Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Prototype: 1st Die Strike of Minuteman artist

Prototype: 1st Die Strike of Minuteman artist
April 26, 2022 10:24PM
I have in mind pocket cases. Recall the previous Expedition Cases. Same Function. This is THE FIRST STRIKE. Done in Nickel Silver. It will mainly be used for rectangular cases where the hinges, snap catch, and clam shell sides are raised from Nickel Silver Sheet. Nickel is much harder than Brass. And is Silver White in Color. Here you see the covering of oxide produced during production.

4A6D26F0-AC01-4078-98F3-6D992D25F3D2.jpeg

I have taken an hour of retirement, two hours of non-existent Vacation, a day of non-existent fishing, etc. By this method I’ve produced the design, engraved the Tool Steel Die Block, made the holding jigs, forming Dies, heat treated all, and finally arrived at the hour of “The First Strike”.

I’ll now see if there are any alterations worth the risk. I’ll first use the collected set of tooling, and make a Case. I find this type of precise Craftsmanship to be fascinating. To start with a sheet of plain metal, and make an art piece to use a lifetime.

565575CA-1238-4C8C-BE00-BFA5E8AA0FEC.jpeg

I’m at least 30 years down the road, carrying my daily pills in this Barnes Pocket Case. It still goes “CLICK” with authority when closed. It’s tossed in my hip pocket and has never opened there. I’d call this an heirloom. It fits all the criteria.

Thanks for reading. More coming ASAP.

Rick ... I moved from wood to Kydex for you.
There are several other projects close. Thank you for your empathy. My entire SI track has been lit like Christmas for two months.

I’m grateful to be able to use these skills. They bring deep satisfaction when complete. Thank you for doing me the honor of weaving them thru your family albums and stories.

Best
Gary
April 27, 2022 10:18AM
Gary
Very nice project
I’ve been wanting one for awhile now .
Let me know if it turns out ( haha )
I’d love to have one when you get it done .
Please consider my marker DROPPED here .

Have a great day my friend

Thanks
Kurt
April 27, 2022 01:21PM
Hi Kurt,

I’m glad you like it. Thank you for your marker.

The oxide that covers the piece is the result of annealing. It will be removed and the plate polished. I’ve made a Die set to raise the sides in a smooth incline. I’ll show ya.
April 28, 2022 06:10AM
Sounds good Gary. That is an impressive tool die carving as usual.
Hope the new meds work for you. BTW, i like the black micarta for work/all day cary, anything relief carved, then Skeeter tusk

Rick
April 28, 2022 03:42PM
Thanks Rick,
I appreciate your input.
I decided to make that storage sheath from Kydex. Smaller and the Knifevwill SNAP into place. Time delay included: finding Kydex. Getting out small oven and stuff used. Then;(since I have difficulty finding a spot to sit a coffee cup, it was time to make room for the small oven and molding press.). Which reminds me, where did I put the molding Press??? Ahhhhhhhh.
With the lower shop, there’s plenty of room here. I just had to get working before I had things laid out. And it’s never gotten complete. Not wishing to pay climate control on two buildings at this time, I’ve crammed so many operations into the Studio, that it’s quite full. When I have everything put away, there’s still no room. And, I’ve been limping around with a spear thru my hip, and dragging my head behind due to neck discaboobalation. Still, progress is being made. Please continue with your admirable patience. The business model report written in 1974, didn’t include 2022. We’re in the “etc., etc., as needed” pages now. Hah.

Thanks Rick,
Gary
April 28, 2022 07:33PM
Oh yea. 1974… I had just gotten out of my 4yr military duty and anything seemed possible. 48 years later and we are all hurting in one way or another. I am no spring chicken myself & i can sympathize with you. So work on it as time & movement allow.

Rick
April 29, 2022 05:47PM
Howdy guyz
I was never a kydex guy but I bought a fix blade skeeter tusk and what a nice outfit. I was coerced into Kydex by my blade smith (haha ) ! Gary said it was just to protect the blade for shipping!
Mine actually click into place just like Gary said . It also swivels for setting down . I was not in the military ( major regret) or police but I hear a lot of good stuff about the kydex use and protection. I was afraid of loosing my blade in the woods then add skeeter tusk camo it would never be found.

Thanks
Kurt
April 29, 2022 06:47PM
Like THIS Kurt?

E040381B-4485-47DE-8916-647E707E4F94.jpeg

Hehe.
April 29, 2022 11:21PM
If it wasn’t for the file marks it would disappear completely!
April 30, 2022 02:36AM
Yes Rick,

That’s a 5” blade Tactical 97. Blade open. Looking at edge of it. You are seeing the back spacers
May 01, 2022 12:53PM
Gary that’s exactly how they disappear!

This tactical is a beast of a knife too !

Thanks
Kurt
C13E6649-7FA2-4281-AADF-8BB22BB4E545.jpeg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021