Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hammer/Cocking Stud with Hand Engraved Logo artist

Hammer/Cocking Stud with Hand Engraved Logo artist
January 25, 2019 07:12PM
0AD4615C-E7EC-4864-877D-1C8304EAEF75.jpeg

Assembling for Testing the Action. This Hand Engraved Logo will show in the Cocking Window.

82DA1F66-15E8-4157-984D-172158151C50.jpeg

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 07:16PM by barnespneumatic.
January 26, 2019 08:07PM
Beautiful work Gary
I can only imagine how hard it is to engrave on a small round cylinder of hardened steel ! You make it look easy !

Thanks
Kurt
January 26, 2019 08:46PM
Gary,

That is some neat engraving and will look sharp through the cocking window. I had to reread your post as at first I thought you did the engraving with an air grinder but understand you used an engraver.

Very nice!

Pedro
January 26, 2019 09:37PM
Thank you Guys,

That work is done with a carbide chisel. It’s driven by an air hammer. And that helps. So long as you have sharpened the combination of angles on the pointy end of the carbide stick, to match the material and the cuts you hope to make. So long as you set the pulse of the hammer correct and have the psi correct and the foot control tuned. If you enter the steel at a correct angle, immediately transition into a forward linear angle, monitor the chip being cut, the depth plane, the rotation for curve, and don’t twist the tool as you flow around the sweeps .... up the circumference, over the top, and down and around the other side. (If you twist carbide, it will snap like a pretzel. A really really really hard pretzel). Oh, you also have to have a Magic Sharpie to draw the pattern on in a pleasing, flowing manner.

Wait ... come to think of it ... that darned Air Hammer doesn’t make it easy at all!!! Ha

I’m glad ya liked it. I’m going to also apply a COINED Barnes Logo onto this one.

Best
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 12:30AM by barnespneumatic.
January 27, 2019 05:06PM
Since you explained the process to accomplish the engraving it makes it all that more an impressive feat! Not for the common man with a rotary engraver!!
Looks Awesome Gary.

Bob
January 27, 2019 09:26PM
Ahhh, thanks Bob.

It’s great to hear from you, and thks for commenting.

Yes, it is a commitment to cut that deep with a chisel. You don’t just rub it out if you mess up.

I hope you enjoy stopping by often.

Gary
February 01, 2019 10:56PM
Gary,

Since I made my own engraver a long while back I had read up on angles for engraving. Bit needs all the right angles to cut well. So seeing what your produce just shows how you nailed it!

Pedro
February 02, 2019 02:01PM
Thank you Pedro,

I remember your Air Hammer. I’d love to see a sketch of the principles and dimensions you used. To control the strikes per minute, I’ve imagined mine uses an interruptor wheel perforated with holes. But I’ve not been in there to see how they sealed it without too much drag on the wheel. It adjusts effortlessly so it’s not mechanical. I guess they could be using a small high torque electric motor but I don’t hear it digging in. It seems very free wheeling with a sort of “run run run” pulse pattern that matches the ppm setting.

Great tool. I bought it in Kansas City at a show in about 85.

Gary

Gary
February 02, 2019 03:55PM
I will try to find the drawings, no luck so far. If not sketch some drawings and send them over to you.

Pedro
February 02, 2019 04:53PM
Great!

Did you have a stroke per minute feature other than input psi?
February 02, 2019 11:13PM
Only the incoming PSI controlled the hits. Not familiar enough with these devices to know how to do it otherwise. I guess changing the air chamber for the stroke would change it as well?
February 09, 2019 11:07AM
I love the engraving!
I also like the font you used. But I'm afraid our future generations may not be able to read it, since they don't teach them handwriting any more....

Scott
February 09, 2019 01:36PM
Hi Scott,

Perhaps a scholar of ancient writings ... Klingon, Rune, Gary. There’s hope.

I’m glad you like it Scott,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021