Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bi-valve Crustacean Mdl 97 ...,stunned

Bi-valve Crustacean Mdl 97 ...,stunned
January 25, 2018 03:14PM
IMG_9976.JPG

Well .... I just wonder what's under that crust on this old sea shell. You think it will be worth all the Diamond sawing, the grinding? The taking something with a convex outer surface .... and a concave inner surface - and trying to make them both flat? Then, preserve the required thickness so that you have uniformity, and haven't ground away all the pretty stuff. It's not available in nice sheets ya know.

IMG_9969.JPG

But; if you just follow the directions on the shell ..... hahaha .....

You grind and vacuum off as much dust as you can. (This stuff is toxic as heck! Wear a mask.)

IMG_9972.JPG

Follow the lines on the plate stock Aluminum...

IMG_9970.JPG

Then trial fit everything. Etc., etc.

Oh ...... then you find one piece is cracked ..... and ALL of the other pieces you prepared .... are from a shell of a different color. Hummmm......

So you go back to the shells, and parts of shells. And you eventually find a figure eight, back cork screw, twisted up piece.... that (if you juuuuust perrrrrrrfectly cut and grind it) .... miiiiight just work. It works. But you'll never be the same. And this last replacement piece has taken the same time as ALL of the other pieces combined. NUTZ.

Well, it's 7 pm. Leg pounding. CALL IT a night!!!

But hey .... it's gonna be pretty ... do ya think???

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 05:53PM by barnespneumatic.
January 25, 2018 11:44PM
Gary
There's no doubt that nature has done a wonderful job hiding the best part inside . It will take a great craftsman to encourage out the best pieces to the surface. That will be one beautiful set of scales when your finished to compliment your knife !

Thanks
Kurt
January 26, 2018 12:42AM
Thanks Kurt!

You the only one that likes pretty stuff? Or are you the only one who trusts me. Haha.

The Mosaic is all laid up, and curing. It's going to be Gorgeous!

I'm really anxious to do more on this Jules Verne Knife too!

I'm just kind of declaring myself tone mainly healed. I can't wait anymore

Gary
January 29, 2018 01:39AM
Looks like it will be another beautiful creation. Can't wait to see the final product.

Scott
January 29, 2018 02:44AM
Hello Scott,

Thanks. I'm certain it will be a fine piece.

Can't wait to get back to all my projects. The Steroids are making me stronger. The load of antibiotics are kicking in. The woods will be echoing with the sounds of the "White Bearded Thrubber" quite soon.

Gary
January 29, 2018 09:31AM
Gary,

Glad the meds are kicking in. Lots of people sick here too.

We have good med too. Better living through chemicals. ha ha.

Get well soon.
January 31, 2018 03:00PM
IMG_0004.JPG

I was just being funny funny. Poor readers have tried to figure why I would make a pocket knife with valves. I'm sorry. It's the fever. Haha. A bi-valve crustacean is just a lousy old mussel/clam that happens to have beautiful Pearl under its crusty surface.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021