Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another Range Session ....

Another Range Session ....
January 08, 2019 10:00PM
I’ll write it up during some upcoming breaks

Here’s part though ....

The Reproduction Larger 50 Smoothy Slug ... Full Cast ... 366.3grains. And I just ran one thru the Chronograph at 767 FPS.

28658C60-373E-487C-BC66-538BC80C2799.jpeg

4387B851-337A-4062-B82F-BCDE5116C35F.jpeg

Looking up the notes from my Pre-shipping Field Test on Memorial Day 2011 .... I ran the Original Copy Slug at 768 FPS.

Owhhhhhhhwwwwaaaah!!! Missed it by THHHHiiiisssssssss much!!!!!

After around 8 years or so away. Different owners. No service to my knowledge. And me making a Second Generation Slug and Testing based upon my notes .... It came in within ONE foot per second.

I’ll do better next time ... haha.

Hey ... that’s 479 foot pounds. That’s a bunch of raw power to just sit and “Plink”. I think Ill turn it down. Ha

Gary
Re: Another Range Session ....
January 08, 2019 11:24PM
Hey Gary
It's gotta be a little cooler too ( time & location ) than the last time you touched her off . That would certainly make a slight difference. Maybe a good 20 degrees! You'll get that missing foot back in a couple of months .

Thanks
Kurt
January 09, 2019 04:19PM
One Point:

The 265 grain flies at 844 FPS. Think how heavy a 366 grain Airgun Slug is. Even a 265 Grain Airgun Slug is very heavy. Do you recall when the Crossman Premier 10.5 grain was called a “Heavy”?

There’s a lot of room under 265 grains if I just needed to make a “Faster” slug. I realize there is a very large segment of people who just can’t be pleased with anything that isn’t faster and faster and faster. But Energy is derived from MASS at Velocity. This was set up as a Hunting Airgun. People have expressed that they want velocity so they don’t have to figure in a slug drop. But, hunters seem to find a way to use “Screaming Fast” 400 FPS Crossbow hunting Bolts/Arrows. This Airgun would only ever hunt from a tree stand or blind. Shots taken from 10-50 yards.

These are the true facts. Not necessarily the headline grabbing facts. I could easily make it faster. The power plant is there. But I really can’t get much better.

Smile
Gary
January 11, 2019 12:35AM
This really reminds me of horsepower and torque. Everyone wants horsepower but really the torque is what produces the power, or speed for that matter.
If you ever watch some the hyper/super car documentaries, its interesting to note that just cause a car has 800 hp, the car that has 400 hp has a faster top speed. Maybe not every case, but I have caught it a few times.

Thanks for sharing Gary.

Pedro G.
January 11, 2019 04:08PM
But if you want to shoot targets way out there you will need the speed tough... at 700 fps you need to adjust the scope rail at 120 yards milledots and scope clicks won’t make it then especialy at 25x magnification....

Grtz from Belgium, Brian
January 11, 2019 04:46PM
I agree with you Brian. The purpose matches the rifle. The same way you don’t want a dedicated long range target rifle with a 25X scope up a tree, to hunt Deer which will most likely walk under your tree.

I was making note of how it’s hard to get comment and discussion unless you post the magic words. Some things stick in people’s minds and then they expect to hear them anywhere. My own Mom (God rest her soul) until her last day, managed to work into any conversation regarding my knives; that they “Never Need Sharpening.” You weren’t going to change her mind ... any knife worth it’s salt, should “never need sharpening”. The Carnival Barkers on the Board Walk at Ocean City, Maryland; burned that into her mind as she watched them demonstrate and sell their “Ginsu Steak Knives”. Ha!

That’s partially why I always remind people that “Heavy Foot Pounds” are arrived from “Mass at Velocity”. Punching holes in a target or knocking light ones over, are quite different from crumbling a game animal. That’s also why I like to show myself knocking heavy steel targets for a loop at 100 yards or more. Like my heavy steel full size Fox I used in my Contrail Movie.

It’s a good discussion Brian. Thanks for your input! I’ll see what lighter slug I have that I can record velocity on.

Best
Gary
January 11, 2019 07:08PM
Splendid Gary, there is indeed a difference between hunting and long range target shooting, hunting hollow point heavy slug lower speed good mushrooming large hole, target shooting fast light slug garry raptor ( didn’t test the bishop yet) maxiball fast maximum spin small hole,the nitro express = long range cause Gary made a scope rail with 20 moa build in, so at close range way too high, you need adjustable scope mounts to even compensate at 50 yards, by the way great gun Garry I enjoy it very much!

