Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: An Electrifying Mystery Story ... with surprise components

An Electrifying Mystery Story ... with surprise components
June 12, 2018 04:06AM
An Electrifying Story!

I keep finding more things (all over) that are fried after the 5 -10 minute storm that took out our internet equipment Sunday morning.

Today, I opened the lowermost “Big Shop” to retrieve an abrasive cut off disc. I flipped the light switch for the overhead fluorescents. Nothing. Then I noticed the dead silence too. None of the ventilation fans were running. I started my search. A bank of circuit breakers in the main box were tripped. And ... two of the box fans I keep running to aggravate the miserable spiders ... were dead. Fried. Odd. That building is well grounded.

Later in the day, I found myself up at the house. Upon leaving to go back down, I walked by my truck. All I do is work, so I don’t use the truck much. So; I keep a trickle charger on the battery. I can see the green LED thru the grill when I walk by. Huh.... no green light. I followed up. Fried. Sitting in the driveway. Extension cord to an outside Ground Fault Plug. (Note to self ... check that too).

Now, in the house, you know our Modem and Wireless Router were fried. The Modem even had a burnt/charred Ethernet Socket. The modem, when shaken, sounded as if it were full of small stones. Components blown apart I guess. Bits of plastic under the modem in the table. This building is also well grounded.

Going to the Studio - between house and lower shop (say 225 ft house to studio - another 100 feet to the lower Big Shop). In the studio, my brand new Witeless Router was blown out of the water. Ethernet Socket fried with puns melted off inside. This building is also very well grounded.

I have to check the Tractor Shed where I have my car on another battery trickle charger. I’ll bet it’s fried too. We shall see.

Now ... here are the SURPRISE facts. My place is a quilt of three properties that were joined together. 2 acres each. House is on one. Truck plugged in there. The Studio is literally a second address. Second utility. And that property has underground lines, with a huge humming transformer in the woods. The lower Big Shop is also on that property. Feed off a huge trunk line underground, from the Studio.

So. Put all that together. Different properties, above ground utility and underground versions. Three ground points. Long copper rods deep into the ground with 4 gauge solid copper wire to the main boxes.

We heard a HUGE LOUD CLAP, right at the house. Inside 30 seconds - 2 more. One I felt solid thru my feet thru the floor of the house.

You know ... I’m gonna add this. I’ve known persons (hired some), that you could just never seem to fully help. Seemed they always had something going. Their needs were just too great to catch up with. And, it has become popular for self help, business, and even Church Gurus ... to suggest shedding yourself of those persons. They’ll drain your energy, it’s said. Well, I can guarantee this: it’s even more draining to be one of those people. And when the friends you’ve known for 20, 15, 20 years - roll their eyes and turn away from “Your Dragness”, it hurts. It seems like the universe can just be a bully. Making you look stupid. This is small taters. But we just filed the claim for the last Router, and filed the new insurance for the two day old one ... when BANG ZAP ZOWWIE!!!! Haha. But you know ... since we have been here ... take ONLY our water management, lightening strikes, and Doctor issues .... and those alone have made me look ill prepared, incapable, and have used up a full 25% of our energy. Who knows what you don’t know?

Well, is THAT an electrifying story ... or pfwwwhat???

Gary
June 12, 2018 06:14AM
LOL, Gary you are to be an old fashioned blacksmith , forge, anvil, foot pumped bellow, etc. None of this fancy electronic stuff, you know; batteries, light bulbs, etc. Just a coal oil lamp and a coal forge and a 3 lb hammer. The universe is trying to tell you something.

No on a more serious note, I am glad you and Kelly are ok. It sounds like a very close lightning strike, they are very unpredictable in what they damage.

Gary L
June 12, 2018 09:08AM
Gary
That is some crazy stuff going on . I would call your energy provider and have them go thru all your service wiring underground to the box . Something has to be wrong . Those surges ( as you know ) should never make it that far. Maybe one or more of you addresses is hot wired and back feeding thru the system. If that electricity is coming into your house and shop that far before blowing a breaker it's got to be dangerous. I know you've said it happens to a lot of people there but I would also check with your closest neighbors and see if they have the same issues.
Good luck my friend!

Thanks
Kurt
June 15, 2018 02:48AM
Sorry to hear of the overload damage. I would be slow to close out the claim as some of the damage can show up over the next few months and may require an inspection to prove your claim. I'm thinking of the compressors for A/C and fridge in particular.

Hope you can get it put back together quickly.

Kent
June 15, 2018 04:19AM
Thanks Kent,

Good advise. Though, at this time ... only insurance I refer to is the policy bought with the Routers each time. But, I’ll be watching for other stuff. We have had strong lightening storms each day for weeks now. But not like last Sunday when we had three strikes.

Cable Guy told Kelly this is Lightening Central. Actually told her there is nothing that works. They’ll just keep replacing them.

Gary
June 16, 2018 12:29PM
Sounds like that was nearly a direct lightening strike. Hopefully that won't happen again. And hopefully you quit finding fried electronics.

Scott
June 16, 2018 05:39PM
Listen to this.

Had to get a few things. On the way back in the Labe, I spoke to our direct neighbor, across the lane. He told me he LOST THREE TREES TO LIGHTENING this week.

This place is nuts. If existing Dino’s exist ... it’s gonna be in our woods ...

Garyh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021