Advanced

Re: target plane Testing Video. More Later! boing

target plane Testing Video. More Later! boing
August 13, 2020 06:14PM
[www.youtube.com]

Some Damascus Steel Testing. Done under the watchful Eye of the Supervisor

Thanks. Enjoy,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2020 09:26PM by barnespneumatic.
August 14, 2020 06:58PM
Ahh Gary

The old MAZEN test ...
it never gets old for me to watch the steel cut the steel ! The only thing better would see the expression of your supervisor’s face ! Exceeding all requirements!
Very nice work . I’ll bet he doesn’t even realize the true experience he’s getting hanging out with a cool grandpa bowing -- Far East

Thanks
Kurt
August 14, 2020 10:49PM
Thanks Kurt,

D88ECD28-AAB0-4A78-935D-33119C086AA6.jpeg

Etched it today.

Glad you enjoyed the vid.

Utube has changed stuff. Was a real headache for this old guy to find the changes. Seemed you couldn’t just push the PUBLISH button anymore. There were new terms. You had to set a time for it to PREMIERE. On and on.

And, if there were a kid in the vid, there is now a heap of stuff that must be in compliance. I thought what we did would work best for now.

Hope you are well. Thanks much for your comment

Gary
August 15, 2020 12:36PM
Very nice Damascus Pattern ! Great looking blade, is it on a Model 97 Frame?
I liked the "Mazen test" video also. Lucky you passed that with such a tough judge!

Keep Safe, Bob
August 16, 2020 11:33PM
Hello Bob,

Thank you. Sorry I neglected your question. Yes, it is a Mdl 97 and I dare say you will have never seen another with a particular requested Characteristic! I shall remain mum as there is a reason.

I hope your 97 Pack Knife has become second nature. I do very much enjoy mine.

When the weather breaks here just a bit, I want to shoot. I have things to use, techniques to refresh, and work to assemble.

7C8539AF-3F0F-4AE5-921D-53D7DCD88894.jpeg

On the house back porch after Church. And so .... I went to the shop.

I have enjoyed it, (after I medicated a nasty headache to death!). I try to live at peace with all I can, but sometimes ya just have to get tough! Haha.

Best,
Gary
August 16, 2020 02:05PM
Another beautiful, and sharp blade!

Scott
August 19, 2020 02:03AM
Gary,

Is that blade new stock? Have you fired up the hammer yet?

I'm using the Lansky system to sharpen my knives with great result. I've added a few stones to take the stones range from 70 IIRC to 1200 and a strop. Knife sharpening has been a big challenge for me most of my life, the Lansky system and YouTube finally helped get me to proficiency. How do you sharpen?

Hey, I have a half dozen of those thermometers around the house and no two agree, they're usually off by a certain amount. It could be it's only about 95.sunny

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 02:06AM by Bigbore.
August 19, 2020 03:18PM
Hi Lon,

This blade is from my private stock. I need a touch warmer weather to forge Weld. Haha. A bit warmer and I won’t need the forge. Just stack the steel and hammer.

The rule with cheap thermometers is; “The highest reading gets the bragging rights”.

(I’d use a thumbs up here, but that emoji cancels the post I’m writing - why would that be Jim? Pretty sure there about three emoji that do that for me).

SHARPENING: Ah there’s a Doctoral Thesis. Well, of course I have to establish a blade’s original edge, and I use a belt grinder. I establish the angles by hand and eye. But that’s another story. For sharpening an existing blade edge, you just hope it was originally done well, and you don’t have to work with a thick stubby axe edge. In order to know how much work you have (how much steel you need to remove - thus how rough a stone or diamond block you start with) - first do this: Swipe along the edge with a sharpie. Color a band about 1/8” wide. (The official Barnes Sharpie Color is BLUE

I do my sharpening by feel/eye, but it’s not as impossible as it seems. Use a medium grade stone. Hold the stone in whatever manner is comfortable and safe, while allowing you to swipe the entire edge over the stone. I usually physically hold the near end of the stone and rest the far end on the edge of something (the bench, saw table, table). This lets your shoulders find a set of angles so your arm holding the knife moves freely. Now take the blade and act as if you were taking a slice off the top of the stone. Like you were “Whittling” the stone thinner. This duplicates the angle which You use when you slice with a knife.

Take a “Slice” along the stone from heel to tip. Now, turn the blade over. Since you colored the edge area, you’re slice has made a track thru the colored field. Hopefully the bright line you just made, is very close to the edge. The farther away from the edge yourbtrack is, the more work you have to do and the more steel you must remove.

Ok, REMOVING STEEL. Once you establish an edge on your blade, you should never again have to remove much steel to resharpen. Remember; removing steel is the life of your blade. Don’t just waste your blade by starting each sharpening with a honkin’ rough stone. It’s not required. Use the finest stone which will restore your blade. You might well restore your edge simply with the strope. Use a bit of buffing compound rubbed into your leather or web fabric strope.

K. That’s a real good start. Remember; your objective is akin to that of a Dr’s primary rule: “First - do no harm.” Don’t hack up your blade by attempting to sharpen it with aggressive methods.

Thanks for Reading!
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021