Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bali-Hoooohhhh... laughing

Bali-Hoooohhhh... laughing
June 10, 2018 12:23AM
Lots of work. Doesn't show so much. But it's tedious to do correctly

It will be a fun Knife for our favorite Ninja!

Gary
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG
IMG_2146.JPG
June 10, 2018 12:40AM
Remember. Sharpie line on Single edged Damascus Dagger Blade. Line for layout reference.

Gonna be a fine piece.

Handled get rounded edges so it can be handled and flipped. Sharpe now for layout and clamping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 12:42AM by barnespneumatic.
June 12, 2018 02:04PM
Gary,

As you know that style knife is very common in the Philippines. They are very poorly made and I get them from $3 to $20 each in assorted sizes. But they are often made of scrap metal with simple plastic grips. Crude is being nice to most of them. They are made in shops no vice, and 100% made with hand tools.

That one looks nice and really big or is it just the scale of things on the bench?

I think if you brought that one here and took it to a knife show there would be a crowd around it the whole show. lol

Great looking and complex knife.

Larry
June 10, 2018 01:16PM
Gary
That is a very interesting mechanical knife . When people look at things and see a few moving parts they don't really realize just what goes into the design phase of a complete build. It's easy to copy but to design your own is a whole nuther can of worms. It looks like it's going to be a great piece of work for sure !bad dudesunny

Thanks
Kurt
June 10, 2018 03:27PM
Very True Kurt,

I guess in this era, I should just trace around an existing piece I buy at a Truck Stop. However; it's always been important for me to understand the design principles and build true Custom work. Most customers probably don't care, but I do. That's one of the things that "comes with" a Barnes transaction. It's kinda like a Southern meal. You GET corn fritters. You don't have to eat them, but some enjoy them. I do.

I have an absurd amount of time into this knife. I've never made one before. The fact that a top priority became using Lapis, caused me to use it in a manner which would hold up. Thus; the 8 inlays. If I'd ruin these sides with incorrect geometry, I'm not sure I could go on. I think I'd rather recarve the Verne piece than make these handles again. Haha. And so, I've approached each new phase with that excitement you feel when you know there is a tiger behind one of the three doors you must open. Ha. Really holds your attention.

It's coming along. Thumb's Up. Thanks,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021