Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anybody Collect “Autos?”

Anybody Collect “Autos?”
August 28, 2019 02:42AM
I don’t mean cars. Ha.

I’ve always loved “mechanisms”. I’ve designed so many. I really like the 97 Auto that Gary L. posted.

Does anyone else collect them?

Kurt showed me a pic of the traditional BUCK RANGER in a button Auto. I was surprised. What are the current rules for shipping and carry?

What kind do you like. I love the Coil Spring design for its smooth operation. It’s constant pull. The fact you can open it in any position. And it doesn’t have the jarring shock that many like but I always felt was just rough.

Let’s talk.

I could cover you up with pics of different types I’ve made.

Gary
Re: Anybody Collect “Autos?”
August 28, 2019 01:17PM
Gary
I’ve read that just recently 2017 we changed laws in Michigan . Auto knives are now legal if the blade come from the side but OTF ( out the front ) knives are Illegal! Also any double edge daggers, stiletto types are also illegal! Huh

So the buck knife I found years ago was bought because of the engraving. I can’t find anywhere where they sold them like it . Even the button is different than any I’ve researched. It’s 1/2 on bolster 1/2 on scale . All the other ones I’ve seen are in a more top of the scale position and appear to slide not push . The button is very comfortable but once the blade is deployed you’ve got to push the lock release on the back like a regular lock blade . The button does nothing. The mk on the blade calls it a 112 n

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2019 01:28PM by kurt wag.
ECF1C8C5-D506-46BE-BCEA-C58C9492C629.png
August 28, 2019 03:02PM
From the late 80’s to early 90’s

8A479A09-388A-4AFB-A774-866F645B080E.jpeg

All Autos. Some Double Acting - meaning you could TURN THE AUTO FUNCTION OFF

Gary
August 28, 2019 03:11PM
Autos

From the 80’s
D86C517C-641E-49A9-93FB-D9EC3CC0425F.jpeg
E5595580-E8D8-4B5B-B314-B0E95F1A00AB.jpeg
August 28, 2019 03:19PM
Notice the Titanium One. Note the clunky screws securing the titanium domes. Someone drilled out my “Snoop Rivets” so they could SNOOP inside to copy ... document ... then put it back together with those barn door screws. While inside they also decided to try to make it more of a “break your arm” action when it opened. And they screwed it up badly. A new owner sent the mess to me to fix. I had it a year or two. Rebuilt it to original specs. Sent it back.

For my “reputation” as some see it ... there sure is a lot of interest in what’s inside my designs and why they perform so well ... huh ..... ha

Gary
August 28, 2019 03:40PM
Wow
Gary those are awesome array your work. You know it’s always been about the mechanics and how things work for me too . I can’t blame the guy for wanting to know but drilling out rivets... there’s some nefarious work going on .
I really like the wolf barking at the moon knife BUT what the heck is going on with the blade at the bottom of same picture?( by the marijuana leaves) haha
It looks like you painted a design on it where your logo goes .
Waaaaay cool stuff!

Thanks
Kurt
August 28, 2019 04:38PM
Hi Kurt,

Glad you liked them.

You are looking at the back of a blade 99.999% of time the Logo goes on the other side. Just a design.

I liked the Southwest one too. Probably the first one. Around 89-92

Gary
September 07, 2019 07:07PM
Anybody else?

Just blink an eye if you can hear me. self-hammer

I’m working on a real nice Auto. I can’t guess what you might like to see or hear. I send out some private stuff. I stay busy to the degree I’m able. Work where I’m able to gather the month’s needs. This is an impossible situation. I know there are good friends out there, wishing me well. They stop from time to time and would enjoy seeing what I’m doing. But they are too busy to leave a note. Then I know there are folks out there, who hope I’m sweating in a swamp shack. Sitting on a crate in front of a one bladed GE fan from the 30’s; while sadly clicking “Refresh, Refresh, Refresh” via a dial up modem. Those readers don’t comment either. Result is; “silence is silence”. I can’t distinguish between the two. So; I don’t know if it’s worth the time to share the step by step progress of my work.

