Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Blue Mammoth 99.5%. Pictures! artist

Blue Mammoth 99.5%. Pictures! artist
May 19, 2017 04:03AM
You probably thought you'd see this sooner. Along with more completed. Me too. Let me just cover it by saving it's been a ... really ..... tough week.

Ok. I have this beautiful Model 97 Blue Mammoth Innerframe at 99.5%. I'll complete the tuning.

I think it's a beautiful Artifact. It's story began tens of thousands of years ago. This Mammoth Tusk laid in place, all the while the Pyramids were being built. It was waiting for me. So; some of you who feel you have waited long and patiently, how about this tusk! Whoooh.

IMG_5090.JPG

When the handle Scale is carefully inlaid in the frame material, the design is known as an "Innerframe". The void is milled out and the insert sooooo soooo carefully prepared to be a perfect match. Then bonded in place.

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

I hope you have enjoyed this build. Now it begins the next thousand years, as a family heirloom and example of what I did, while here.

Hope you like it.
Comments welcome,
Gary
May 19, 2017 06:01AM
Museum quality!Pipe smoker

Lon
May 19, 2017 07:16AM
Julio
I know you've been very patient but WOW ! That piece has got to be the top shelf of ALL knives . You are a lucky man . It's well worth the wait .

Thanks
Kurt
May 19, 2017 10:32AM
Gary,
Another beautiful knife!
All this talk about the mammoth tusk and innerframe, but where's the story about that beautiful blade? Inquiring minds want to know!
I hope you have a better day today.

Scott

Scott
May 19, 2017 02:45PM
Hello Scott,

The day has begun very well. Thank you for caring.

This blade was made in Maryland, Scott. It is Forge Welded Wire Damascus Steel. After grinding and heat treating, it was sanded and polished bright. At that point, a tar-like "Resist" material was hand painted on the blade, in the pattern exhibited. The tang and Ricasso were covered as well. The blade was then submerged in strong acid. The acid ate any steel which was left exposed.

This is one of those collection of processes which build, and build, and build; as the danger of total loss of all previous work invested multiplies. By the time you tip the blade into hot acid, there has been a LOT of work invested into that blade.

Thanks for asking, Scott.

Gary
May 19, 2017 04:09PM
Wow Gary! I'm impressed with the beauty of this knife. So much attention to detail that it's hard to imagine how many different processes and techniques you used to build it. Thanks for bringing the best of you in each and every project that you build. And Kurt thanks for your comments. I really hope that we meet again in the near future to share stories, experiences and to take away good memories.

Julio
May 20, 2017 12:55AM
I looked a little closer at the blade in the first picture. Is that you're reflection? Or maybe the Shopsquash is out.....
I love the knife!

Scott
May 20, 2017 01:10AM
I saw that too Scott,

It does appear to be a portrait. Forehead looks like me. But the shirt with a Collar is more Maryland.

Just a random rug pattern portrait. Haha.

Or The SHOPSQUASH is pranking us now! Ha

Gary
May 20, 2017 07:19PM
Gary,

Beautiful work. Probably your finest version of that knife style... Julio is one lucky man.

Karl
May 20, 2017 07:32PM
Thanks Karl!

It's 100% now. Pics when the light is right this afternoon.

thumbs up

Gary
May 20, 2017 09:44PM
Gary,

That is one gorgeous Knife !!! Julio hit the lottery with one !
I bet its hard to let that creation go after you have spent sooo many hours creating it !

Thanks for sharing,

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021