Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Random Pictures .... This week ....

Random Pictures .... This week ....
February 24, 2017 02:27PM
It takes a good eye to see where the knife is in the chunk of bone.

image.jpeg

We watched Five ....that's 5 .... Hawks, in the air over our place. Very rare.

image.jpeg

I made a great 308 mold this week.

image.jpeg

Look how nice my hand cut and heat treated Mold Cavity ("Cherry") cutter mills out the hard aluminum.

image.jpeg

Closing up late one night. Anybody know what these lacy bugs are. See thru wings in a beautiful icy green.

image.jpeg

I change out these band saw blades a dozen times a day. There is a progression of items I cut.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Gary
image.jpeg
February 24, 2017 03:12PM
Thanks for sharing. 5 Hawks is a good omen .... yes?
February 24, 2017 03:21PM
Unless you are a rabbit! Ha!

excited
February 26, 2017 12:02AM
Gary
I saw the bone in the other post but didn't know what it was . Did you harvest more than one set of scales off of the piece in the picture? It's hard to tell . I can surley believe a trained eye is needed to spot and dissect the correct matching opposing pieces . When I tie trout, salmon, & steelhead flys I have to use left and right hand feathers that match .
Can you explain how you " jigged " a scale . They look like mini diamond shapes .
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
February 26, 2017 01:24AM
Hi Kurt. Here is the Burr.

image.jpeg

Cut on the side of the burr. I use a flex shaft Dremel tool.

thumbs up

Thanks for asking.

Gary
February 26, 2017 02:17PM
Hi Kurt,

Regarding the bone; yes, I got two other strips out of it. The crossection of the bone isn't round. It has two somewhat flat sides and this twisted side. Trick is not to ruin side 2 or 3 by wasteful cutting of side 1. I hate to waste material of any kind. Usually a little thought prevents that.

Bet you have to ride employees who want to cut an 18" piece off a new 20' length, when there are 15 pieces long enough on the "cut-offs" rack. Hah.

Gary
February 26, 2017 01:22PM
I call that a hart burr for stone setting in the jewelry trade. Usually use a setting burr though as that sharp angle catches. Oil of wintergreen is your friend.
February 26, 2017 02:29PM
Hi Steve,

Yep. Your burr will have many more teeth. But same shape.

Bet you have a nice Fordom Flex shaft tool. Early on, I thought I needed better, but my two Dremel flex shaft just won't die. Haha. Amazing tools. I've used them hard for over 40 years. They should have me do a promo spot for them. thumbs up

Thanks for posting,
Gary
February 26, 2017 02:24PM
Hey Gary,
I think fly fishermen call them bait...
Just sayin,
Jeff
February 27, 2017 01:51PM
Gary,

The cute insects are in the family Chrysopidae known as Lacewings and there are hundreds if not thousands of types all over the World. They lay eggs on plants and the caterpillars eat insects like aphids. So they are good guys.

I love Google. I knew they were Lacewings the rest is all google.

Larry
February 27, 2017 05:13PM
YOU!!! YOU.

You know EVERYTHING Larry.

Wow

Good Bugs. Great. Hey, I wonder if Pretty Bugs are often good bugs, and the nasty looking ones .... nasty.

open mind ...,
February 28, 2017 12:59AM
Gary,

If you google it like did the caterpillars look small, but really nasty like you should flatten them on sight.. scary. But it says they eat mostly bad bugs and do not eat leaves like most caterpillars of moths and butterfly's. So Win and Win..

When I had my greenhouse here I paid kids to get me live local ladybugs, praying Mantas, and some spiders. I also raised 30 tadpoles of a tiny green tree frog, after they hatched each evening they loved to climb up the top of greenhouse and eat all the nasty bugs that hid up there.

The down side to tree frogs in a greenhouse is they seem to be attracted to the reflection on a persons glasses. So as I walked through the greenhouse a tiny 1 inch green tree frog would suddenly appear stuck on my glasses.. They hung around a few seconds then jumped off. Ever try to clean frog slime off of glasses.. sigh.

So you are right good insects are.. well really good.

P.S. to Kurt I bet he has patterns for one or two types of lacewings as fish seem to love them.

Great photos,

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021