Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This time of the Evening -

This time of the Evening -
November 02, 2019 12:45AM
Tonight “this time of the evening” is an hour earlier. I just had to quit.

But the thoughts of this “section” of my day are the same. Most of the time we eat dinner about 8:30 or thereabouts. Lately just a bit earlier when the pain combined with the creep darkness caused me to tap out.

These are general evening thoughts (while cleaning up before dinner and changing into house clothes ...) 1). I’ll grab a shower later. 2). I wish it was earlier ... I’d love to have uncommitted time to work on a knife, or a pistol, or ... in another life ... a medium weight crossbow ... But, that isn’t gonna happen. 3). I love that Autumn Color’s Anodized Aluminum 97A. I wonder why I just can’t get a regular flow of one of the dozens of medium grade knives. 4). Remember those folded Stainless Spring back Pocket Folders? With the various color Titanium side plates and the Clip on the back? Remember the same ... about 7” open ... with the straight edge and great swept down blade to a needle point? Clip on back! So nice. 5). What’s the deal with the Stabalized Spaltef Live Oak? Grown here. Beautiful patterns. Light/taffy/chocolate map tracks on Oak grain. I loved it. I bought a special vacuum pump. Special chemicals. Prototyped the process ... zzzzzzzz

6). What about the hard color anodizing? I studied my notes over the last 20 years. Set up a lab. Dug out all the materials, acids, dyes, heating elements, containers, thermometers. Proofed it. Beautiful. Thought 7). The 97A Auto opening. Full press restudy. Those are slick. Thought there might be more discussion. Everything sells. But Where’s the excitement? It’s just all really nice. Fine stuff. Will last forever. And the General excitement level requires a mirror breath test. Why? 8). Am I keeping Kelly’s meal waiting? I sure hope I don’t ... again ... as I did last night ... and the night .... nights before ....

9). I don’t think people realize how much of a bummer it is to devote the kind of effort, study, practice, development, attention span ... and then see (by way of the percentage of written comment), essentially a big yawn. It’s the interaction that gives an artist the desire to make his next good idea. He will “have” that next idea anyway, but will he be inspired to build it? He has to care, because his friends care.

10). I’m not sure the gentlemen who are waiting for things, realize I put a lot of extra into all my work. That’s so it’s satisfying - maybe even surprising to my customers when they use it. This next is just honest assessment - not judgement. But I have heard, for the last 45 years, that “this next piece” will be used and enjoyed and they’ll send pics and we'll develop new slugs and hear hunting stories and see field targets, etc. That’s what keeps the enjoyment in the brand. Can you imagine if just 10% had been able to give feedback for 45 years? The stories and pictures would be encyclopedic. 20 years ago I was breaking all the energy stories. Then I was posting 200 yard targets. Cloverleaf 100 yard targets by the bushel basket. I thought it would become a family thing. A Rendezvous. It’s hard for one guy to keep up an enthusiastic pace. I’m sure it’s crossed your mind several times: well, your health became a problem. You got behind. Well, let me address that. If I’d kept up to date - one right after another. Shipped off right on time. Right into this closet, and that case, and another cabinet. And there they stayed. Send more. And they arrived and were dusted and stored. Is the excitement level any better then? I mean, there are a min. of 1,439 knives and hundreds of guns out there. I made them. I sent them. You see, I’m constantly thinking thru what I haven’t yet gotten done. But what of the truckloads I have shipped? When it comes to maintaining interest, is it all on me? Every evening, I feel that “Yes”, it’s considered to be so. It seems as if the determination of the crowd is, that only “One Person” shall be responsible for the morale/excitement/interest of the group. That’s Gary. He should be well, excited, innovative, patient, professional, and just generally entertaining ... at all times, irregardless. The Collective (Individualists all) expect no less. And, I do try. But I hurt like heck and a bit of camaraderie would be so helpful.

10). “BE RIGHT THERE!” Gotta go. Ok. No pity. Just the top ten thoughts every night.

11). Tonight ... I want to know what “missed” with that nice Autumn Color 97A. I thought it was a 10X. Anybody?

Thanks for reading.

“COMING!!!”

12). Few days ago, at Lowe’s. Tool Department. I think Lowe’s sells CRAFTSMAN tools now. And, I read the card. Flipper Pocket Knife, ball bearing pivots ... $11. Yep, the state of world wide manufacturing is advanced. Everything is available. You have to CARE to help support Craftspeople, and to have unique heirloom quality items in your pocket. I have had both. But anymore, it’s hard to tell a Mercedes from an upper end Kia thru the pedals and steering wheel. You have to find somewhere in your soul that cares. Then it becomes “worth” what the manufacturer needs to produce it.

Thanks
Gary

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 03:57PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021