Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: boing Request Please typing

boing Request Please typing
June 10, 2018 03:40PM
Feedback.

I know it's an Airgun forum. But would you tell me please, as someone who has followed my work, and is interested in handmade items;

1). Do you like the Stainless Steel Channel designs which I have been showing?

2). Do you like the Titanium work I have been doing?

3). Which do you find more interesting ... With Clip / Without Clip?

4). When I spend considerable extra time in small refinements, such as "polished blade, Hub pivot, interior finish, handmade black scales", obviously I need a dollar more for doubling the build time. Is it a complete waste of time? Every time I do it, the knife goes on life support. It will be sooooo sweet, and Everyone for over forty years has said that "pictures don't do your work justice", but there the knife will sit. Wheezing on an old folding chair, yellow finger tips pinching a Camel Unfiltered Coffin Nail.

Comments Appreciated

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 03:41PM by barnespneumatic.
June 10, 2018 10:51PM
Gary,

Personally I like seeing many of the items you build. Whether stainless, titanium or any configuration. Really do not know what else you need to do get get more people following you. You supply a lot of pictures and descriptions. Keep posting. You have many online and offline outlets from what I gather.

Something has to work out for you, all this effort doesn't go unnoticed.

regards,

Pedro G
June 11, 2018 01:35AM
1) Yes

2)It's OK but Titanium has never been particularly interesting to me ornamentally. I like it on my jets though.

3) Clip is nice so that it doesn't stress pockets. You know I think they could use just a little something so Ya know there is a Barnes in there.

Lon
June 11, 2018 09:40PM
1) Yes, but I like a larger knife for daily use. Also a heavier blade as I tend to use/abuse them. My Barnes are only for more delicate (yes I know they are tough but not good for staple remover, small pry bar, wire cutter, etc all the things you should not do with a knife) cutting and show/dress/ cigar cutting. I also have travel knifes. Inexpensive Schrades or small Bucks or similar that if I forget to pack in checked I am not hurt by losing them. I am NOT going to lose a Barnes to TSA. How many have been lost that way or people scurry around to find a mailing envelope to send home?
2) Ti makes some beautiful colors, as a scale it looks nice, it is tough. Depends on what the rest of the knife looks like. On some i might not like it on others it may be great. Sorry for a non committal answer. (I like the inlays that you do of Lapius, Malachite, Fossil Ivory, Abalone, etc.)
3) I like clips on my bigger work knifes, Not sure on a small one. I agree that it needs a Barnes logo on the clip. Also would Copper work or is it not springy enough and not able to hold spring (shape before deforming on repeated clipping to pocket) enough?
4) I don't know how many people want a simple Barnes, they are well made, functional and clean looking. And do the Job. But most of the high end detailed knifes you put up are bespoke or sold almost as you put them up if you give a picture and ideas about what it is and going to look like. I understand you need to keep the lights on and cash flow is important. But you are right that polished blade, Hub pivot, interior finish, handmade black scales are time/expensive to make and add. On a high end knife it is a small percentage addition, on a simple knife it can be 50% increase in cost (time to make and price ) Just my thoughts.

LOL you should get a job as a electronics test center, checking surge protectors Modems, TVs, Iphones etc. for resistance to EMF pulses and voltage surges. I bet that this issue was never disclosed when you bought the house. "Why everybody down here knows this happens, you know not to be on the telephone line in a thunderstorm,right? said the real estate agent". I have never had an issue with electronics like you run into, but then lightning storms are very rare here (California ) (as is rain except when the mudslides happen !!!)

Gary L
June 12, 2018 04:15PM
Great comments Gary L. And I really appreciate the thoughts they cause me to consider.

Thanks.

The reason I have tried some simpler knives (over my entire career), is because I can sneak in 2-3 days to make something extra. It’s impossible to sneak in 2-3 weeks to make something extra. But, people do insist that they’d far rather see me starve, than to make less. To create a background flow; I went to knives to save my skin. Spending 2-3-5 week’s on an Airgun is too long to stretch the cupboard between checks. So; I thought... I’ll make a background of simplier items. And, you rightly point out ... Gary Barnes Is supposed to make fancy stuff. And I love fancy stuff, and I’m good at it, but the universe also decrees that I SHALL face a load of crap, “within” every 2-3-5 week time span. And so, it’s just simply the maddening routine you see. If my market simply would “allow” a flowing background of smaller items, it could heal. But, the demand to Wow with every post, every project, is just a lot. Even the 7 day 52 week schedule I’ve set for myself doesn’t do it. I get caught. Ah, ah, ahhhhh .... now, now, nowwwww - THAT didn’t take six weeks! ... “No Sir. That’s why it’s priced at $350.” Etc.

The efforts I’ve made with retailers can be summed up thusly: If “I” find a customer. Educate the customer. Inspire a sale in the customer. And then bring them to the retailer ... then THEY will sell said customer the product, and keep 30%. Sweet. My stuff goes onto a conveyer belt. It moves ONE TIME in front of the masses. And then it goes into Indiana Jones’ warehouse. IF someone knows me, and does the research, it can be retrieved by said Retailer. But, said Retailer hasn’t “generated” a sale. They are there to show it once and then ring it up. And EVERY model today is the same. If you can come up with thirty key words, you might surface in a flurry of other like objects.

Everyone patiently explains to me that I have to do shows. (Like I did from 1974-2005), when my health took that option from me. Our Society is soooo keyed to supporting the disabled, but wgen there is a sniff of same with me, it really bums people out. I understand. Everybody prefers youth and health. I did too.

I’ll always do my best. That’s why I put too much in the cheaper knives. But still, I need a background flow. Something to be eaten up by lightening strikes and Meds. You know, fun stuff. Hah.

Thanks very very much Gary L., and readers. Hey, there’s nothing preventing a reader from becoming a buyer. I checked! Ha

Gary B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021