Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Worth of the Wait...

The Worth of the Wait...
July 13, 2009 12:34AM
I'm on the ledger like many of you, and am looking forward to receiving my completed pieces. In the mean time, though, I'll occasionally take out my .32 Delta Ranger I received some time ago, enoy it, and be reminded that quality takes time. I think Gary especially did a nice job on the stock (very different on each side).
DSCN5161.JPG
DSCN5163.JPG
DSCN5167.JPG
DSCN5168.JPG
July 13, 2009 07:01AM
Great looking gun! The laminated stock looks awesome.
July 13, 2009 07:58AM
Aaaaarrrghhh, torture!!!!!electrified
That is one fine looking gun! If you ever get sick of it, call me. Reverse the charges. I'll wait by the phone.whistling
Cheers
Neil
PS How does it shoot? Got some stories to share?
July 13, 2009 02:47PM
Nice, quiet too. The Ranger series are great guns!thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 02:48PM by Bigbore.
July 13, 2009 04:51PM
Very good looking gun, dlalder... expecting it shoots well too.
July 13, 2009 07:34PM
Thats just wrong...... That I dont have one........laughing again.

Sweet!
July 14, 2009 10:59PM
I will see if I can get some shooting result photos, but for the time being suffice it to say that the gun is very accurate, extremely quiet and has a great trigger. I did attempt some long-range shooting recently (120 yds) but my scope wouldn't rise to the occasion. Guess I need to shim it?
July 15, 2009 12:35AM
Hi Doug,

Scopes have various amounts of vertical adjust. Some don't adjust as much as others.

There are mounts that can bias the scope for long range shooting - but they are expensive. A danger with shimming just one ring, would be to twist the scope tube. You might shim under the rear dovetail tower ... and thus let the clamp grab that dovetail a bit higher (lowering the front of the scope) .... see Neil's 50 caliber gun ... he did that.

Now - a solution (not a joke) is also this. Turn down the magnification, and shoot at a bigger target. Really. If you turn it down, you get a much greater field of view (height as well as width). Now ... if you aim at a larger circle ... like a 12" dot ... you are still just setting up a repeatable aim point.

That's how people shoot long range with peep sights. It's still a circle in a circle. Centered is centered. Your eye can see it when it's aligned.

My experience anyway. I realize most people think otherwise, but it's possible to shoot very well long range with lower power.

Sure - a nice $800 scope @ 50X, on a $600 adjustable mount is better. wink

Gary

Thanks for posting.
July 15, 2009 12:45AM
That's it, if I'm going to take this subtle abuse, I might just as well order the adjustable mount! knucklehead
July 15, 2009 12:50AM
SUBTLE!!!

Who you callin' "subtle"? eye popping smiley

Why ... I've N-E-V-E-R been accused of being "subtle". Obtuse perhaps ... grinning smiley
July 15, 2009 12:53AM
Sorry, IF I"M GOING TO TAKE THIS BLATANT ABUSE.....
July 15, 2009 02:12AM
Hey Jim,

Get in here. The Boss and the other admin guy are getting into it. smiling smiley Dory
July 15, 2009 10:21AM
Knock it off you two, or I'll put you on my "watch list." scared

-- Jim
July 17, 2009 07:14PM
Gee, I never like the look of glorified plywood...until I saw what Gary was able to do by sculpting the stock with organic lines, cutting on a bias and other little tricks which I'm too ignorant to describe.

That's a GREAT looking gun you've got there. Enjoy it for all of us!

Gary's right about adjusting the magnification of the scope. I use this especially with the mildots or "ballistic plex" feature as it allows you to dial in hold over without changing the "zero". With the bigbores it goes something like this at 8X crosshair on at 50 yds, first dot under 75 yd and fourth dot under 100 yrds and large post at 150yds. "Your mileage may vary"

Take care,
Kent
July 19, 2009 11:43PM
Finally got to shoot some today. Just got back in fact. Lots of stuff to show asap.

Shooting 100 yards with the 62 was easy as pie. I was shooting at 16X with one of my big Tasco Custom Shop scopes.

Gary
July 24, 2009 10:02AM
Beautiful rifle, love the stock. How did you get Gary to do a laminated stock without throwing in all those "tutti-frutti" colors he's so fond of?more confused

And to top it off, it doesn't even have a 4x Simmons on the top, amazing!eye popping smiley

Seriously though, it's a fine looking piece, I'm officially jealous.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021