Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Weighing Pellets

Weighing Pellets
June 16, 2009 04:19PM
Been reading Precision Shooting Magazine a lot of late....

The rimfire fanatics have demonstrated that sorting non-match ammo by rim thickness, wieght of the round and length can reduce groups size sometimes by 50%.

Is it likely we airgunners would see changes in group sizes by shooting pels of like size and weight?

Or is it going to be more likely this will be a gun to gun issue? That's where I am.....see below...

I think after you found a pellet the gun likes (unsorted), and you have it grouping well:

My Diana 75 would not change groups much.its already uber-accurate (even with me shooting it... smiling smiley )

My tuned Crosman Phantom would see group decreases

My tuned B3-1 cheapie would see group decreases

My untuned B3-1 cheapie would not see much change

Thoughts? or am I off base here.....

dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 04:24PM by dan_house.
June 17, 2009 12:29AM
I think anything you do to reduce variability will lead to better group sizes. That's why you look for a string of shots with consistent velocity and why you try to use a consistent hold and technique. That's why the boys offer match grade ammo. Some folks will gladly pay to make sure their ammo is very tight in weight slug to slug because it cuts down a variable. And, it beats sorting the stuff yourself... laughing again
June 17, 2009 01:50AM
Hi Dan,

Yeah - you are right. Sorting is a biggie when it comes to accuracy. You can't shoot lousy ammo well. You can get away with it at shorter ranges, but as you go on out there ... "the rot sets in" google eyes and things go astray.

You sort ammo ... but the #2 and #3 grades aren't just tossed. They are fine for say ... getting on target with a new scope. Getting an idea of "drop" at a given distance. Once you get dialed in, and you've calmed down a bit so your bench technique settles down to a clean cycle ... then you can reach for the good stuff. Once you start shooting big bore to about 2" @ 50 yards, or 4" at 100 yards ....then the slugs and good technique will improve what you've already accomplished.

Good topic, Thanks.

Gary
June 17, 2009 07:16AM
I suppose you could weigh the pellets you find around here, as long as you give 'em a chance to dry out first. They come out of the moose kinda sticky, you know. whistling
June 17, 2009 02:55PM
I'll bet you have some mighty annoyed Moose up there too, if you are shooting them with "Pellets". more confused

Gary
June 18, 2009 12:06AM
I had no idea within 1gr was good enough! Time to lower the standards!!!rolling happy smiley
June 18, 2009 07:52AM
Oi, Jerry, please note that that was my standard for me, not the one I expect from you!!!knucklehead
0.0001 from now on, please......wink
June 18, 2009 11:53AM
.0001? Time to raise prices! excited
June 17, 2009 07:35AM
Hello Dan
I normally (except for last Sunday's shooting..see the Gear Shack section) sort all my pellets or slugs prior to shooting. I weigh them to within 0.1 of a grain for smallbore, and within 1 grain for bigbore. I also visually inspect them for defects and reject anything dodgy. I have no doubt that it helps. The only exception is the match grade Barnes Raptors that I import...Jerry and his boys do the weighing and sorting for mesmileys with beer
Cheers
Neil
June 18, 2009 04:11PM
neilmcp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Jerry and his
> boys do the weighing and sorting for mesmileys with beer

Yikes! it just occured to me that your downunder somewhere......and having that stuff shipped.....oy!
June 18, 2009 08:05PM
True Dan. I have to get permission from the bank manager before I fire each shot.....google eyes
June 18, 2009 04:47PM
It's the other way around, Gary. The pellet come shooting out of the moose, you see. whistling
June 18, 2009 06:03PM
Oh. confused I see. knucklehead

It's the handicap of living in the lower 48 ya see. Takes us time to get the "rural" jokes. haha. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021