Serious Survey - Observation. typing
July 15, 2019 03:01PM
Please take a read thru ...

[www.airgunrendezvous.com]

Spend maybe ten minutes please.

Then tell me. Tell us. What do you notice that is shockingly different from today’s pages.

The Gallery is FULL of pictures of outstanding guns and knives. There are endless comments and discussions on the pieces.

There are a vast variety of comments from readers enjoying the posts. There is an infinite variety of work shown.

All of the work was sold here. It was all shown in detail here. So many names of people reading and enjoying. Many of these were not ledger holders. Maybe most were not. There were long two way discussions.

Beautiful work on display being enjoyed by readers. Personally, I found it quite different. Please tell me why. I’m serious.

When I look at today, I see a long list of great work. Much of it offered for sale. Hardly any comments. If there are some, it’s from a small group of readers. Why? I can’t be forty people and without them bothering to enjoy my work that they’ve come here to see ... them it just turns the “Forum” into a “List”.

I loved looking thru those posts. It’s made me want to make more stuff. But I am making stuff. And it needs encouragement to reproduce. I’m not preaching. I’m trying to “forum” over here.

Please share what you see as the big difference in “feeling” when you scan the pages

Thanks
Gary
Re: Serious Survey - Observation. typing
July 16, 2019 11:01PM
Gary,

Quite frankly I don't understand the interest level myself, even the venerable "Yellow" is a shell of its former self with rarely a post that gets more than a half dozen comments.

Interest cycle at the bottom of the trough?

I feel like the days when guys were shooting FT targets and we had an honest to goodness "woods walk" that open with a full size buffalo on an open plain at 75 yards and the post would get crickets. Air gunners are an odd, fickle lot I suppose.

Lon
July 17, 2019 03:38AM
Bigbore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary,
>
> Quite frankly I don't understand the interest
> level myself
>
> Interest cycle at the bottom of the trough?
>
> Lon

Hi Lon,

I have another explanation for it .....

Short version: “Ya get out what you put in.” It takes more then one guy at a time putting in. We’ve had dozens over the last ten years, that were the “designated guy” at any given period. Until they got sick of preparing stuff for everyone else to enjoy reading. They finally just quit, and left. Their names are all through the Gallery section that I asked readers to scan. Fresh fun is always supposed to just “be here”. It’s MAGIC!!!

The magic is in the numbers. Out of every 250 or so, you get one guy that will prepare a few nice posts. But they wear out quickly with little appreciation or feedback. All of the sudden ... surprise.... no new posts!!! Whaaaatttt?????

Valid theory? Observation?
July 17, 2019 02:36PM
Gary,

I follow a lot of content on forums and YouTube. My observation is that most content creators create content because it is THEIR passion and will do it regardless of response. Some have turned their social media presence into a successful business, others use it to augment a business and some do it just for pleasure. The best example of a REALLY talented guy who makes GREAT content and doesn't care to monetize is Oxtool on YouTube.

I put you in the category of "augment" but it is entertaining to me so I hang around. I came for the power and stayed for the aesthetics, variety and group comradery.

Gary, I have to ad honestly that this forum gets only a sliver of my attention. As expected, life, family, job, health and other interests get their share in that order.

Pipe smoker

Lon

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 02:42PM by Bigbore.
July 17, 2019 05:31PM
Thanks Lon,

I can see you thought about your comments. 5 edits refine thoughts. I appreciate it.

May I please address one TOP DRAWER issue first please. You list your order of priorities regarding our forum here. If you cross check ten years and over 13k posts of mine here, you will not find me asking people to show up here more often. No suggestion that people come here rather than another place. No pledge of loyalty requested. My point has “always” been .... “Since you are here, why not say hi” , and create that “Comradery” you mention. Without conversation, there is no comradery.

You mention how many people create their content “just because”, and do so regardless of feedback. I’ve created the content online since 96. Before that, on paper. But common now Lon. Tell me you are gonna chronicle your modification of a 10-22 Trigger block. With a couple of custom parts you made. Use 5 or 8 pics. Explain your reasoning. Tell the results. Post it all to a likeminded online group. And .... you really don’t care if anybody acknowledges it or not. Then do the same for ten years. And don’t expect feedback or anyone saying hello.

Most are saying ... “Then the writer would just quit trying ... long ago.” I first responded to Lon (when he mentioned interest is down elsewhere too and maybe it’s just a cycle) - I responded “Maybe you just get out what you put in.” If you increasingly neglect a thing over ten years, it isn’t going to thrive. I have never wanted this thing to just be a Barnes Catslog. It was developed for the Airgun group of friends.

So, there ya go. Smile
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021