Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: BIG BORE RANGE SESSION - 50 Caliber - Why is THIS GUN INTERESTING? shooter

BIG BORE RANGE SESSION - 50 Caliber - Why is THIS GUN INTERESTING? shooter
January 04, 2019 03:32PM
I’ll post my story in running segments as I write. I’ll start with a brief story of the development of the gun, and why it’s innovative.

1BE7ECB8-92EF-48F7-AA87-AFA4E0BB11C4.jpeg

The first thing which catches my eye is the unique loading port. It’s a “Geo-Port” design. The shooter simply pushes the center section of the Reciever over about 30 degrees. The motion is smooth and fluid. The internal O Rings offer just enough resistance so that the Gate stays where it’s placed. Because the blast of air is 90 degrees to the direction of rotation, it stays in place with no mechanical lock. It takes advantage of Geometry to create a very unique loading port. Even in this 500 Foot Pound Gun, it’s smooth and secure.

Next, notice this is an Exterior Hammer design. There are two side lugs fitted with inset O rings to provide a slip free, easy cocking system. And it all works snugged in under the Scope.

Next ... and VERY nice ... this Beast of an Airgun is POWER ADJUSTABLE! Since it’s a Smooth Bore I planned that the gun could use barrel “Inserts” to fire SUB CALIBER slugs such as 25 caliber Barnes designs (the very popular 4-9 ring slugs that “Sure Fire” made hundreds of thousands of copies of), and an ARROW FIRING insert.

I hadn’t seen the rifle in 8 years. It’s been thru a few owners. When I had the chance to acquire it, I was thrilled to see how it’s fared.

I’ll be back with additions to the story and pics of testing. I didn’t just strictly shoot a bunch of targets. I was testing new slugs from a new mold and new sizing die - EXACT COPIES of the originals made with the same cutters on the same machines as for the originals (which didn’t transfer). BTW ... I’m not trying to over emphasize that the tools didn’t transfer ... it’s important to understand BECAUSE I’M VERIFYING ITS PERFORMANCE.

More in a bit ... don’t want to loose this ...

Thanks for following the FIELD TESTING (plus 8) of this most interesting and unique Barnes Pneumatic 50 Caliber. OH BTW .... this was THE FIRST BARNES 50 CALIBER.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 03:44PM by barnespneumatic.
January 04, 2019 06:34PM
Hi Gary
What a versatile airgun . I know others have done the Barrel inserts ( who knows how accurate) but even the loading gate is swinging! It's too bad that it didn't work out for the other owners but you know something's just get lost and don't stay together and then what the heck do I do with it NOW !
It looks like a monster of a gun and I'll bet the roar of coming to life was exciting. Some shooters are so focused on FPS and shot count . Well it's all fine and dandy as long as the accuracy is there . I'm hoping for a nice sunny bunch o days fer ya to shoot!

Thanks
Kurt
January 04, 2019 08:49PM
Thanks Kurt!

It was a bunch of fun.

I couldn’t do it all. Didn’t have the chrono fired up.

You know, I’ve been concentrating on knives for a good while. So I’ve had to gather a few things and blow off the dust. I got it.

Today I began more work on the Outrider 50’s barrel. But I need to weld two things during the time pulling process. Lightening storm knocked out my primary MIG welder in the weld shop. My stick welder would be rather awkward for the task. I’m pressing an old small MIG back into action. But it needed servicing for an old problem. Always something to work on before I can work. I’m wrestling it.

Thanks. I’ll post more pics after while.

Gary
January 05, 2019 12:59AM
Gary,

In my line of work I have been on every work shift you could imagine and some you couldn't. Years ago I would get home after a tough swing shift from 4:00p - 12:00A and have a beer on the back porch. On more than one occasion I would watch the most amazing lighting storms off on the horizon, literally non-stop strikes. Miami is no stranger to lightning strikes but I have NEVER heard of anybody losing so much equipment to them in my 60 years down here. Yes, you will here the occasional story but you must be living on top of the second largest deposit of copper in the world.

Lon
January 05, 2019 01:38PM
Hi Lon,

I’m gonna add that to my flag - atop the Hundred foot Copper Barnes Pneumatic Flagpole in the Courtyard! “Barnes PneuZZZaaaapppOmatic!” We Weaponized Weather!!!

Hah

Gary
January 05, 2019 06:10PM
PART 3 (sorry - out of order). FINAL PART OF 1st RANGE SESSION:

D1D19424-C08B-43B5-B9CC-A0AEE6156983.jpeg

I decided to draw a Bad Guy on a block of 2 by 6 to see how the slug penetrated. This is my age ole politically correct bad guy. “Bird Brain Thug”.

I just sat the block loose to provide NO backer resistance at all. I didn’t want to adjust the scope and take sighters - light was fading. I decided to just “Hold Off”. Then I recalled .... Duhhhh ... I have mil dots! So; I took a quick peek at the first target ... lined up .... BANG!

