Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Now that's WINTER

Now that's WINTER
January 31, 2019 08:53PM
So as most know we've been getting blasted here in Michigan and elsewhere by the polar express . This morning on the way to work the temp was -17 deg F with a wind chill of -40 !
Along with that during the whole week came a couple of feet of snow . I felt lucky because all our vehicles started and our heat worked . It's been a long time since I've experienced that kinda cold . Hope you all fared the same as we did cause I know the clipper dipped pretty far south too.

Ps: on my phone this morning was an alert from the Consumer energy company asking us to turn our furnace down to 65 deg as a precautionary measure! My house was already about 62 deg due to my poor old boiler furnace trying to keep up ! Haha .

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_2627.JPG
February 01, 2019 02:22AM
Oh my Kurt, I almost feel for you.

Up here in Manitoba we had -50 Celsius (-58 F) wind chill and temperature was at -40 C, (-40F). A couple of years ago was even colder for a week.

I know we build houses differently up here than most areas its due to the cold.

Long as everyone is safe, that's what is important.

Pedro
February 01, 2019 03:03PM
Hi Kurt,

Hey ... I wanna know how you get a truck to idle at 495 RPMs. That’s crazy.

I’m really glad your equipment worked for you. That’s usually when you end up with your feet sticking out from under a Truck, or you look like a Chimney Sweep working on the furnace while the family huddles around the fireplace. I just got a couple of memory flashes. Kelly trying to keep the kids happy Christmas morning while I was dealing with water spraying thru the kitchen ceiling from frozen pipes. Even being on the shoulder of I-95S, in a Sleet Storm, when a trailer hitch unhooked in the center lane. And my Walmart mongo flashlight failed ... so I’m fixing it at midnight, sleet storm, interstate shoulder, by the light on my cell phone.

Kurt, I’m so glad you got thru that miserable freeze, and you too Pedro! That’s harsh guys. Brutal.

Be well
Gary
February 02, 2019 01:06PM
Thanks guys
Pedro I only know a few people in Canada and always think when we get Cold nasty temps it all came from up north first and they survive/ thrive !
I've always loved the snow and never minded the winter months but I do remember maybe 20 years ago putting up a 6 story open air building. We were finishing up handrails so all the other trades could get in there and the wind chills were -60 F . The welding inspector was making us cover each area as we welded.

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021