Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Working, fixing, keeping it spinning

Working, fixing, keeping it spinning
November 13, 2021 02:25PM
How do you like this time change? I’m not a big fan. Don’t know anybody, so far; that likes it getting dark at 4:30. Seems half of my day is effected.

I’m splitting myself among too many projects. Probably just like you. I added in another two days ago. I was sneaking in moving the dirt I ordered months ago. Was getting along great and smiling wide, when the tractor just stopped. Bummer.

So we serviced it. Changed oil. Oil filter. Blew out Air filter cartridge. Got to fuel filter. Settlement bowl - yuck. Dumped it. Rinsed filter. Still yuck. Ordered a couple from Jeff.

Tractor died in middle of driveway. It’s Hydrostatic. Can’t push it. Yay.

Ok. I’m working. Gotta go. I have a man coming Tuesday to look at tractor. Think good thoughts please.

Working on shop stuff till 8pm each night.

Gary
November 15, 2021 11:42AM
Hello Gary
Man what a bummer breaking down in the middle of the driveway.
Hopefully it’s a random fuel filter nobody told ya about . I’ve been lucky with my minimal use tractor so far . It’s my first diesel too but I know they’re pretty hard to hurt .

Good luck my friend !
A man has to have a tractor!

Thanks
Kurt
November 18, 2021 01:28PM
My tractor is BACK Kurt! You are right ... a man needs a tractor. Especially if you are moving a shop full of machinery. And a million other things since.

There ARE some fine people around. There's a man at Church with a huge Dump Truck business, road surfacing, and a farm. I asked him if he might know a guy I could call for the tractor. He sent over one of his diesel mechanics ... who brought a second mechanic (not sure the details). But they tag teamed the tractor and have it better then it’s ever been. I am used to dead batteries. I have had a rash of same. So I foolishly missed the stretched alternator belt that wasn’t charging properly. I had had low charge and blamed the old battery. The main problem turned out to be the setting on the fuel injector pump return valve. It was closed somehow. It’s a thumbwheel adjust and perhaps vibration moved it.

When I asked about the fee. I got a text ... “Merry Christmas.” We’ve really appreciated several generous people this past year.

I’ve used the tractor with a big smile several times already. Love that “Touch the key - Blmmm”.
November 17, 2021 12:44AM
My 16 year old John Deere garden tractor's SEALED hydrostatic transmission quit in the early fall. It runs for about 10 minutes when cold and then gradually slows down -- stalls when going up even a modest hill. A little Googling brought the sad news that a transmission job on this particular unit costs more than the tractor itself originally did (this was a Big Box store garden tractor). So it appears it is the end of an era -- we're moving to lawn care service next year until we figure out what to do. More sad

Hope all is well with you guys . . .

-- Jim
November 18, 2021 01:34PM
Hi Jim,

Gosh I’m sorry your tractor is down. Hope you find a good solution. You are gonna need a tractor and cart though.

Best,
Gary
November 17, 2021 12:36PM
When it comes to tractors, I love my 1951 Ford 8N. I can actually work on it! Not that it needs anything very often. :-)
It may not be compact, but it's also not hydrostatic. It mows, moves dirt, drags tree limbs and pulls a hay wagon.

I had a 1959 Ford 961 that through a rod through the block. I was still able to drive it back to the barn with only 3 cylinders. You can't do that with a modern tractor.

The hydrostatic Deere mower is a pain when it needs to be worked on....and expensive!

Scott
November 18, 2021 01:54PM
“Rod through the block ... just a flesh wound”, for an antique tractor. Hah.

I suspect every one of those old Fords they ever built, has been found and restored by now. Course, to hear their owners, all they needed was a paint touch up and fresh gas. Haha. Enjoy. Those are Classics.

Thanks Scott
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021