Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Very Close Now - Liberty Case

Very Close Now - Liberty Case
May 26, 2022 03:39AM
I engrave the numbers. I joint the hinges together. And this Liberty Case Prototype is ready to accept Cargo!

Thank You, sincerely; for giving this fine piece a Family home.

Blessings
Gary
8666F3D4-F3B2-4ABC-80D8-3650059AECAE.jpeg
42DD6643-16C4-4D96-B1DC-FA2E7691191F.jpeg
F4848933-4F05-4469-B8F5-21F9A820FBAA.jpeg
May 27, 2022 02:00AM
I'm thinking that would be called a MIRROR finish !
Great job

Thanks for sharing, Bob
May 27, 2022 02:58AM
WOW Gary!

Wish I could have been there longer to see it come together. The German, Nickel silver really takes on a polish! Turned out well and you made it work out despite some metal shortage. It was a prototype and the next should turn out easier as now you have all the tools required.

Looking forward to seeing more work as best you can.

Best regards,

Peter
May 27, 2022 04:19AM
Thanks Peter,

You are welcome to come back, my friend. You know how to be good company. There have been others. Always a special treat.

Yes, I very much look forward to Copies and Family pieces. I have ideas.

It’s been a long day. Until tomorrow,
Gary
May 27, 2022 03:10PM
Gary
That bending and folding has got to be tedious. You keep talking about the kersnap when it shuts and my mind keeps thinking about wrapping those hinge barrels into a tiny circle AND tempering to keep their shape along with the latch system. I’ve always admired your Expedition cases but never held one or opened and closed one. For myself it’s not so much the look as the mechanics of the piece processed from a flat ! The pressing die is amazing though !
Thanks again

Thanks
Kurt
May 28, 2022 02:20PM
Thanks Kurt,
It makes me smile too. There are a LOT of details to get right. To understand how the metal is going to react. How much it will grow when stretched. How to soften it once your work has hardened it again. (Called “Work Hardening”). If you forget and you keep going, you will crack, snap, break off areas. You really do have to pay attention. You can imagine having that detailed graphic and the contours of a perfect dome and then; snap .... and your hinge area is gone. But the whole thing is just so nice to use and listen to ... that it’s worth it.
You might imagine the wages for these are not excessive. I do it because they are so rewarding to complete. I know if I could just get one into the hands of people, they’d fall for them too.
Have a great weekend Kurt and all our readers,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021