Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Forge in Fire - Poor Man's Version

Forge in Fire - Poor Man's Version
August 21, 2017 02:13AM
So been thinking a lot about what it takes to forge steel. I remembered I had an old cast iron pot and spent $11 on black pipe and fittings.

Used compressed air as the blower. I need more charcoal and will try again Monday. Maybe make a little more charcoal so I can get the flame burning hotter and have more embers underneath the workpiece.

Found a piece of railway line for sale and will pickup tomorrow. Seller called it a "poor man's anvil" so suits what I am doing just fine. Now if only I had another two weeks of holidays!

IMG_4269.jpg

If anything at least I can get a few parts hot enough for heat treat when needed.

Thanks for reading.

Pedro
August 21, 2017 03:57PM
Nice Pedrog, and very creative!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
August 22, 2017 02:27AM
Today I got a little charcoal made in the morning. This evening I was able to try again and got the heat high enough for a 7/8 shaft to get turn red.

Least now I know I can heat treat parts in the future if required.

IMG_4289.jpg

Pedro
August 24, 2017 06:09AM
Pedro,

A small, cheap, multispeed handheld hair dryer seems to be standard for these setups for supplying air. Hundreds of design ideas on YouTube.

Lon
August 23, 2017 07:13AM
Pedro
Looks like a working heating apparatus to me . I have a friends kid who made one with a metal folding chair. He cut a hole in in and dropped a pan in like you did . He also used a hair dryer to force oxygen onto the fire . It's amazing how you can figure out so much with so little.

Thanks
Kurt
August 24, 2017 03:59PM
Hi Kurt,

There are many designs out there. I am leaning towards going to propane instead. That way I can burn in the garage and not worry about smoke. Just need to add a CO2 detector to ensure safe operation. Could easily build a small unit and larger. Refractory materials are easy to get in the city.

Thanks for the comments.

Pedro
August 24, 2017 06:25PM
I'd be careful when you sneak that pan back into the kitchen, Pedro. Whoooh ...,

I burnt through several coal fired forges before I went to propane. Gas works well. More forging, less fire tending.

In 1980, I could Coke up a bunch of soft coal with choking yellow sulphur smoke up my shop chimney. But the town changed. Where it seemed like I was on the edge of a field in 1980, by 1991, it was much more urban. Kept going with all the trappings til we thought it was time to go.

I need to fire up my Forge here. Waiting for a nice warm day ....

Gary
August 25, 2017 09:01AM
Hi Pedro
I've got a torch set with a rose bud for as much heat treating I do . It would be nice to have a nice gas forge and I've got the stuff to make it AND started it just never finished assembly yet .

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021