Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

target plane HAVE BEEN MAKING PISTOL PARTS!!!! singing

target plane HAVE BEEN MAKING PISTOL PARTS!!!! singing
April 08, 2020 01:37PM
IT’S TRUE!!!! Since finishing the last Mdl 97, I’ve been full time making parts. bad dude

CE7BE258-BD3C-4CBF-BABD-5E7FE3C8BEC9.jpeg

AND .... drum roll please .... I’m making TWO. And I’m making them IN STAINLESS!!!!!

F56AF63D-D76F-4086-849C-C1ADC6CBBD05.jpeg

The plan is to go with 25 Caliber AND TO MODERATE THEM!!!!

1B1077CB-821A-410E-A244-802D9E25D0FC.jpeg

This will be something we can follow along with.

I’ve been up to my eyelashes in my own notes and diagrams. These are complex and precise machines to build. It’s been interesting to come up to speed and locate the exact cutters (Many of which I have made for specific purposes).

I hope you enjoy the journey.

Best
Gary
Re: target plane HAVE BEEN MAKING PISTOL PARTS!!!! singing
April 08, 2020 03:06PM
Models?

Lon
April 08, 2020 04:33PM
Closest to the Victory. Changes as needed by materials on hand. To clarify ... a design change need not be a compromise.

Made with all new parts. Meaning, I’m not raiding parts sets.

Gary
April 09, 2020 09:27AM
Very cool Gary
I’ll bet your glad to be using other parts of your brain too . Two at a time you say ? Huh that’s mass production in your world.
I’d recognize the curl of swarf there on the drill bit anywhere. Scary stuff drilling that deep into stainless steel. Those little buggers are hard to get off too . Very tuff and sharp.
Those are the kind that rip thru a good pair of leather gloves chainsaw.
I’m excited to follow along

Thanks
Kurt
April 09, 2020 03:17PM
Hi Kurt,

You bet. Swarf will get you. And stainless swarf is worse then a mother grizzly. The ribbon won’t “break”, so it just makes miles of razor wire.

One reason, many times the valve body itself is not stainless. There’s nothing gained for the aggravation and even the danger. You’re not going to make every screw, spring, barrel, from stainless. It sounds all super duper, but it’s just a pain and completely unnecessary. I’ve seen and disassembled 150 yr old guns where the internal parts were left raw and look like they are maybe 10 years old.

As you work up from a spot drill to pilot drill, thru different graduated sizes ... there is a lot of work to drill an accurate hole. And a deep drilled hole is far more work. You’ll get a mile of swarf from a single hole. This pic shows probably the last twenty thousandths of diameter before going to a reamer.

Gary
April 10, 2020 01:47AM
Awesome Gary, glad you can get back to airguns!

Looking forward to following the progress. Need something to do while "self isolating". smiling smiley

God bless,

Pedro
April 10, 2020 02:41PM
Hi Pedro

Glad to have you in the shop.

It took me a while to recall processes. Funny story. On my older lathe (which I prefer for threading), I stood looking at it. Series of levers. Now do I????? Then I trusted muscle memory. I moved the first labeled lever, and my hands automatically moved to the back gear lever and Spindle Hub Lock Pin. Hah. “Trust The Force Luke!!!”

Hope you guys are well.

Gary
April 10, 2020 04:25PM
Hi Gary,

Sorry I should visit the site more often. I have had many things on the go lately and at the same time seems all my focus or enjoyment in many areas has left me. Probably due to the abnormal circumstances lately with the Covid-19 pandemic.

It is interesting how muscle memory works. I haven't been on a mill or lathe in a long while, but when I do, its almost natural. Just like martial arts i guess, they build muscle memory to make things almost automatic.

Use the force!

Wife and I are well. Doing the physical distancing, groceries roughly once a week etc.

Good bless,

Pedro
April 15, 2020 08:10PM
Gary has been “self isolating“ for a long time, he’s well ahead of the curve on this one.
April 16, 2020 12:33AM
Hold the phone!
Round things on a lathe always warm the heart. Following with great interest.
Be well,
Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 12:33AM by Scott Meyers.
April 17, 2020 02:28PM
Hello Scott,

Thank you for following.

I’m making parts as I can. Seeing what I have that is not part of anyone’s project.

I think Im at a point where things might go a bit faster now. Please check in regularly.

Many Thabks
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021