Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Wood heater ~ playing with fire

Wood heater ~ playing with fire
November 24, 2017 01:41PM
Hey guys
I had a good amount of time to do some R&D on my latest project as we cooked out thanksgiving goose on the smoker . This is a self feeding wood stove that will heat with minimum amounts of wood . The tube steel is made of 6"x6"X 1/4" steel. I've been wanting to fire it up and check the way it drafts . There is also a 15" pipe that covers the chimney stack and ports out on the bottom giving more of an air space to collect heat and give the afterburner effect to burn exhaust from the initial fire . As you can see from the discoloration on the 22 deg feed tube ( which shouldn't happen) I need to regulate the burn chamber to exactly in the horizontal tube to the 90 deg taller stack and not let it creep up the feed tube.
This design is mainly for small sticks and such and I'm trying to increase the size to use leftover 4x4 cribbing and dunnage from broken pallet we have a work .

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
November 24, 2017 03:28PM
That's neat Kurt.

I have many years of heating with wood and coal. You can fine tune it very well. I got so I could have a firebox hold fire for three days! Banked down tight. If you build a quality seal damper in your vertical stack, you can really regulate your burn.

I know you will have a sleeve over your vertical fire box, but have you considered a damper in that square tube, on a pivot shaft THRU your sleeve .... with some sort of high temp seal for your adjust key. You could make it so you insert a key thru a hole behind a flap door. You are gonna have to regulate that burn.

Neat project. Thanks!

Gary
November 24, 2017 05:58PM
Gary
The damper in the stack is a proven method and would work for slowing down the fire . What I'm trying to do is ONLY burn the very end of the wood / fuel but at a very high temperature and re- burn the smoke/ exhaust as it exits the stack/afterburner chamber. I actually started it burning and then much like Pedro's forge I used a hair dryer to start the rocket burn . It really kicked in and was roaring and then I was playing with covers at the ash clean- out and feed magazine. I had 4 foot flames coming out of the top of the stack when it was firing correctly the way I wanted but I never covered the stack. In my mind I need to control the air fuel at the intake and keep the fuel consistently burning by
the surface area of the fuel burn so I don't have to adjust air intake all the time . Fire is a crazy thing. I also think an insulated chamber would keep the heat high and burning.

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 05:59PM by kurt wag.
November 25, 2017 02:11AM
I've had the secondary chambers to capture stack heat from acouple if my systems. Worked well. Have used long exposed pipe before entering the chimney to get stack heat into the room. Worked well for getting all the heat out of the fuel.

I know you are doing something different. I don't grasp how you maintain a small furious high temp condition without the runaway. And, if the atmosphere inside your secondary chamber is induced to burn at high heat ... wouldn't it be a short event? Unless it's ongoing ...and again, in a runaway condition.

I'm curious to learn how it's done with these new fangled hippy stoves you kids are making .... haha.

Gary
November 25, 2017 01:12PM
Gary
What I will achieve eventually would be a very small fire kinda like a bic lighter where the fuel is only allowed thru a small hole or orifice . The so called fire box would only be 6"max ( size of magazine) x however much I raise and lower the fuel into the burn chamber . Max 6" deep . It would kinda be like a torch made with dry grass wrapped with twine . Only the tips would be burning and the amount of air blowing by will increase & or decrease the burn . There shouldn't be any bed of coals anywhere and the fire shouldn't creep up the fuel sorce BUT the fuel will gravitate to the flame . It will have to be loose in the horizontal magazine .
Finally after the gases / exhaust are heading towards the exit they will re- burn in the first vertical stack ( insulated) . Then the mass of metal will absorb the heat as it follows the drafting to exhaust . Also IF the outer skin covering the insulated stack gets too hot it will need more mass/ heat sink to dissipate. I was thinking of vertical tanks filled with water attached but removable to exterior of the chamber . These could be removable and or with valves to use hot water or open top to use as humidifier .
In my mind it will work to use minimum amounts of wood . It could be a runaway event say maybe 1 hour burn and take 3-4 hours to cool down after the fuel runs out . Or increase the length of the fuel to lengthen the burn time .

Hey you were a hippie not too long ago too . Hehehe what was thatI appreciate any and all ideas from an experienced engineering wonder like yourself ! Or anyone else out there . There are a lot of brain power on the rendezvous.

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 01:15PM by kurt wag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021