For my friends, it’s been a painful several months. But others need your prayers worse. And we have been blessed with what we have needed. To the dollar, and just when needed. And at the end of a painful day, there’s sleep. It’s not the lifestyle I envisioned when I decided if I should continue college in 1974, or use my given artistic skills to become immersed in the ”Handmade Craft Festival Craze” that was raging then. Yeah, the Swamp Shack was definitely on my wish list. Haha, but I thought after 45 years, I could afford a nice wireless modem. Wink. typing

Thanks Friends
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 12:16PM by barnespneumatic.
September 08, 2019 12:25PM
Parts of a nice Spring Actuated Folder that I started long ago.

556C04FE-18F9-4805-BA41-BBFBCC040F48.jpeg

Etching the blade. One that was welded up in the early 80’s. I suspect even before I earned my Master Bladesmith’s Ranking in October of 1983.

79C7AFA7-E9F9-44C1-9AC4-1E6C95C535EE.jpeg

Laying out the relief carving of the 4 bolster areas.

The Mammoth Tusk Scales are fitted already. The mechanisms are complete.

Thks
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 12:27PM by barnespneumatic.
September 08, 2019 09:26PM
Hey Gary
That’s a pretty cool looking blade . So you just dip it in that glass of apple juice next to it and pu POW ! Great design on the Damascus. I can’t wait to see how this one turns out . hot smiley

Thanks
Kurt
September 10, 2019 02:26PM
Thanks Kurt,

I’ve been setting up the components for another process I used to use to great advantage. Haven’t had it here since the move. Not a heavy duty process. For those interested, I get back injections soon. I’ve really needed them. I’m about a year behind on them and it’s been a serious set back. So we are excited I’ll be getting relief form that particular part of my chronic pain mosaic.

Can’t wait to use the setup.

Wish me luck please

Gary
September 10, 2019 01:43PM
Ummmm
Well if I had ONE more it would be a collection! excited
Hope you are well .

Thanks
Kurt
September 10, 2019 02:07PM
Awllll.

Yeah. Now it’s just a “shoebox”.

Ha
September 15, 2019 04:42PM
Hey
I was wondering if you’ve made any progress on the new auto?
I realize you’ve been busy and y’all been getting crazy heat and weather and injections. I’m keeping my eye on this one . I love the blade material design . chainsaw

PS: Howdy to Miss Kelly also hope your staying in the shade . On the weather map up here it’s calling for 100 deg there Tuesday!!

Thanks
Kurt
September 15, 2019 07:10PM
Thank you Kurt,

It’s Sunday about 2:10 Central. I’ll be back in about 1 1/2 ish hours. Thanks very much for commenting Bud.

Gary
September 15, 2019 08:14PM
Hi Kurt,

That knife would be functional now if assembled.

After a decision to get back into Autos, I had to go thru my notes. Go thru and collect my tools and jigs. I made so many types and mechanisms of autos (earliest 77 or 78), I wanted to be sure what I wanted to stick with. I still have various designs on paper that Ive never actually made a copy of yet.

I wanted to combine this with Anodizing again. Both for the knives and Rifles. I found myself knee deep in refreshing all of that. And, I have to mention it just because it’s a huge part ...... I’ve felt worse over the last few months then I have felt in years. So I was slower.

I managed to get an appointment for back injections. Got the car repaired for the trip. Finally got all that behind. The injections have been a huge help already. I’ve set up and processed some anodizing preliminary operations.

I had some Jewelry stuff to process. Everything at once.

I want to anodize this Auto you asked about. I had thought I’d carve it. But have reconsidered. I didn’t dare just toss myself in with anodizing that finished knife frame after about 9 years away from anodizing. So....

That brings us to date.

Thanks for asking. I’ve relearned more in the last month then I’ve forgotten. So I’m net plus right now. Yayyyy

Best
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 08:20PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021