting laser cut parts next week for the printer. Did you know Manitoba, Canada has the most Laser per capita in North America? Mostly due to many Hutterite colonies getting into it. They are like Amish but embrace technology but still just a religion. I have worked with a few in the past, good and bad experiences.

Hope your stress goes down! Hope the week goes well!

Pedro
Sal
February 01, 2017 01:51AM
Nice Pedro! Hope it all works out and you make millions... make that billions, then we can all come and work for you grinning smiley
Crazy thing these days, my 12 year old brings home a 3D printed spinner, says the kid selling them has already paid for his printer with the earnings! I thought it was pretty cool and a neat way to make some cash. I'll have to snap a picture of it when I get home. I'm tempted to make an "old man" version out of wood, HA!
February 01, 2017 03:48AM
Hello Sal,

It is neat at what all can be printed. Not sure where this will all go. My coworker has already received about $1400 this last month making parts for the company we work for. Their $30k printer broke in November and no talk of a replacement soon. So our cheapo printers are making parts for now. We are hoping it takes off but one step at a time.

I have made a few wood tops on a wood large as a teen, great fun!

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021