Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Still Machining SS Pistol Parts Weights

Still Machining SS Pistol Parts Weights
April 14, 2020 03:24PM
2E1386C6-E8F3-4156-8C46-A929F571EEB7.jpeg

They are pretty when they are finished.

39264E09-1F16-45D8-A318-A88024F0F9F2.jpeg

But who knows what this is? Boy, I am sooooo glad to be able to photograph it. Who knows why?

Best
Gary
April 14, 2020 07:00PM
Seamless SS Tube threaded!

6F4BE55A-3BD7-4D3A-A9CC-A50FC6D10F3B.jpeg

Intake trial fitted.

Gary
April 15, 2020 07:12PM
Gary,

Nicely coming along! A pain to machine but wait till that will be finished, polished?

Pedro
April 14, 2020 08:32PM
I know what that is. How the heck did you get it out so intact? I have lost entire afternoons over them.

I always get mad at myself and figure I must have been in too much a hurry. Even the "Master" has those days.
April 15, 2020 07:12PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> They are pretty when they are finished.
>
>
>
> But who knows what this is? Boy, I am sooooo glad
> to be able to photograph it. Who knows why?
>
> Best
> Gary

I suspect that is a broken tap?
April 15, 2020 07:41PM
My guess too, broken tap.

The “snap” noise when one breaks off is one of the worst sounds in the working world, sounds JUST like hours of extra work, if not days.
April 16, 2020 10:57AM
Gary
That stuff is looking nice . Well except for the broken part . I’m not sure what that is . It doesn’t look like a tap with the pointy tip . Kinda looks like a cement drill head . Probably something custom you made .

I can’t believe Rotor isn’t jumping on that SS . It would be a nice match to his Barnes Alaskan long airgun !

Thanks
Kurt
April 16, 2020 01:36PM
Sorry Guys, I didn’t follow up.

Yes ... if you said “Broken Tap”, you win a trip to ... “your fridge”. Make yourself a Sammich!

I was done the hideous job or “tapping” a blind hole in Stainless Steel. I was winding the tap back out, feeling for resistance. Being done with the job, I must have allowed myself a nanosecond of stress relief, when the tap stuck and “CLICK”. And thus began a review of my life. Getting a broken tap out, is akin to (pick your example of ...) superhuman skill and dumb luck.

The hideous part is that Stainless wants to grab and fuse with Tool bits of any kind. The smallest bit of friction produces an excuse for the metal to grab and bond to the Tool bit, with a death grip. Thus; with taps (which are inherently brittle), it’s a highly stressful situation. Drill/Tap charts (made by tap manufacturers ... hummmm), are designed to assure tap breakage in anything but mild American Cheese. In Stainless, the tap swages and “displaces” metal, as much as it cuts and removes chips. So you must know your material (mild stainless, harder mild stainless, stainless annealed Tool Steel), and adjust accordingly.

I’ll be back to finish ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021