Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: GRINDING SUCCESS. nowthatIthink

GRINDING SUCCESS. nowthatIthink
May 05, 2020 01:39PM
I worked on this Grinding Attachment a couple of hours at a time. It’s complete. It’s dialed in. It will be an asset to the shop.

18F167A4-111A-44F1-AC27-7BEFFB965007.jpeg

Gary
May 06, 2020 01:03AM
Ahh, now i understand the previous pics. Looking good. Stay safe
May 06, 2020 02:06PM
Looks like it's easy on belts too.whistling

Lon
May 06, 2020 10:54PM
Bigbore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like it's easy on belts too.whistling
>
> Lon

Guess your whistling guy is questioning something. Combined with your text ... must be the belt condition.

Sorry. That’s the belt used.

That’s a factor of straight alignment, correct speed, correct pressure, and 46 years experience.

Thanks Lon
Gary
May 07, 2020 02:07AM
Actually, I thought it was a posed shot next to a brand new belt. If that is a used belt, I am impressed.take a bow

Lon
May 07, 2020 11:45AM
Hey that looks great Gary. Perfect grind every time . I’ve tried to hand grind a blade or two and even with good eyesight I just chased it from one side to the other.
Theres a trick I learned on line that is you take a drill bit the thickness of your blade . You lay flat on a table and use the chiseled point to scribe the center on the edge . It works pretty slick for marking but you still have to grind up to it precisely.
I love the hollow grind for my usage!

Thanks
Kurt
May 14, 2020 04:09AM
That jig turned out really well! Grinds look good.

Everything takes time. In order to be productive one needs to crest tooling, jigs and fixtures. Spoke with a guy today who will be making some carts for the company I work for. He said he made a large welding table with 3/8 plate so he can create a jig to easily place all the parts for welding. Makes sense.

Best wishes,

Pedro
May 14, 2020 09:51AM
Very sweet set up Gary.
All those little things really help .

Hey Lon
Gary’s probably using one of those MAGIC cleaning erasers in between. Haha More coffeePlus once you pay for ONE of those good sanding belts you learn how to make them last .
You’ve gotta let the grinder do the work and not over heat the metal.

I never scene one ( water tank ) at Gary‘s house Or in his videos but a lot of guys use water to cool down the steel when grinding. ( Forged in Fire )

Thanks
Kurt
July 02, 2020 01:25PM
Hi Kurt,

The main reason guys need to water cool their rigs, is the screaming fast surface feet per minute that they are running the belts. If you graze the edge of a fresh running belt; skin and bone are gone. It’s not a cut, it’s a crater.

Choices are made. Belt wear. Control. Safety. Workpiece temperature. And Calm vs. Frantic working conditions.

Gary
July 02, 2020 06:03AM
Anybody can pay a lot of money and purchase some very nice re machine tools, but the the mark of an experienced machine shop is the money they have invested in jigs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021