Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Note: PROJECTS. What’s happening, etc. typing

Note: PROJECTS. What’s happening, etc. typing
June 14, 2018 06:36PM
Here in theLand Before Time .... we are in a SEASON of Lightening Storms. Right now, the electricity keeps flashing on and off. Long enough to turn things off that need to be reset.

Lightening and thunder all over. So, we have electronics shut down.

Here’s my Outline:

Working on Gary’s Verne Inspired Art Knife

Working to open a couple of Airgun projects.

Wowwww. Ground rumbling. Concrete Studio floor vibrating......

Doing the Balisong piece.

Doing the Spun Copper Hunter

Doing a Special Dagger I was asked to do.

You know why there’s a list here. Why I can’t just do things in Linear order. I know you get tired of me weaving reality in here. But, I simply must fill in the gaps with timely income when the needs don’t match the mailbox. Of course these projects pay. Some are scheduled. Some are cash on delivery. But; the schedules rarely match the life schedules. I do my best. Plz take a look at the things I post for sale. I evidently never use the correct words to indicate the need there - and so I guess it’s also not clear how this kind of stress might effect an artist’s work, and health. I do my best there too. The quality seems to be on auto-pilot. I do it to my required standard, even if Imhalf dead. But the health part - stress induced, is quite variable.

Just read between the lines and take a look at things. I’d appreciate it.

Stop back later. I’ll have some pics.

UPDATE. THANK YOU for the recent purchases. It really moves the work load along and lets me concentrate better. God Bless.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 10:28PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Note:
June 18, 2018 10:22PM
Working on the Verne Inspired piece today. The interior lock surfaces, plunger, stuff.

It’s coming along fine.

Heat treat this big blade soon.

Gary
Re: Note:
June 20, 2018 12:28AM
1013F4D8-1F46-43E4-8DEE-39531A9CC4DB.jpeg

Ok. This huge folder blade is hardened. It’s a real challenge to get them straight and true. Yo get the heat right. You can see by the scale on the blade, that this “differential heat treat” is even and accurate. Uniform. Unless you do it, I’m sure it’s hard to get excited about this pic. I’m thrilled with it.

Best,
Gary
Re: Note: PROJECTS. What’s happening, etc. typing
June 20, 2018 01:31AM
Actually I am thrilled to see the blade. I can tell where the hardening line is. I do know on some of the blades you can see the line after polishing . Its nice to know what it looks like before all the polishing effort goes in to the blade.

Any thoughts on "earth to Moon " by Verne? I will forward an illustrated abbreviated version to you in a few days for possible consideration by you.

Have you ever worked with meteorite for inlay. (Iron Nickle) On etching big crystals of metal. [www.google.com] Not sure how they etch it. here is an article [www.meteorite-times.com] THis may be beyond what can be done to get a small piece for inlay. (may not get a lot of crystal structure.) I would supply the meteorite. or you can search ebay [www.ebay.com]

Let me know if this has an interest for you, I am open to suggestions on what inlays to try.

Gary L
June 20, 2018 03:00AM
Hi Gary,

Interesting threads here.

Oh yes ... Earth to the Moon would’ve a great one.

Kelly got me the Illustrated “Round the World in 80 Days” that you showed/linked. The Comic Book format. How about the guy with the sideburns that stick out 5” on each side! Haha.

Lots of material there.

I’m fairly well experienced with acid etching. I could bring out the crystal structure. Interesting. No, I’ve never had any meteorite samples. Could be very interesting.

Glad you found the continuation of the post. I’m sure you saw the engravings 95% done. Don’t think you commented on those last threads. Thought you may be away.

Thanks for all,
Gary
June 22, 2018 03:56PM
Set up to Heat Treat the Bali-Song Damascus Blade today.

Yesterday afternoon I prepared. Now,this Damascus is an Oil Quench Blade. So I had to get a vial of oil suitable for that size/length blade. I walked into the lower shop. Fans off. Found small fridge off. Ice compartment melted and drained onto the particle board crap shelf provided with shop shelving kits (right - where’s the walnut boards! Right???). The board had sunk two inches into s bathtub shape. About to dump the fridge.

Shop was .... warm. Oh .... fun.

So I checked out the breaker box. Odds and ends. I still fear transformer damage from all the lightening storms. It all gets Rolled I to all the fun of being self employed. (Yeah ... I know I did .... but I opened my business at 19 and figured ............ 19 year old stuff). Haha.

An hour and four minutes later, I’m back in the studio for a change of my third Tee shirt if the day. And, that had only been from brief chores here and there. The Studio has A/C - sure. You have to.

So; where was I. Heat treat blade today. Ya thought I forgot didn’t you.
June 22, 2018 07:55PM
Gary,

You use clay on the portion of the blade you don't want to harden, correct?

Lon
June 23, 2018 05:37AM
Hi Lon,

The Clay jacket is one method of doing a differential heat treat. The steel under the clay coating will heat a bit slower in the preparation for quench, and the covered steel will cool slower during quench.

Other factors:

Damascus alloy composition.

Layer Density

Pattern of structural Damascus

Heat Applied to differing areas of the blade to be quenched.

Tempering applications post quench.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021