Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Excited! wow

Excited! wow
April 15, 2017 01:37AM
I'll have a stunning new "Aurora Premiere" .... probably tomorrow.

It's the size and shape that's been quite popular. It has half a mile of back spine file art AND, it will feature side scales of Barnes laid up Ancient Wooly Mammoth Ivory. Set in the Barnes Matrix that I developed around 1975. This pattern is a sort of woven look of carefully matched, chosen, sawn, ground, and polished Ancient of different color and pattern. It's beautiful. I developed this mosaic pattern in 1989 and introduced it at the New York Custom Knife Show.

Lots of pics tomorrow. I knew you wouldn't be interested in how I do it, all the processes, materials, timing, temperatures, and such. whistling

Check your couch cushions!
Gary
April 15, 2017 10:50AM
Oh come on
Don't be such a tease . You know I'm a sucker for woolly mammoths tusks!

Thanks
Kurt
April 15, 2017 12:05PM
April 15, 2017 09:57PM
IMG_4339.JPG

Can you see where I'm going here?

These are choice pieces of Ancient Wooly Mammoth Tusk. Cut and arranged in a mosaic matrix which I developed about 42 years ago. It makes an amazingly stable handle and shows the beauty of multiple colors and grain patterns. Those are the result of being buried in different locations. All of the Ivory is over 10,000 years old. And some can be 20,000 or even 30,000 years old. Wooly mammoth roamed the earth for eons.

Hope you
Like it. It will be sculpted and polished. This is plaincompared to where we are going!!!!

Gary
April 16, 2017 12:22AM
Gary
That's a very elegant mosaic design . A great use of smaller pieces and colors arranged beautifully. Were those old scales you just never attached ? Or did you enhance them back in the day also ? I think they'd look great just as they are . But hey who knows WHATS in the brain of an artist. I'm sure they will be a great adornment to your folders .

Kinda a weird thing for me ..... when I tie flies with different furs and hairs and feathers , as I'm holding the natural materials say polar bear for instance I can feel the spirit of the animal . I feel colder and wet and really THINK about the animal as I use him . I think about the life it had and what it musta eaten and where it came from .
Now I'm not a weirdo but feel I'm just lucky to be able to be that connected . Hey you got any woolly mammoths fur laying around ??? Haha

Thanks
Kurt
April 16, 2017 01:37AM
IMG_4348.JPG

Ok. Remember it's far from done. It hasn't been sculpted or polished. It will be quite nice.

IMG_4349.JPG

It will be thinned and rounded. I'll make certain it is worthy of 30,000 year old Ancient Ivory!

Gary
April 16, 2017 12:42PM
Test. Just lost a post ..,.
April 16, 2017 12:58PM
Hi Kurt,

Love the flies you tie. They are functional art too. I enjoy seeing them in the office. Although.... I keep checking .... so far .... no fish .... just say'n ....

Hey, sorry ..., no Wooly Mammoth fur. Could you use some Yeti? Although .... really ... it's the same as Polar Bear. Wink

I can't seem to use our emojis since I loaded this last "upgrade". Once I go off page to the emojis - it dumps my post's text.

Kurt, the mammoth Ivory scales will just be rounded. It's all blocky now. I won't be messing with color or anything. BTW - these are brand new mosaic scales I laid up from rough Ivory. Is that what you met? I may have indicated that this technique has worked great for me for over forty years. Really stable. Even thru seasonal and temp. Change.

Thanks!
Gary
April 16, 2017 09:04PM
Gary
Those are nice and yes I thought you found them from earlier days . You are reviving a good seller with a great pattern. The warm natural colors are great and hard to believe they come from nature .

Thanks
Kurt
April 17, 2017 12:25AM
Glad you like them, Kurt.

Does take a bit of an eye to produce a pleasing blend that reads well in all directions. Thanks for noticing. This will be a great knife.

I know you will love Julio's Blue Mammoth and Tony's Carved Taffy Color Mammoth.

Lots and lots of grindings, chips, and dust on my tools and benches!

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021