Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 308 Build - 4rth Update

308 Build - 4rth Update
September 17, 2017 03:31AM
Hello all,

Been working on my 308 build last two weeks as I could. An hour or two every evening lathing parts. Cutting threads on a small "micro" Lathe is not easy! 14 threads per inch take many passes as the Lathe doesn't have enough power to take deeper cuts. But I managed to get all the parts made to mount the valve to the rifle. Luckily the valve body I used was made about two years back on a CNC Lathe.

Today I did all the o-ring grooving and final fitting. My anxiety was up as I knew I could potentially have it firing by evening. After assembly, first fill revealed the valve and fill nozzles both leaked. My fault, I used parts from other builds to try to get it firing. Had supper, took dog for his walk, back in the garage. Made a new valve, new valve for fill nozzle and filled to 1500 PSI. Listen for air, no leaks!

The barrel isn't mounted as of yet so I held it in place. I have 308 mold and lathed a pellet just small enough to fit the bore. With about 1400 PSI the 5/8" long pellet launched flush into the wood seen in picture three. Cannot wait to see what will happen at 3000 PSI, stronger hammer spring etc.

Fill nozzle is long due to have to having to add a poppet valve to allow filling. Will work on a shorter nozzle in time.

IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4488.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

Experiencing some jamming when cocking the rifle but will address that when I work through making new parts as many where simply prototyped.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pedro
September 17, 2017 12:17PM
Nice work Pedro. I know it's hard only getting an hour or 2 at night . Your making great progress.

Thanks
Kurt
September 17, 2017 01:34PM
I know that feeling of, "might get to fire it tonight!!!!! excited

Good for you. Hah. Held the barrel on did you? Haha. I'm surprised you didn't launch the barrel.

Just an old man warning. These things will shoot thru stuff you never dream they would. Have an inch of steel around for your test trap. Thumbs up.

Gary
September 17, 2017 08:54PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the warning. I do generally not take risks and machining the pellet/bullet small enough to easily travel through the barrel I think get it from launching.

Will be careful going forward.

Thanks!

Pedro
September 17, 2017 09:09PM
Hi Pedro,

I'm not correcting you. I'm sure you have good instincts. I just know (don't ask me how ...) that stuff gets holes in it. Haha.

It's a lot of fun when you get all the lists checked off, and it's good to go with all its real parts. I'll look at the list, and ALL the yellow dots have turned green!!! Holy Cow!!! It's done???

Last night, I had a knife I was finishing. You always THINK it's almost done .... then three more hours of this and that go by. Well, last night, Kelly texted me around 7:30 - 8:00 .... said it's getting windy. Gonna rain. Storm coming. Well, Saturday night. Long week. Storm coming. She texted. I thought I should just bag it and go up to the house.

Today, I came into the shop. Assembled. It literally took less then 10 minutes. Perfect. Done. I was that close. You never know.

Hary
September 18, 2017 02:02AM
Thanks Gary!

I can identify with what you are saying. You think you are almost done, wife says it's late get to bed, so you delay until the next day. When you get back to it project completed in 10-20 minutes. If only you would have taken the time previously but "happy wife, happy life"!

Of course this can go the opposite, "be in shortly, 10 minutes" and of course 30-45 go by and nothing works!

Pedro
September 18, 2017 01:29AM
Pedro,

Nice. The gun resembles the AirForce air gun line no?

Lon
September 18, 2017 02:05AM
Hi Lon,

My design is based on the Airforce Texan. Dimensions are not the same and added more spring travel. I based sizes on estimating what I thought the Texan might be.

Thanks for asking!

Pedro
September 18, 2017 04:46PM
Nice progress Petro smiling smiley Can't wait til you shooter it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021