Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What it is

What it is
January 09, 2018 05:20PM
Well it's that time of year in Michigan when people all over are using this type of tool . I've made quite a few in the past but this one has teeth! I did weld some nickel rod over the end before grinding and hardening the teeth . This is only the business end of the tool . Any guesses?

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_1265.JPG
Re: What it is
January 09, 2018 07:13PM
Thanks Kurt!

I have an idea. I'll wait a bit though.

Nickel rod? Hummmmm. Can't harden that so it was only for corrosion.

Wait .... it's a "replacement Spine Disc!!!!" WHAT made me think if THAT!!!!!

Hahaha

Gary

I'll secretly send you a post card ...
January 10, 2018 04:14AM
I thought maybe if was a "Chipper Tooth" on a road chipper. Kurt said no.

Lon maybe onto something. Kurt said it was Seasonal.

Gary
January 10, 2018 02:44AM
Regardless of the metal, I'm guessing it is used for ice. Something for ice fishing?

Lon
January 10, 2018 04:25AM
Windshield scraper???
January 10, 2018 10:26AM
Howdy Lon
Your correct . It's an ice spud for chipping a hole thru the ice . We have great walleye fishing here in Saginaw bay and of course they run the rivers to spawn also . There is also great perch and pan fishing for those brave enough to venture out . I will attach a 4-5 foot handle made of solid 3/4" hot roll steel to give some weight behind it . I will also provide a spot for a rope lanyard because occasionally after chopping thru a foot or two of ice people let go as the spud breaks thru to water loosing it forever . Of course we have augers that are gas powered and hand operated drills but a spud works pretty good too and no gas required.
I've always thrown some weld on the edge to make it harder than the steel . It's kinda a hard facing process . The rod actually has molybdenum also which makes it harder than just the steel !

Ps: Gary,
Did you notice my triple hamon? That's right below my yakiba! Yup that's where it is .more innocent

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 03:12PM by kurt wag.
January 12, 2018 01:22PM
Kurt,

You are gonna have Japanese Masters lined up at your truck in the mornings.

You better start growing those chin whiskers. And learning how to work sitting on the floor. bowing. bowing -- Far East

Gary
January 12, 2018 10:23AM
Ready , Set , Gone fishing
Well I got the handle attached and now ready for some chunks to fly . I will go down to the river behind my house and chisel some holes for testing . The last time I did that , there had to be 10-15 deer that came to drink from the fresh cut holes . Life is good

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_1281.JPG
January 12, 2018 01:28PM
Good job Kurt.

Thanks for sharing brother.

Happy fishing. Get some pics of the deer.

Gary
January 12, 2018 01:22PM
Kurt,

Looks like it will get the job done. At my age and in my condition, I'm going to stick with dynamite.hot smiley

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021