Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sharing the hobby

Sharing the hobby
June 13, 2009 03:37AM
One of my boys has a friend spending the night tonight. I had the pleasure of meeting my son's friend's dad tonight and after the normal greetings and because Timmy brought it up, I showed off the Prairie III, the Woodsman and the Maverick.

Fortunately, I had just cast some .62 slugs the other day and we had a bit of daylight left. I quickly sized 3 slugs and we shot a jug that was handy. I took the first shot and the jug exploded. Then I handed the gun over and explained the trigger etc. Like always, I heard the first stage click before it would have had I been shooting. Nobody ever seems to actually get what I mean when I describe the trigger action. It has happened enough that I know I need to get better with my instruction... Anyhow, there was great joy and exuberance after the shot. I took the third shot offf the fill and smashed the target again and that ended the session as it was getting dark.

Nothing says "this is not just another BB gun" like actually shooting a big bore and having a gallon jug 40 yards away explode! Lots of fun! And, maybe another guy interested...
June 13, 2009 08:37AM
It's always a good idea to introduce a potential new shooting enthusiast, especially when they leave with a big grin on their faces. Despite what the anti's would have people think, it a rare person who isn't at least a LITTLE bit interested in guns and shooting. Everyone that I've taken out as a new shooter has really like it, even if they didn't end up getting into it as a sport. The more people who know firsthand that shooting is a regular, safe, enjoyable sport and hobby instead of something unpleasant and scary, the better off our sport is. Good job!grinning smiley
June 13, 2009 01:58PM
Yeah ... same experience here whenever I get to hand over a rifle (after carefully explaining the trigger). You get a point in the general direction of the target .... a nearly immedia... BOOM!!!! ... eye popping smiley followed by an expletive, and more confused a really startled/confused look. Next comes a lengthly critique typing , by the shooter, of the trigger's characteristics. The second and third shots, are where the big grins start to show grinning smiley in my experience.

Glad the fella didn't shoot the china off your mantle. haha. Would have loved to hear what the guy told is wife upon returning home. "Yeah ... I dropped off Billy ... the place is full of guns ... I shot a cannon ... picked up a half gallon of milk ... and here I am".

laughing again

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 02:01PM by barnespneumatic.
June 14, 2009 07:57AM
Interesting, Jerry. I've shown a few friends my guns and they are awed but I don't offer a shot, as it's usually on a social visit and after a beer or two is not a good timegoogle eyes. Thinking back though, my first introduction to airgunning was at the age of 11, and a friend had an old springer. I remember vividly two things, firstly I shot at a garden stake at close range and the pellet came back and hit me in the little finger (don't shoot yer eye out!). Second, was when I shot little bird, can't remember what it was, but I was so horrified at causing its death that I never used my friend's gun againsad smiley
Anyway, apart from shooting the odd .22 rimfire at rabbits in later years (badly, as I recall) it wasn't until we moved to our present home that I felt the need for an airgun to control the burgeoning rabbit population. This was around the year 2000. I purchased a.177 Gamo, having been assured it would do the trick on rabbits and possums. Well, it did for rabbits but when I took 5 shots to bring down a possum, I knew I needed more. Along came the Falcon, and I never looked back. And finally, much later I picked up a Sammy 909 and the size of the hole in the end of it was so impressive I had to have a big bore. And another, and another and another!!fudd
I guess we've all come to airgunning in different wayssmiling smiley
Cheers
Neil
June 14, 2009 06:17PM
Interesting path there Neil. I remember sitting in a huge oak tree and shooting a BB at the trunk of the tree. That was my introduction to bounce back. The BB hit me square between the eyes and just high enough that it left what looked like a Hindu dot. Fortunately my mark of shame faded fast but I still think abount bounces...
June 14, 2009 06:11PM
Well Gary, I guess my trigger explanation wasn't THAT bad. wink The guy actually got a nice shot off and did not pull through the second stage inadvertantly. He just tripped stage one a little early as despite my description, he thought he might rest his finger against the trigger. It's a shame it was near dark so we couldn't shoot anymore.
you'll shoot yer eye out!
June 15, 2009 06:34AM
I wonder how many airgunners didn't get their introduction to airguns by pointing a Red Ryder at something they shouldn't have and getting a riccochet back in the kisser as a reward? Good thing they don't have a .62 inch bore on those things, ain't it?winking smiley
June 23, 2009 12:08AM
Introducing the hobby to newbies is always good and satisfying, espcially to see the joy and wonderments on their faces. However, sometimes it also can be risky. I took a friend to hunting some jackrabbits once, I handed him a Ruger 10/.22 magnum and explained to him that never ever to point the barrel at anyone direction, and always have the safety on and point the barrel down on the ground except before shooting. And I also making sure that he understood the safety button. 10 minutes later into the hunt, when I turned around I saw the barrel pointing at me from 30 feet away, I told him to point it to the ground and walked over to see if the safety was on, it wasn't!! a chill ran up my spine! I didn't yell at him but told him to be extra careful about the safety button and not to ever to point the gun at me again. He had never hold a real firearms before that's why I have un understanding for him. But nevertheless, that was dangerous, the .22 magnum had blew the hole the size of the grapefruit in the jackrabbit before and would do the same to human. I had introduced a lot of guys to hunting and shooting, and I've noticed some are careful and some are real careless and easily forgotten what I taught them. Needless to say the careless one would never get to hunt with me again!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 12:45AM by peter-n.
June 23, 2009 02:04PM
That's the reason to began teaching gun safety early in life. Start with the suction cup darts - thru the BB guns - on to the .22 rimfire - and then to the heavy stuff. It's a real up hill effort if the community/culture doesn't support the shooting sports. Introducing guns to adults is a challange if the adult is not into following rules, or doing complex tasks.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021