Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bison Steel Carving

Bison Steel Carving
May 15, 2009 02:44AM
A couple of quick pics from the Bison parts I've been preparing for bluing. This one is a 56 Bison for B. Butler.

Bison_Steel.jpg

Steel Carving bison.jpg

take a bow

Gary
May 15, 2009 02:55PM
That's looking real nice Gary!
May 15, 2009 03:09PM
Sweet. thumbs up I know those are a lot of work. Are those gonna be muzzle-stuffers, or are they going to get the slide breech?

I hear the Bisons are among Gary's favorites to work on. surprised

-- Jim
May 15, 2009 06:47PM
Oh ooh! Looks like Jim is trying to get beat with the clue by four! knucklehead

I predict you're seeing one of the last Bison ever made. The amount of detail work involved in one of those is amazing. And every minute of that work increases the chance of making a mistake or having something slip... I'll bet there's a huge satisfaction and sense of relief whenever a Bison gets boxed up for shipment.
May 15, 2009 06:49PM
BTW, folks should take a good look at it now and any other pictures posted before delivery. I'm sure we'll never see nor hear of it after delivery!
May 15, 2009 07:57PM
Now, now Jerry. If you live long enough, you are sure to run across an obscure reference to someone, who knew a guy at work, with a cousin that once bought a gunsafe on e-bay ... only to find a fancy airgun behind a false panel. Makes me all misty eyed and tingly. thumbs up You see ... your cynicism is completely misplaced. grinning smiley

Actually ... great story from today ... (now that it's done) ...

Up inside the Bison receiver, there's a diagonal entry port which carries the firing pin and it's casing. On these guns, it comes from the hammer tube, pierces the receiver wall on a sharp angle, and terminates just short of the head of the valve head. Simple little operation to make and seal that ... haha. Anyway ... up in back of the valve seat, I must open the chamber larger, to allow proper flow of air around the mechanism.

I do this, while the receiver is straight (so it can be clamped up in the lathe). And, I did so for this gun. However; (I hate it when I hear that "however" part). However; I didn't provide enough clearance this time, and I don't know why. It had to be opened larger, and the operation was too delicate to just fumble around in there with a grinder. SO ... (I hate "SO" almost as much) ... I had to take the entire morning to make up a jig that would allow the now banana shaped (and about that size too) receiver body, to thread in. It had to tighten in such a way that the valve seat was running true, and in such a way that I could reach a cutter way up thru the bearing, and inside the valve body ... to do some precision machine work. Said jig would have to clamp a bearing onto the lathe bed, and spin the fixture in the lathe head. Lovely.

It worked. I hope I never use it again, and it will go into the drawer of forgotten tooling ... made for special purposes ... then forgotten.

I've been finishing the jig welding of this Bison now. Hope to finish this afternoon. Then, I can make the trigger levers and fit them into the trigger housing. It it seems these Bisons take way too much time to complete ... yeah ... it seems that way to me too. winking smiley I do like the Bison rifles. They are just from a time when there were not as many people waiting, when I felt better, and when working to 11pm ... or all night ... seemed quite reasonable.

Back to it.

Gary
May 16, 2009 12:33AM
Lol, that is REALLY nice!!
If ornate was my thing, I abso-blinking-loutely would have to find the money to get on the list take a bow
May 16, 2009 08:27AM
Let's hope that Garys Bison parallel the American Bison experience. There used to be huge herds of them wandering around the continent, but nowadays...not so much. Nobody want's them to become totally extinct, but most people are fine without having a three-day-long herd of them crossing the street in front of us. grinning smiley
May 16, 2009 11:36AM
Folks may enjoy these looks back at other Bisons:

[www.glbarnes.com]

[www.glbarnes.com]

[www.glbarnes.com]

[en.wikipedia.org] (sorry, couldn't resist) wink

That's a lot of work, Gary. Well done -- they are very uniquely "Barnes." smileys with beer

-- Jim
May 18, 2009 09:45PM
Adn according to Wkipedia, Gary played pro football too, in the early 60's
May 21, 2009 05:48PM
Gary,

what sort of tool it is with which you carve metal? similar rotary pneumatic one as with wood...? I'm not familiar with that kind of work at all, though I'm interested in.
May 22, 2009 03:18PM
For this work, rotary pneumatic grinders. Die grinders. All different sizes of grinders all the way down to tools like dental grinders. Carbide and Diamond bits.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021