Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: You May Not Know ... nowthatIthink. scholar

You May Not Know ... nowthatIthink. scholar
October 09, 2019 12:16AM
Interesting Facts! typing

I’ve found thru the years, that readers often think that Glass Beading, or Anodizing, or even brushed finishes .... are looked at as methods to produce a quick short cut finish. It depends upon the desired outcome.

B8CEC59A-183C-429C-A3E3-26EC9EF29194.jpeg

For fine work, it’s actually best to produce a fine polish ... even a mirror finish first. THEN , you can more on to producing the final result.

61E86F72-A3C0-4865-867C-C4C1BF200002.jpeg

You see, scratches are terrible things. Whatever comes afterwards, will just widen and copy the scratch.

291BA9FD-30A7-4AF8-B980-6F7C1AC46710.jpeg

Some finishes may be produced on a base of perhaps 600 grit. But for this Soft Glass Beaded surface which I’ll anodize and dye .... I went to a mirror polish first. Surprising isn’t it? That way the glass beads were not copying existing marks.

Hope you found this interesting

Best
Gary
October 09, 2019 11:07PM
Gary
I completely get all your points about the finish having to be top notch before you do the finishing! Hehe I know if you put 3 of your best knives on a table I’d probably focus on the one with artwork engraved as I’m sure most would . I’ve never seen anything splash anodized before so you did take it to a new level. So that brings me to this ...... I truly believe I could anodize a piece of aluminum myself. It might look lame it might turn out great BUT I’d figure it out eventually. Now carving a pine cone on a knife or oak leaves is never going to happen. I think it’s actually the artistic way that for me is un- obtainium ! I can only buy it and that is the WOW factor for me .

Ps: I’m sure I would have tried to buy the brown/ mammoth Damascus knife had you carved the design you started with if it was in my budget range !

Thanks
Kurt
October 10, 2019 02:17AM
Great Input. Thanks Kurt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021