Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What’s holding up those Small Folders??? why me

What’s holding up those Small Folders??? why me
May 21, 2020 03:11PM
Well, about the time I fuss my bad luck, I learn of a couple people far worse ... so I just go back to work.

I had a beautiful Pack Knife Blade .... just THiiiiiissss Close to being finished. Beautiful hollow grind. Great finish. Just needed that touch up.

Onto the surface grinder table. Fiddle with something. Something shiny or ... look! A Squirrel!!!! ..... and I forgot to throw the lever activating the magnet holding the blade to the table. Ah .... I had “dressed the stone”. You use a diamond point in a solid mount. You run the spinning stone across it. It shaves the stone even and takes off the glazing which develops from grinding hardened Tool Steel. I put the diamond away (don’t be impressed. Industrial diamond. Cheap. Sintered into a rod of steel with a point exposed.)

So, I forgot to activate the magnet. I spark off. (First touch blade with spinning stone while controlling depth with control wheels). The spark is too bright. Nuts - did I do it that deep? I’m good at this step. Some never get it. It’s depth perception. Probably why I can cut dies. But anyway ... I Back it off a quarter thousandth, and hope I didn’t burn the stone. I start another pass. Blade vibrates and starts that series of sounds machinists hear as if you’ve dumped a wheelbarrow of rocks into a wood chipper!!! Then ... my voice is heard .... “NNNOOO!!! nnnoooooohhhhooooooohh!!!!!”

Ah crap. The stone happily ruins the blade and as the heat build up, warps it; and the warp drives the steel deeper into the stone. Gouging the blade and burning the stone’s Surface.

You know ... I sincerely wish that hadn’t have happened.

Ruining many many hours of precise work and setting me up to repeat them all. It also causes me to wonder ... if I had stayed in college as a music major and ..... no! “FORWARD NOT BACKWARD”. As Kelly reminds me.

So I’m using my notes, patterns, bandsaw, belt grinders, and Mr. Robot.

Just reporting in.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 03:18PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: What’s holding up those Small Folders??? why me
May 22, 2020 12:42PM
It’s ok. I came roaring back. Machinery working great!
May 23, 2020 02:15AM
Gary's Grinders?

GarysGrinders.JPG

Lon
May 23, 2020 01:19PM
That’s right Lon ...

You try to get an honest hour’s work from those guys. All they want to do is fiddle with their hair. And, you should SEE them freak at SPARKS!!!!

It’s hard to get good help. The Elves are into Beat Boxing now ... why me
May 23, 2020 07:27PM
Gary,
I know the feeling. I have “ let out the magic smoke” in some of my electronics builds. IT SUCKS. Seems to be very easy to get distracted anymore as i get older.
Take care
Rick
May 24, 2020 02:59AM
3CEE60E5-E4B1-42E9-9241-EA330D647CED.jpeg

I’m back on track Rick.

I’m also refining the build. So far, each only takes a bit longer then the $1,200 models. But I’ll make it up in volume! Wink
May 25, 2020 02:26AM
97C94DD0-BD8C-4E07-8E3E-F0D901645106.jpeg
May 25, 2020 03:19AM
Looking Good.. Don't overwork the Elves!
May 26, 2020 02:53PM
08ACB330-BABF-4D4B-9057-AF356152435C.jpeg

These items check off faster. This will complete it.

They are still taking longer than hoped. I trust that if I just make batches of parts here and there they will materialize on a regular basis. Hey - I can dream ...
May 26, 2020 04:12PM
Looking Forward to the finished product. As in everything done by craftsman...It takes as long as it takes to get it done right.

Rick
May 27, 2020 08:14PM
B5188DC3-6030-4D29-965F-D0428E46A4DA.jpeg

Just about there!

Yayyyy

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021