Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Modem madness

Modem madness
January 01, 2018 09:10PM
Shop wireless modem worked last night when I closed. Not this morning. Right, it's clearly not a 2018 modem.

I began trouble shooting because 44 years Slug me in a shop REQUIRES podcasts, talk stations, some music, etc.

Modem is on the end of 200 feet of CAT5e cable. One joint in that. I looked at at that joint - not yet buried. Most of it in PVC conduit. Joint elevated and bagged. Some ice on the bag. Cut inside. Seemed ok.

Took modem to the house office. Plugged into house modem. Booted immediately. I brought it up wirelessly on my phone. Listened to iHeartRadio. Modem good. Grateful for that!

Took modem to the joint in the cable about 125 feet down the line. Modem wouldn't pick up house modem. I decided to replace the cable end. I imagined some corrosion. Replaced the next and the double male to male connector. Checked in shop. Nothing. Went back to joint. House office to joint not live. Went up and replaced the office end connection. After all and freezing my buttstock in 36f weather. Nothing. Bummer.

When I got to the shop this morning, I was thinking about this; you ever have a wishbone. You make your wishes and go to break it. It doesn't snap clean so you kinda twist it. Then wind it around, open it up again to snap. Finally peel it back from the crotch of bone. Yeah .... that's how my left leg has been feeling. Didn't sleep much ...again

Sure was fun playing with wires and black boxes today. Now, after having accomplished nothing ... I'll work with my phone jammed against the window.

How about that ....
January 02, 2018 01:05AM
Gary,

Uh..........happy new Year, I think. I'll see your leg, and raise you my aching back. Bummer is, it is the side on the good leg that doesn't have an arthritic knee. This is cool, you should have a shoot where we all sit on the porch of the shop and complain about our maladies.

How do you know that you logged into the suspect router/modem when you moved it to the house and not the house router/modem? BTW, we are probably discussing a router, or more likely "access point".

[en.wikipedia.org]

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 01:08AM by Bigbore.
January 02, 2018 03:41AM
Hi Lon,

Yeah. Wireless Router. My fevered brain.

When I moved it to the house, I went into my phone settings turned wifi back on, and chose the shop Belkin router's name from the wifi list. Then brought up iHeartRadio and played it thru the Belkin Wireless Router. At least I think I did.

Bummer of a waste of time with being no farther ahead.

Gary
January 02, 2018 04:18AM
No storms last night. No loss of power to my knowledge. House Modem with internal wireless router was on this am. All normal. Only oddity was the shop Router showing an orange light - no connection.

I rebooted that unit. Had Kelly reboot the House Modem WITH the shop unit hooked up. Nothing. I even hit the small red reset button on the shop unit and went thru the reboot again. Then went to the wire stuff - clip ends - etc.

Need to run a continuity test in the cable. I have a surplus military meter but never used it. Not sure I have the pay grade for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 04:23AM by barnespneumatic.
January 02, 2018 12:17PM
Gary,

Sounds like I need to make a long distance house call. ha ha. I had something like that on a long run in a TV Station. Was one wire in the Cat5 and we never found the cause. I just ran a new wire and it worked.

You can buy a simple tester that tests those cables and it tells you exactly what is wrong. They are not expensive. They are made the land of Mao and seem to work fine. Much better than messing with an old volt meter and doing jumpers and all that to test each wire.

Good luck on the search.

Larry
January 02, 2018 02:01PM
This morning it is 21 degrees F. And my leg pain was also 21 on a 1-10 scale. So no cable sleuthing today.

Making arrangements to get in for injection. I was hoping for some small moderation in pain to travel. Sometimes it will wind up but fall off again temporarily. Not this time. We are in a linear trajectory just like Buzz Light Year .... WHOOOSH!!!!!!

I thought this darned CAT5e cable would be bulletproof. Good thing it isn't all buried yet. Maybe I'll just stop once in awhile and draw pictures instead of having background commentary.... ohhhhh .... a puppet show would be nice.

Can't get a darned thing on the radio here. Something started burning up the air a couple/few years ago. Surrounded by Elgin military base. Stretches for hours around here. Have tried five different radios. Can get a few TV Preachers (yep - on the radio!), and the occasional local swap meet / cooking show.

Gary
January 02, 2018 07:00PM
Gary,

I wouldn't suspect an undisturbed cable at first with some caveats. You touch anything(move the router or cables) and then have problems? No software changes or updates? Sounds like the cable is outdoors and two pieces. Moving the cable to get around it or by it and/or running over it with the tractor, car, bike, kiddy cart, etc. will be certain death. the splice/connector, especially outdoors where it is subject to condensation, would be highly suspect too.

If you are positive the router is good this would probably be the quickest, cheapest solution. 1 piece, although 100 meters is the limit for this. Get a shorter - 1 piece - run if it will suffice; including the two drops(slack for placement) into the house and the shop.

[www.amazon.com]

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 07:14PM by Bigbore.
January 03, 2018 12:11AM
Lon,

That looks great. He could get it and run it inside then cut to length inside the workshop.

I agree any outside connections or even splice could be a problem spot.

Larry
January 03, 2018 12:40AM
Right guys. The one unavoidable spruce was where I went right away. Didn't full with it. Replaced ends and connector. Nothing.

Nothing disturbed. Walked up Lane with it on at night. Came back down with it off. No trips, stumbles, stomps, skips .... well no more then usual.

Kelly made me promise not to check it today. I've been in severe pain day and night and it was really cold here. About 20 I think.

I'll review your notes Lon. I just insulated a couple forgotten exterior spigots on buildings. The gardens are drained. Pump house heated.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021