AFDA86AC-EC3B-4EE6-BABE-FC8138658D29.jpeg

Whattttt???? I looked back down again .... arghhhhh!!! Can’t count!!! 2 mil dots, not three!!! So now I’ve ruined my target. Nuts. What the heck ... shoot another shot ... 2 mil dots. But my heart wasn’t in it. I knew I’d blew it and though I did circle the desired POI ... I’d ruined the fun. I was SUPPOSED to bury the right side of my horizontal line about 2 degrees to account for how the cardboard had settled. I suspect I checked the Mil dots but buried my horizon alignment too much. That’s enough to toss the slug. Anyway ... I missed!

6C80F00A-6C93-45EA-BD3E-C756C65D3C4E.jpeg

No matter ...

On the second shot, the block didn’t even flinch. The slug punched the block and plywood effortlessly.

3578109C-291C-42E5-A6EB-8814AF34E6E8.jpeg

Always lots to see and learn, even from just a few shots!

Hope you enjoyed your break!
Gary.
(Catch part 2 here ... the order got mixed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 06:21PM by barnespneumatic.
January 05, 2019 12:02AM
PART 2. CONTINUED:

Working tonight. WiFi is spotty / keeps dropping out. I’ll do short segments and save them.

Ok ... I acquired the 50 Smoothie with a really nice scope mounted. I didn’t want to introduce more variables or loose the freshness of my first shots with the gun again. So; I didn’t fire off a bunch of “Sighters”. I just did the #1 first shot which was my first shot with the gun in roughly 8 years. The gun ... lets just call it a rifle although it’s mounted as a Smoothie now. But instinct is to refer to our “rifles” ... “air rifles”, etc.

Ok. I checked the rifle over visually, and worked a few parts. Oiled the valve stem. Ran a few drops of oil into the hammer/sear area. You know I cast/graded/sized new slugs. Then I set out a sheet of cardboard at 30 yards, drew a 50 cent sized bull, a horizon, and a vertical line. I had no idea where the scope was set. It was on 10X. I left it there. The only adjust I made was with the eye piece focus. Just a tweak to fit my vision. I was ready.

CA7A5284-AC7F-4688-B3F5-5EA78E44FA32.jpeg

My notes said I tested it Memorial Day 2011 at 2,850 psi. I set the reg for that. Had air enough for awhile if wanted.

I bagged the gun. Sized, lubed, and loaded a new 365 grain slug sized to .494”

Eased back the hammer. Took the sight picture. Pulled the stick into my shoulder. Gripped the Pistol grip tightly with my hand while leaving my index finger isolated and relaxed. I refined my sight, horizon check. Squeezed trigger ........

ROAR!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 06:19PM by barnespneumatic.
44D9AB5C-E49B-4E3B-8A17-D47CEC4545EA.jpeg
January 05, 2019 12:16AM
THWACK!!!!

Huh. Interesting. The aim and strike are not far apart. I’ll leave it that way.

I wanted to check the slug’s tracking. Let’s go see ...

While walking .... WOW!!! That thing is a BEAST!!!

Solid sharp recoil punch. The trigger felt clean. And the hole looks round ...

Remember, the placement is irrelevant. This was my first shop. A function Fire and a check on the new slug, slug size, and flight characteristics. The strike being close to aim is a bonus. And the hole geometry looks very good. See; I’m checking for whobble (would be indicated by a fishtail track and keyhole entry). You see that the cardboard was compressed equally all around the sheared center. This isn’t end game, but a great early indication.

More ... just lost wifi
3685BDD3-3999-4E19-AE4C-5E6E5DE59557.jpeg
January 05, 2019 12:29AM
Ok. I knew what to expect now. While I’d been cautious and was experienced, I was still intrepid... and would never trust my first shot. I set back and laid in three shots in a row. I’d still not say this was proof positive of “best group”. I wasn’t warmed up. I haven’t even shot in some time. And I was certainly just coming to grip with the rifle after eight years. Even considering these things ...,

DA8957F8-C2A1-4E34-A69C-36E391AC8A41.jpeg

It’s a good group. You never accidentally shoot a tight group. So; it would only get better. The gun works well. The slugs fly. The slugs group.

Excellent!

More coming .... I did more and took more pics. I have to try this repaired MIG welder.

And next Range time, I have a second new slug to verify - my copy of my original. This full casting is 265 grains. Not bad to hit it exactly 100 grains different between my Light and Heavy 50 Smoothie Slug.

Thks
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 12:33AM by barnespneumatic.
January 06, 2019 01:32AM
Incredible groups for a smooth bore. Scope having been mounted and not touched for years. Really shows the quality of the rifle build. At least that is my conclusion having read a lot about rifles over the last few years. Early muskets were smooth bore and wasn't till rifling was invented that accuracy increased.

