Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: wow VIDEO .... The “SLIM REAPER” ... A LEGAL (side opening Auto Folder). bullhorn grinning smiley

wow VIDEO .... The “SLIM REAPER” ... A LEGAL (side opening Auto Folder). bullhorn grinning smiley
September 21, 2019 11:25PM
FB98797F-771D-4331-8978-ABAFC34133BD.jpeg

03CD378C-1BCA-423C-979E-BC49F0A72FBC.jpeg

9DA7A7AF-3DB0-45EE-B5BA-4AC660C88D8C.jpeg

[youtu.be]

Please Enjoy The Above VIDEO!

Gary

OPTIONS ON THIS MODEL 97:

AUTO OPEN

Interframe Design

Glass Beaded Case

WOOLY MAMMOTH scales

ANODIZED, DYED, SEALED Case

DAMASCUS BLADE (From Gary’s Pre Master Bladesmith Certification period. 1981

FOR SALE at $995us. To ship USPS and Insure - $27

Please Drop Your Marker Here. Many Thanks.

Knife is 9” overall open. Blade is 3 7/8” to the bolster.

All the Best
Gary

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 06:41PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: wow VIDEO .... The “SLIM REAPER” ... (an legal side opening auto folder). bullhorn grinning smiley
September 25, 2019 06:25PM
Video to the top
Re: wow VIDEO .... The “SLIM REAPER” ... A LEGAL (side opening Auto Folder). bullhorn grinning smiley
September 27, 2019 11:17AM
Gary
I love everything about that MD97A ! The light tan wooly mammoth and dark brown anodized frame really blend together. The blade of course is pretty sweet too . Do you think it was HAND hammered Damascus on an old hay budden anvil with a 4# beater ?
I wish I could swing a hammer like back in the 80’s !
Also I wonder is there a reason you put the spine of the blade away from frog scales!

Thanks
Kurt
September 27, 2019 12:54PM
Hi Kurt,

I liked the colors too. The pics are good, but can’t communicate the feel of that glass Beaded and Anodized surface. That’s a really nice tactile feel.

Yes. Hay-Budden and a four pound cross pean hammer. Ahhh, I can smell the coal fire. I burnt up a couple fire pots with that hammer. Still have it. It’s ready to forge when the weather gets frosty.

I didn’t understand your last question. Sorry. Probably spell check.

Thanks for commenting!
Gary
September 27, 2019 01:20PM
Haha I love your forge cover plate door too ! Feed the beast .
When you look at the blade design it’s obvious that there are a series’s of large circles (probably wire rope cross section) closest to the sharp edge of the blade and none by the spine . Is there a reason when making the blade from the Damascus, you chose to sharpen the side closest to the circle pattern? Is it harder or softer at the spline or the edge ?
In other words... when you carved your logo B on the blade would/ could you notice the difference in hardness from the top of the B to the bottom of the B ?
Ps: I’m not talking about the differential heat treatment just the orientation of the chemistry the the blade blank .
Pss: i know what I mean ! Haha

Thanks
Kurt
September 27, 2019 01:39PM
That was an early blade. It’s laminated plate steel. Not very many layers. Recall I said I was learning pattern development. This would result from grinding grooves (channels) in the billet. Alternating side to side. Then heating and forging the rippled billet flat. This then shows the edges of the layers that were ground thru.

I could either let the rough billet stick out of a tin can on a shelf, or (because if it’s place in my personal history), I decided to build it into a knife. You next come to the personal question; “once you forge your most beautiful, best cutting blade of your career... do you recall all previous blades?” If that sounds silly - that is the actual question. Is this THE one and only? No. But is it a “38/39 year old, Pre-Masters Ranking study blade?” Yes. I found it interesting enough to support a nice knife.

If I missed the mark on your questions, please let me know.

Very Best,
Gary
September 27, 2019 01:42PM
Found pics of myself forge welding. 1980-81

Pics of my first Auto. 1977-78

Thks
Gary
9E087F8F-FF09-47D5-96E9-998D45D9AD2F.jpeg
CFC36FCA-603A-4D03-A169-6A0CDFD361BA.jpeg
October 21, 2019 12:29AM
Gary,
I might know where that auto is.... winking smiley
It might be in my bedside table....
It might still look just like the picture, and I'm sure it's just as sharp!

Scott
October 21, 2019 12:41AM
I just dropped my marker.

Scott
October 21, 2019 01:39AM
Gary,

A fine blade. Turned out really well. Glad someone stepped up to purchase it.

Auto opening knives are illegal in Canada confused smiley

Nice colors and contrasts on that build.

Pedro
September 04, 2020 07:02PM
For Sale in the classified section.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021