Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Outrider 50 Barrel

Outrider 50 Barrel
January 05, 2019 09:03PM
CD19032A-8C85-41F5-8A84-DA74B9290403.jpeg

Here’s the Rough Pulled 50 Caliber Barrel for the Outrider I’m building.

I worked to get a small 35 year old Italian MIG Welder I bought new, back into service. I got it working last night. Got my barrel blank finished and in place today. I now have it pulled. I’ll be getting this nice Outrider 50 Rifle complete for sale.

Next the barrel is later straightened, reamed, honed, then machining begins.

1). Straighten
2). Ream
3). Hone
4). Lathe Turn
5). Crown
6). Thread Breech
7). Chamber
8). Mill
9). Deburr and hone chamber end
10). Sand
11). Polish
12). Blue
13). Proof/Examine

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 09:12PM by barnespneumatic.
January 05, 2019 11:31PM
Nice photo Gary
That not the easiest shot to get too ! Do you already have the exact length determined when you rifle your Barrels ? I've seen your custom device but never seen one rifled in person. Judging by your list there's a lot more to it than just forming some grooves and crowning the end . Does the blank get hot as you pull it ? I ask because I wonder how it would need straightening. There sure is a lot to being a 100% airgun smith !
Thanks for sharing

Thanks
Kurt
January 06, 2019 07:10PM
Hi Kurt,

Thks for asking!

“Button Rifling” is done cold. The barrel only very mildly warms while pulling.

The “Button” is a specially heat treated slug with the groove pattern cut at the twist rate of the rifling. The button is attached to a rod and push/pulled thru the barrel tube. In simplist terms, the button “Displaces” the original condition of the tube interior into one with grooves in it. It takes tremendous pressure to make the transformation. The barrelblank must be “Retained” while the button process takes place. The button is rotating in the pattern of the rifling twist.

In AirGuns, we don’t have to retain exploding powder AND we have many additional components such as reservoir and valves. We trade off and use a thinner barrel stock then on firearms. It’s just good engineering to build to the need. And so; the tremendous pressure of swagging steel and the twisting action moves the barrel stick. It must be lathe straightened (corrected so that it spins true over its total length).

Don’t want to loose this. My cursor has disappeared...
January 06, 2019 07:12PM
Well that was nerve wracking. With no cursor I couldn’t even save that explanation. I figured I’d have to do that again. I’d been interrupted and my connection timed out I guess.
January 06, 2019 01:25AM
Gary,

Seeing that pulled barrel brings back a few memories. It has been years since I did anything related to making my own barrel and have never been able to allocate the time to perfect it to the point you have. Trust me, it has been on my mind for years... Dwelling on how to get back into it, Alas my current circumstances still do not allow the time or financial resources to proceed.

Looking forward to seeing how well the new Outrider rifle will perform. Be an interesting comparison with the smooth verses rifles barrel.

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021