I love the rifle design and loading port. Slick design smiling smiley

Pedro
January 05, 2019 01:12AM
Gary,

Looks like 1" CTC, tracking perfectly.

Gun looks familiar. Bet there is an interesting story in there somewhere. Ever hear from Jim(wasn't it?) from PA? His Bison was an all-time favorite of mine.

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 01:13AM by Bigbore.
January 05, 2019 03:28AM
Hi Lon,

I’ll enjoy shooting more. And, I want to turn it down and shoot the lighter slugs too, in that state of tune.

Is the popular interest still to turn it up to 11 and squeeze that extra FPS out of everything? I do believe I’d like to find it’s sweet spot ... maybe around 350 foot pounds and do some study there.

I don’t hear from Jim. I hope he is very well.

Best
Gary
January 05, 2019 11:23PM
Looking good Gary
I sure wish I was there hanging out with ya . It looks like a clean punch on the board too. That power is amazing forsure . I still haven't shot any big game with my Outrider 50 but I've put some good dents in my 1/4" aluminum trap. Some of the slugs just disappeared after passing thru the wood and target.

Thanks
Kurt
January 06, 2019 03:33PM
Hi Kurt,

Well, you’re always welcome. There’s a chair on the porch whenever your back gets tired of shoveling snow. Hah.

I have a few different rifles here I’ll have to get to the range. Anxious to get this Outrider firing too. It’s coming along well.

Gary
January 07, 2019 08:58PM
Ok I gotta ask
What is " Washington's Hatchet " ?

Thanks
Kurt
January 07, 2019 10:06PM
Ahhhh. My Mistake!!!! I thought that was an understood part of this Airgun’s History!!

I had made a gun called the “Chameleon”. A 32 that I made power adjust by putting the power plant for the Rear Hammer inside the Pistol Grip. The gun was gonna be pretty easy to swap barrels on. At the time I had my own 25 Caliber and, of course there are smaller.

As the original client waited patiently, our friendship grew. He often spoke of Deer huntng. He spoke of bird, rabbit, squirrel hunting. Around this time, I made a 46 Caliber muzzle loader. I loaned it to him for testing and hunting. His Son was rapidly growing and joined in hunting. And so I begin to wonder if I couldn’t UPSIZE the Chameleon.

E1C6811A-295E-47AB-9375-66E079A627A9.jpeg

The Chameleon’s design was sparked by me coming into ownership of a bit of THIS Commercial Aluminum Extrusion. It fascinated me. And pretty soon, I saw the Chameleon Mechanism. I planned the lower Fin as a base for my Lock and the Upper Bulk for the Base Barrel Mount. I made the Prototype. It worked well. And I thought perhaps I could scale it up for my friend and his Son. And that’s where Washington’s Hatchet began!!!!

As you know, “Provenance” is the KEY to an Artifact’s value. Let’s not all look it up at once - we’ll crash the Net! It’s the TRAIL of documents/pictures/witness statements which verify the authenticity of an Artifact. Now ... seems there was an Antique Dealer named Thomas, who wasn’t overly burdened by details. (I’ve come by a few of them in my early years. Haha). Well, one such Gentleman offered, in his Van; THE amazing find of George Washington’s Hatchet!!! Yes, the very one with which young George chopped down his Father’s Cherry Tree! Incredible yet True. And for an sum which would make Mother Washington Proud, YOU could own same. While discussing terms and haggling over the exact sum required, Antique Tom would work into his Recitation of Provenance, that it was amazing that the Artifact has survived with only the third change of handles. And when you think of the couple hundred years, that WAS a very low number. Even more astounded was that they had found a replacement head for it after the Revolutionary War. Yes Sir, no telling WHAT such a piece would actually bring at Auction.

Continued in Part 2
Gary
January 07, 2019 10:18PM
Part 2.

Well, as I began to upscale and mount a larger caliber barrel ... the Aluminum Extrusion just didn’t quite fit here. Once I made parts to fit this ... then THAT no longer seemed right.

Of course Id told my friend of my plan to increase the usefulness and enjoyment of the gun. At no extra cost to him, I just wanted someone to really enjoy, use, and report on one of my Airguns. I was sure they would. And so; I met each setback with a fresh sheet of paper. Not one thing was “good enough”. “It’ll work” never crossed my lips. I finally had to face that I simply needed to upscale the Extrusion Base. My only option was to start with Awful Big and Huge Billet, and bore/machine parts which would LOOK LIKE the pic I posted above ... but were adequate size. It took forever. I made and remade until it was complete.

Nothing of the Original remained. A true WASHINGTON’S HATCHET. Did I learn? Nope. I’ve done it over and over in my desire for folks to enjoy what they have purchased from me. I’m sure I’ll continue. It’s hardwired in. Thanks for reading my story.

Best
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021