Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What it is

What it is
March 22, 2018 08:41PM
Airguns come in all shapes and sizes . Some are for fun only and some are for serious tasks . Has anyone used one of these ? Larry how bout it ???

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 01:21AM by kurt wag.
IMG_1521.JPG
March 23, 2018 05:24PM
Is that a carnival BB gun used to shoot balloons, targets of sorts?

I have the book featuring the automatic airguns that highlights many of those.

Pedro
March 23, 2018 06:39PM
Hi Kurt,

I have no idea and thanks for showing it. I'll be waiting to see if someone identify that weird airgun.

Best,

Julo
March 24, 2018 03:48PM
Howdy Julio
Good to hear from you . This airgun was produced in the 1930's for military training . It was used for sighting and leading a moving object for hand ~ eye coordination during WWII

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
March 24, 2018 03:43PM
Hi Pedro
This one is NOT the carnival shooter your talking about . It is however in the book your referring to . Pages 48- 88 were dedicated to this mans inventions ! 40 pages !! that's a good amount work for a guy named Paul born in the 1800's . He did eventually break in to the carnival machine airguns later . Some of therm are very well ( heavy ) made and hold up for many years. Only one pistol was made and it was a arcade type shooter that would shoot a nickel as it's ammo . Like taking nickels from the children ! Haha I've never seen one except in pictures .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 09:36PM by kurt wag.
March 24, 2018 04:39AM
Kurt,

You found ONE! I think that is a pellet firing trainer for the Military. The ones I saw used compressed air.

I would love to know more about it. Must have a great story.

NICE.

Way to go.

Larry
March 24, 2018 04:20PM
Hello Larry
Your a winner . It is a military trainer that runs off 24 volts and compressed air . The ID tags I pictured are 2 different styles he made . The first E3 was the spade grip design & the trainee would shoot at a moving miniature airplane traveling around in a circle around a room and the second E13 was a remote control type that had two units married together and shot simultaneously from a remote location. I think they were mounted in the belly of a plane type simulator. Way cool stuff

Thanks
Kurt
March 25, 2018 05:58PM
I appreciate the post. I didn't think it would be much fun if I popped up and wrote "Anti-Aircraft Trainer" a few minutes after you posted it.

Glad you got some conversation

Gary
March 26, 2018 11:58AM
Gary,

I felt like I was cheating a bit too. ha ha but I waited a while before I posted.

We been around so long we know so much.... but I seemed to have forgot most of the important stuff.. ha ha.

Larry
March 26, 2018 11:55AM
Kurt,

Really great find. They are getting rare. Please correct me if I am wrong but specs I found showed those guns shooting about twice as fast as the carnival guns. (the ones I saw look like a Thompson machine gun. The Carnival guns seemed to just blow the bb's out in a stream. Does the one pictured use the AC power to cycle and load single BB's for the air preasure to fire?

I would love to see inside and know it works.

I like the looks of the gun. Very roughly made but made super strong and over built. I would guess many hundreds of young men had their hands on those wood grips. Just think how many BB's were shot through the ones used for training.

I read to be careful and not take of the left cover as it has something to do with timing and to service from the right side only. It was on a forum about rare training guns.

Again, what a great find.

Larry
March 26, 2018 01:30PM
Larry,

You should see Kurt use that thing to keep the squirrels off his bird feeders!

Gary
March 26, 2018 08:22PM
Ahh Larry
So much to tell . Yes they are at least 500-600 fps and 300-500 rpm . Most carnival guns are 280-300fps . The trainers in the pics have a ratchet feed pawl that allows one bb at a time . The E3 army has the spade grips and the magazine which holds 1100 rds is horizontal with a slide port where my finger is pointing . The E13 has no spade grip and a vertical magazine with a rubber bung cover . They usually are mounted in tandem and shoot remotely. So I developed the Y shaped magazine so I could put a sight and spade grip on it and shoot it . The magazine blocked your view . Now the wooden box pictured is a Mallory 24 volt dc converter . I know your electrically / mechanically inclined so you can understand from the pics how it works inside . There are some detent springs and balls that will go flying IF you take off the name plate side .

I do have one that is wrapped in the wax type paper that the military was famous for using to deter rusting but honestly , These Riggs are so hardy that alittle air and a little voltage and your in business . I've heard that the Philip screw heads were invented at the same time these guns were and COULD be one of the first guns to use them .

Like you said earlier if you can only imagine the many young hands that were on those wood grips ( training ) in order to protect MY FREEDOM. Wow

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
March 26, 2018 11:34PM
Kurt,

That is quite a piece of machinery. That's just the way I'd have made it. Haha. Nope. That's quite a bucket of worms. I'll bet it all makes perfect sence to Larry. He can make a scooter out of a guitar, a toaster, and garden hose.

Thanks for sharing

Gary
March 27, 2018 07:55AM
Gary,

I can say I would not want to reverse engineer one from scratch. I agree about a can of worms and would hardly call it simple. Now I guess a few China made chips and some smart person could do all that in half the space and use way less current. It really looks WW 2 era in design. Parts are big and way over built. They did not care about how much power it used. The gun looks way overbuilt to last without fail.

Today it would be molded plastic, no wood, and fall apart after a few thousand BB's. Sigh.

You know Kurt better please get him to make a video of it spitting out BB's. It does not have to be at his squirrels. ha ha.

Larry
March 27, 2018 01:17PM
Larry,

You know how I think. I'm wondering where Kurt keeps this thing. Near as I can figure, going with the classic "Under the bed" location .... Kurt has modified the legs on his to be five feet long. Clever guy.

Gary
March 29, 2018 09:31AM
Nice guess Gary
I've got one mounted on the peak of my house . ( you never know with zombies ) and the other one mounted on my mobile mad max chevy Silverado .( it's made with tornadoes under the hood )

Thanks
Kurt
March 27, 2018 07:44AM
Kurt,

They really over built the heck out of that from what I can see. I wonder if it gets warm inside after a few thousand BB's and that electromagnetic arm slamming back and forth??

Seems to be a lot of thinking and math for a trainer and I am amazed to see how well built it is.

Gary is right I want to see the squirrels running in horror from your bird feeder when you let a few hundred rounds go. ha ha.

I guess the barrel is smooth?? I assume it is not quiet with the action and air pushing out BB's.

I am very glad to see the photos.. Thanks.

Larry
March 29, 2018 09:43AM
Hi Larry
They do hammer pretty loud and definitely get warm . The carnival one he made was hand held and had vented sides . You know they of course develop more power with more air and my air compressor at work is set for 155 psi quite higher than my garage set up . I do have a video of my son and I at work playing around . I'll try and find it . It's amazing though I really remember the smiles the most as people shoot them . Kinda the same with any and ALL of Gary's airguns. It brings a permanent smile to your face . And you immediately gotta get one .

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021