Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What do you Think???? Comments appreciated. nowthatIthink

What do you Think???? Comments appreciated. nowthatIthink
June 17, 2020 12:22AM
The Model 97 I was working on a couple of weeks ago.

How do you Like it?

Note: It’s been exceptionally painful lately. I finally go for Injections (as well as a new kind) next week.

I hope you are all well. Thanks for reading.

Thanks All,
Gary
75039445-81E5-4F53-8178-DC10268FEE99.jpeg
241C6D46-4DCC-410E-88B9-9C96CF4C2B02.jpeg
4C1F2A57-2C11-4B76-875F-B5483CD9716B.jpeg
7E1AE3E0-4FF4-45ED-901D-BA1A7753E886.jpeg
June 18, 2020 04:58PM
Gary,

That looks like it's about as close to perfect as a knife maker could get.

I've had a few occasions in life to look at something after dismissing it for years or even decades and its utility suddenly dawns on me; the Wharncliffe blade shape is the most recent. That knife's size, build quality and carved scales really put it over the top. Out of the hundreds of knives I've seen over the years, few were exactly perfect in every detail, too many variables to satisfy everybody, but that knife checks a lot of my boxes.

Lon
June 18, 2020 07:13PM
Thanks Lon,

If I may ... “so many items are given front row status that hasn’t been earned thru utility. The most common blade shape (with its wide blade and rolled upwards edge) could be one of such an item. “If” you are separating a hide from flesh, then that rolled upward tip is good. It won’t puncture the hide as easily. But right there, is proof that the edge shape doesn’t “want” to cut. It doesn’t want to do 95% of the things we carry a knife to do. Such as: 1). open a package (we go to a Wharncliffe shape - box cutter). 2). Unzip a parcel. (We go to a letter opener - narrow blade with an invasive point). 3). Remove a splinter? We go to an exacto Knife - Wharncliffe). Hobby/Craft? We use an Exacto or Utility/Box knife point/edge to Score or Trace. 4). Food Prep? We use Wharncliffe shaped blades. Because that rolled up edge geometry has your shoulder out of joint to get the edge onto the cutting board. 5). Personal Chef Knife? They carry a blade which has its spine roll down off the front to meet the straight edge. Wharncliffe.

People who “Use Knives” find that extended talon of steel edge the perfect shape to “reach in there” and nick that cut.

Knives that are “looked at”, feature all sorts of swoopy blades that might not be practical for carry. Don’t try to use a Bowie Knife to flick out that Splinter. Or the newly popular Battle Axe. The Gurka? Better not.

There’s just a big difference between “Carrying and Using”. Who doesn’t like a “Sunfish”. However; for any of the suggested usages above ... not so much. Maybe buttering bread! There ya go.

I’ve just gravitated to a version of the Wharncliffe blade geometry for “my knife”, for 45 years. I’ve paid the price, because the crowd isn’t drawn to them right away. They are an acquired taste. But I thought I’d try them again for this “Pack 97” Series. As you get yours and use it, report back please.

Enjoy,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 07:20PM by barnespneumatic.
June 20, 2020 03:37AM
That knife is another beauty!
Its new owner is going to love it!

Scott
June 20, 2020 12:13PM
Hi Scott,

This one doesn’t yet have an owner. I have one more little neurotic thing I want to attend to before I release it.

So glad you like it. Me too. Please drop back around. Great to see ya.

Gary
July 02, 2020 05:49AM
Classic and under-appreciated blade shape for sure. One of my every-day carry knives is the Kershaw Leek, it’s a slim little spring-assisted folder with a similar blade profile. I love the way the Wharncliffe blade shape acts like an extension of your finger, it is so natural to use. The only drawback is that you have to be a bit careful not to put too much sideways force on the tip, since it is very thin. I’ve ruined a couple of them doing stuff that I shouldn’t have been trying to do with a pocket knife.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021