Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FOR SALE bullhorn. A Great 97 Skeeter Tusk Folder. target plane

FOR SALE bullhorn. A Great 97 Skeeter Tusk Folder. target plane
May 09, 2021 09:28PM
Smooth and Sweet. A fine polished A2 stainless Tool Steel blade. Nickel Silver Liners. Integral Camo Barnes Northwestern Florida Fossilized Mosquito Tusk Scales. Material made by .... I mean excavated by .... wink ... Ole Man Gary from the Barnes Pneumatic Tar Pits!
A9A5A556-393F-46BC-8E0D-D95AA0ADD45F.jpeg

5B7498EB-A7EC-4CA1-9FB7-2B6F02D32FFC.jpeg

136D809A-A49A-49CD-A1F8-947EAD18FFEE.jpeg

This one is $625 plus $20 for Uncle Sam’s Stamp. Everything has gone up except my prices. Buy a bargain.

Drop your Marker Here to secure this knife!

Best
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 09:29PM by barnespneumatic.
2ABAC791-2904-4E8B-AAB8-E28AA411FB3B.jpeg
46C24EC1-240F-451D-A315-9417E591977F.jpeg
76D37016-6A28-4073-BE1A-6023D01D56F0.jpeg
AB1CD39B-BB62-43FA-87A0-9F66D0EDE7DC.jpeg
1E03140C-A2AA-41EA-83B2-0C1EB9D457E8.jpeg
May 11, 2021 12:31AM
Sweet looking knife Gary.

I am sure most will agree, the first pic reminds of "Indiana Jones". Maybe your picture can be titled, "Florida Old Bones"???

I hope someone snaps up the blade quickly.

Pedro
May 11, 2021 01:36PM
Hello Peter,

Glad you found the pics interesting. Never know what the tar pits will give up here. This find had some great color and touch.

Great to hear from you. Hello to Maria!

Gary
May 11, 2021 06:31PM
Hopefully one day soon I can visit and dig in the pits myself!

Pedro
May 11, 2021 10:32PM
You are welcome, and I have another brush. dig it
May 13, 2021 03:49PM
Do you know that the locking button on this knife, is polished, heat treated Tool Steel? Lathe turned to 2 specific diameters. Matching the base “well” that it recedes into in the back side of the frame, and matching the thru hole in the near side frame, where you push to release. The button is drilled to receive a coil spring to power the lock. That spring is lathe wrapped on a special mandrel I made. I start with a gauge of spring steel wire from a roll of same, which when wrapped on said mandrel; will produce a spring of sufficient push, yet be smooth to push and have enough travel. BUT, when you wrap the spring and then stop wrapping, the coil relaxes and gets larger ... so this must be planned in.

Now the button is blind hole bored to receive the spring. The spring is contained in the bore, but the bottom end would be floating and unsecured. Sooooooo. I must make a spring guide that goes inside the spring, has a foot base, and has a stud on the bottom which engages and seals a hole drilled for the purpose of guiding cutters earlier and now makes the spring guide socket.

The button dimensions have been determined to mate with milled cuts in the blade tang for locking open and closed positions. The thickness of the locking area matches the milled areas, and must fit the recessed well depth. The raw Tool Steel button must now be oil hardened. Then tempered to working hardness. Once that’s complete, the button must be sanded ... and then polished.

At this point, the Button, spring, and guide are complete..... How much would you charge for the entire handmade knife?

Curious of your reaction ...
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 03:59PM by barnespneumatic.
May 21, 2021 01:20PM
I can’t help notice we are a little slim on reactions here. I’ve taken the liberty to suggest a couple short comments you can use.

1). Ugly as Sin Gary
2). Not enough Solid Gold
3). I roll Pakistan made Walmart
4). I’ll take Six of them!
5). My dog ate my wallet ... have to wait 12 hours.

See ... it’s easy! nowthatIthink
June 04, 2021 08:17PM
Pretty sweet Gary, glad to see your still going.
June 19, 2021 01:59PM
Want to move this up. Please look at it again. This material (the Fossilized Fla. Skeeter Tusk), has a very good tactile feel. I think this combo of Camo colors play so well together. The mechanism is smooth as silk.

It’s so hard, after you have spent ... going onto fifty years ... learning new techniques; it’s so hard to “pick one” when you start a new knife to speculate on. All of the techniques are my work. All of them require a special set of skills. Once you start, you have committed to a loooooong attention span. If you have dozens of sets of techniques you’ve developed; then you want to use more then one or two of them.

Well, this block of Skeeter Tusk was made when I was so excited to have cracked the code, built the tooling, and produced a unique lifetime product that I’d have never thought possible the previous year. Hope you enjoy another look.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021