Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Updates:

Updates:
August 18, 2018 12:09AM
Elephant on my foot items.

I’m making the interior components for Gary’s Verne knife.

Back ... Saw Gary’s name on the page and hoped to catch him ..,,

That’s almost done.

Sorry for this season of pain and headaches. It’s been pretty relentless. Makes it hard to think sometimes. I did make the lathe turned Tool Steel locking plunger for Gary yesterday. After the careful high speed turning, it was time to cut it off the bar, turn it around, bore it. I’m as careful as I can be. Try to be extra careful when I feel rotten.

Well, I used the lathe cut off tool specially ground for clean accuracy parting of small tool steel items. I cut down almost thru. Now, the end didn’t have an easy way to contain thecut off. I certainly wasn’t going to just grab it with fingers. And I wasn’t going to mar the rapidly turning item. Well, I decided to catch it in a small tray. And, it worked. As I celebrated my good catch ... a plastic projection on the small tray touched the spinning lathe chuck jaws. “CHATTER BINGGggggg.... Boom”. The boom was the item breaking the sound barrier while heading roughly Northeast.

Well .... interesting factoid. I looked just a bit but it’s the size of s pencil eraser in a shop of a hundred thousand things. Ha. Yeah, I grumbled a little but just started making another. Every once in a bit, on my way for a tool ... I’d pick up my flashlight and look a few minutes. Go back to making the newest new one. Thought crossed my mind a few times that I was glad it wasn’t my fingers which flipped the lathe chuck. And, they hadn't because I try very hard to be responsible - not work when I’m not safe.

Well, on my last trip for a drill bit, I had the thought again. And without stopping I just said a quick few words like .., “Father, thank you that I didn’t get hurt.” And then, inside the next stride, I saw/reached down and picked up the part off the floor. Out in the open. Not under or inside. Just in the isle. I’d just never taken that path yet, with that focus ... or mindset.

How about that? Now, I can’t claim that’s what Gid does with his days ... but I was what I hear being called a God Wink”. Smile. And now I have two of these parts. And have a use for it too.

Just sharing a story some will enjoy. I’ve been working. Slower then I’d like. I’ve also had to take a few breaks. Handful of ibuprofen and Kelly strongly suggests 20-30 horizontal. I do have the ability to greatly benefit from even 20 minutes. And I usually beat the wake up text by two minutes. Weird. But, I just wanted you all to know that I think I’m using my time to the best Ive been able. I never forget that good folks are waiting for me.

God Bless,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 12:45AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Updates:
August 24, 2018 12:23AM
He works in mysterious ways....
I'm glad you found the part. And definitely keep your fingers out of the lathe chuck!

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021