Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: STORM NEWS - Gary and Kelly

STORM NEWS - Gary and Kelly
October 11, 2018 02:20AM
FOR MY READERS: WE ARE SAFE. THANK YOU

We had electric service flickering from early afternoon on.

And ... our Generator failed. Hahhhh ... look ... there is still one guy in the back that is surprised. Hahaaah.

I worked on the cursed thing for about two hours. It only got worse (storm and generator).

While I worked, Kelly watched the trees swaying and grew less happy about the whole thing. Power went out about 2:30-3pm.

We had prepared both to stay, AND to bug out. We left about 3:30pm. Oddly, I-10 was barren. We cruised West. We’ll check on power tomorrow. Take it from here. We don’t know what damage we may have. Many trees and big limbs were down on and along roads as we were crossing the smaller roads to I-10.

As you may know ... the Florida Panhandle is nothing but Long Leaf Pine Trees, Yupon Holly Scrub, and Live Oak trees. It’s so densely covered in trees and shrubs, that you travel between green walls wherever you go. I don’t like that feature - but such it is. So; avoiding trees in a hurricane is only possible it you hit the coast to one side or the other of said storm. Otherwise ... you must drive North until you break out. We could make the fastest, safest Progress, by heading West and South.

Thanks for all of you who have thought of us. That means a lot to me.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 02:28AM by barnespneumatic.
October 11, 2018 06:52AM
Gary,

I was totally shocked the Generator did not work.... OK not that shocked. If it were me it would have burned to ground so you have that going for you.

Bugging out is not a bad idea. I am so glad you are both safe.

Big trees growing in sand and strong wind with lots of rain to wash the sand away...... what could go wrong???

Glad it missed you both with the eye.

Be safe,

Larry
October 11, 2018 09:13AM
Gary
That looked like a close call for you and miss K . I hope the damage is minimal. I know you have a water reassignment program ( trenches ) and hope it worked well . I've actually made rabbitat's all over my back 40 . I just cut the trees small enough to push with the tractor and create a pile off the trail . It helps the wildlife.
Good luck and glad your safe .

Thanks
Kurt
October 11, 2018 02:25PM
Thanks Kurt and Larry, and All from the other thread who thought of us.

I’m hoping my Home and shop doesn’t look like a rabbitattat now. Power still out according to net.

1-10 closed at our exit.

On the property, we have a couple of deep burn pits. I put grid wire over them when burning to catch floaters. Works well to get rid of debris. Suspect they will be busy.

We have to avoid piles. Don’t like snakes. Yuckkkkkkk.

Tractor will be busy too. I’ll clean up a bit as I can.

Thanks again everybody. Plz continue to think of us. Don’t forget the several pieces nearly finished. Heard from a customer/friend who got two knives yesterday. Hey! He liked them!!!!

Gary
October 11, 2018 03:25PM
Sounds like you got lucky. Glad to hear.
October 11, 2018 06:43PM
Thks Steve,

We are safe but we don’t know anything about our property. Power out. Not sure if roads are open. Heard this AM that even the Interstate going by there was closed. So we wait until we can go check to learn what we are dealing with.

Best,
Gary
October 11, 2018 04:45PM
Good to hear you and miss Kelly are ok.
October 11, 2018 09:56PM
Gary,

Good to hear you and Kelly are safe. Hope your home and property faired as well. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
October 12, 2018 12:04AM
WE ARE HOME! Lots of dead wood and branches down, but NO DAMAGE. THANK GOD. WE PRAY FOR THOSE WHO NEED GOD’S GRACE AND HELP

We are in our home tonight. Having Kelly’s soup for dinner, as I type.

We are Blessed.

Gary and Kelly.
October 12, 2018 01:41AM
Gary and Kelly,

Great news. Not everyone was that lucky. So glad all is standing.

Do you have power?

I know you are busy.

Be safe,

Larry
October 12, 2018 02:34AM
Thank you Larry,

Very much.

We DO HAVE power. We even have the house cooled as of now.

As per recommendations from Authorities, we spent the night before last where we intended to weather the storm. That was the Studio facilities - Steel Building on Concrete with steel rods to the center of the earth. It has Kitchen, Bathroom, Sleep accommodations. One reason we bought this property. However; it’s cramped, different, and .... Kelly didn’t sleep a wink. Then we bugged out. Different temporary accommodations and ... Kelly didn’t sleep a wink. (I fight pain all day, I can sleep on top of a flag pole). But .... a huge blessing today .... Our COO gets to sleep tonight.

Gary
October 12, 2018 08:10AM
Gary and Kelly,

Glad you have power, Glad the eye missed you both. I admit I was worried you might be weeks without power so you dodged one there.

Clean up will not be fun but at least you did not have trees lifted off buildings.

Gary I hope Kelly gets some sleep ......

Glad you are back to BPS.

Larry
October 12, 2018 11:15AM
I'm glad to here you are both safe. Try not to hurt yourself cleaning up the homestead!

Scott
October 12, 2018 11:05PM
Thank you Scott,

I’m gonna try to do what I can. I have verified that ... if you have a badly sprained wrist (with a highly suspected broken part), then pulling a generator start cord 150 Times isn’t a good idea. It bites you in the buttstock later.

That thing was all prepared with a new air filter, checked, running like a top. Put in gas with stabilizer. Then, a week or month or unknown period of time sneaked by I guess ..... while I was lounging thru eleven hour work days, and ... ..... .....

Well ... who knew ? Haha

Gary
October 13, 2018 01:10PM
Gary,

I'm so glad that you and Kelly are safe and back home. It's a real blessing that your property made itthrough so unscathed as well. God was clearly looking out for you both.

Karl
October 14, 2018 12:40AM
Thank you Karl

I had a text exchange with an old friend last night. He shared a completely tragic situation in his extended family. And I felt so bad for the people involved. I said that so many things are just plain wrong. And then, I’ll find ... when I’m feeling extra sorry for myself or something .... ... a Hurricane will miss us. Not the thing that I had my focus on .... I’d have probably picked, “heal my arm/wrist” .... but .... “missed by a Hurricane?” .... way better.

Thanks very much Karl.
Gary and Kelly
October 15, 2018 07:47AM
Every cloud
I'm sorry for your friends loss . Those hurricanes are so quick and fleeting but leave such a wake . I always complain about the flood water but I sure wouldn't trade it for wind !

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021