Kind regards Brian
8D2EF120-629E-441F-AA3A-4370A7896F78.jpeg
January 11, 2019 07:45PM
Hi Brian,

Some of the guns were also build with “up angle” to the front barrel mounts too.

Try the Bishop. It was exceptionally accurate from that gun. And ... don’t show it (no point to help the competition - right) but also ... it’s a Boat tail Waddcutter. Most people want to shoot it backwards.

Gary
January 11, 2019 08:03PM
Thanks Gary, for the advice will try that.., when it stops raining, been waiting for a couple of days now to go and shoot at my friends tree farm, you can shoot 2 miles there if you wanted to...

Greetings from rainy Belgium, Brian
January 11, 2019 09:41PM
Hi Brian,

For shooting two miles, I recommend the Barnes Cruise Missile Slug. They are a bit pricey, but they get the job done. And ... just one is a whole “group”. Haha.

Gary
January 12, 2019 01:45PM
Hello Brian
Your correct in them long range shots . There's nothing quite like hitting your mark that far out .
The finish on your gun looks great in the picture too . It matches the background too that appears to be marble ! Weird huh ? I was wondering.... do you always shoot with your muffler on and does it make a difference without it ? I know there kinda frowned on here in the US due to being able to adapt to powder burners .

PS: Sorry bout the rain but at least you don't have to shovel rain !!Snowman

Thanks
Kurt
January 12, 2019 02:53PM
Hi Kurt,

Hey, you are right about the finish on Brian’s Nitro. Looks great to my eye too. I know that rifle has been shot an enormous number of times. The first owner shot it constantly including a lot of very long range stuff.

Get this story: Original owner told me that in order to get 200 yards ... he arranged at his shoot Club, to set up in the PARKING LOT. He then opened the barn doors on the FRONT and BACK of the shooting Barn. This allowed shots THRU the barn and onto the normal 100 yd range. I must assume this was an “Off Hours” exercise. Otherwise, I can hear the announcement over the loudspeakers.... ATTENTION: Those of you over 6’3” in height, please REMAIN SEATED for the following session ....

Ok - back to the finish - that’s my Gulf Coast finish. Never dreamed I’d move 30 miles from the Gulf Coast. I need that finish on everything here. It’s a harsh atmosphere.

I want to hear Brian’s experience regarding his Moderator too.

Best,
Gary
January 17, 2019 07:10PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, been super busy (work...), i always shoot with the moderator.., did test it at my friends range without the moderator but that was when i just got the gun, with the old dented valve and broken down o rings on the lever witch puts the bullet in the chamber ( don’t know the English word for it) so don’t really know, i’ve got other airguns with moderators and my experience is that you get more power without... so the nitro won’t be different i guess, sorry Gary for the other gunsmith but to send you the riffle would be such a hustle and it would take ages to get it back ( shipping). The moderator gave me a lot of problems because of the power, the nitro blasted all the plastic parts to pieces so had to change to aluminium (picture). Began casting for the first time, bought all the equipment lee pro pot, bullet mould handle, lead, antimoon, tin and i’m now in the world of Brinell hardness, even more parameters to play with... I wanted to use Gary’s mould for the bishop bullet, seeing Gary make bullets, inspired me, by the way, look at the handle, sometimes details matter...

Greetings from still rainy Belgium
5513FFF0-2C8C-40F5-A794-E4AF6C7D3C6D.jpeg
35C42C1A-2232-4EF5-AA07-BCEDE2DBF6FF.jpeg
January 17, 2019 08:00PM
But one more thing, after 18 years of shooting ( i also shoot it a lot) it is still in mint condition... shoots with insane power and accuracy, a piece of craftsmanship...
B8FB9AFA-8B07-44F1-962F-6E786ED6BAF0.jpeg
January 17, 2019 09:53PM
Hi Brian,

If you want to, stretch O rings on the Silver Cocking Knob. I’m not sure if that’s mine or a replacement but I see grooves. O rings will help prevent your hand from slipping during cocking. Sometimes I’ve made the knobs with grooves so the outside grooves are recessed more (as a definite stop) and then O rings are also stacked shoulder to shoulder all the way across. If you give me the diameter I can tell you which rings to use.

Regarding mold handles. If I don’t make them (with a forward bearing) then I use the ones which are a cast metal 5/16” thick. They remain more parallel. I surface grind the tops that mate with the mold blocks when the machine screws are tightened. I don’t ever use the stamped handles. They are never flat and parallel. I don’t make the blocks to be used in the loose floppy slap around casting method. That wears out the alignment holes very early. If the handles are tight and fitted, the molds will last forever.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021