Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Front support/bracket/band

Front support/bracket/band
December 19, 2008 01:50PM
Gary,
I have a question about the front support/bracket/band. Is it required? I noticed that even on some pistols you have one. But even some long barrels, don't have one. Or is it mostly for the good looks?

I know on the gunpowder side, they have real high breech pressures and worry about the harmonics of the barrel with accuracy. They don't want anything messing with that. With our relative low pressures is that a factor? Dory
December 19, 2008 03:25PM
"With our relative low pressures is that a factor?"

I think it is. Maybe not to the extent that the pyro guys worry about....

But it seems to me that anytime you have a slug being propelled down a barrel, that the barrel will move. Hopefully in predictable and reproducable ways.....
December 19, 2008 04:30PM
I would think the most important reason for the forward barrel support would be for strength. I'm pretty sure that if any of my airguns had a free floated barrel it would be shooting in some random direction by now.
December 19, 2008 05:36PM
I know that the front barrel clamp can also be used to tweak barrel alignment. Gary talked about using it to tweak the elevation on the Delta 45, for example (or to give the scope more rear elevation in effect).

-- Jim
December 19, 2008 05:59PM
Hi Guys,

Couple of factors come into play. Mainly, because airguns have so many more parts than firearms, and more machinery to operate the parts, weight is a big factor. We therefore use lighter barrels. We don't have the need to contain huge internal barrel pressures, so lighter barrels work well.

That said, the airgun barrels are less rigid, and benefit from the front barrel clamp. On some guns, they would not be required. Oddly, I've made pistols without them (and the pistols shot great) only to be asked to retrofit the guns with barrel clamps because the owner was "nervous" of the barrel hanging there unsupported. winking smiley

The incredible groups we've demonstrated show clearly that accuracy is not being harmed by the clamps. shooter

Jim is also correct. We can build in adjustment with the mechanics of the mounts. I've build in "up angle" to a number of big guns for distance shooting. It helps to naturally center the scope elevation tower.

Good questions and answers. Good discussion. And, sure ... if the receiver is built for it, especially is a gun such as a FT gun for example, a free-floated barrel can work great. You just have to remember not to bang it around.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021