Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barrel Clamps - Pics

Barrel Clamps - Pics
July 26, 2009 09:07PM
Here are the basics:

Barrel Clamps 001.JPG

Machined and reamed on the milling machine first ... then moved here to band saw the two apart

Barrel Clamps 002.JPG

Barrel Clamps 004.JPG

Sanded on a Barnes vertical belt sander

Barrel Clamps 006.JPG

Sanded on a Barnes horizontal/wheel belt sander

Barrel Clamps 007.JPG

Sliced apart ...

Barrel Clamps 008.JPG

One side tapped with threads ... the other bored and reamed

Barrel Clamps 016.JPG

Counter-bored for the head of the machine screw ...

(Where do you get these magnificant piloted machine cutters??? winking smiley

Barrel Clamps 015.JPG

Counter-bored socket ...

Barrel Clamps 017.JPG

Sand all over ... one complete

Barrel Clamps 018.JPG

And ... it fits as required.

Gary
July 26, 2009 10:48PM
Whew! And that's only one small part of the whole...take a bow
I can only sit back and marvel as to what goes into these masterpieces.
Regards
Neil
July 26, 2009 11:49PM
Yeah - and half the steps and set-up weren't there. haha. I know - I'd have to be completely nuts to do this for a living. more confused haha.

Gary
July 27, 2009 12:19AM
Less than 8 slugs per pound!
July 27, 2009 01:02AM
Hi Jerry,

I see that (as it's often tried for me) it's easy for the forum program to give you an overall topic comment box - rather than the one you wish to respond to a given comment. I often have to hit "reply" multiple times before it will give me an open box referring to the previous comment I want.

Nevertheless: less than 8 slugs per pound is "Honkin' Big!" thumbs up

Gary
July 26, 2009 11:58PM
Lookin' good . . . that's a big one. Field-grade Justice again?

-- Jim
July 27, 2009 12:00AM
That's right Jim.

Honkin' BIG!!!

;?)

Gary
July 27, 2009 05:46PM
Machinists blue, and a sharp scribe? Who's he fooling? More proof that he's got a basement full of CNC stuff......whistling

And did I see that right? the sanding wheel is wood? One more reason to hate talented creative people who can actually execute what they concieve?artist

Oh, and I'll stop poking Gary, but it points out that what goes on behind the scenes..... guessing Gary made the cutters, and keeps the scribe sharp, and made the wood sanding wheel to his required specs. Reminds me of the afternoon I spend building one (yep count'em one) jig to drill 4 holes. Which I'll never use again.......and no one but me will ever know that.

In this day and age, no one believes that some one still builds the tools to build their products.

Kudos thumbs up
July 27, 2009 07:00PM
Hi Dan,

Interesting comments. Good eye.

You bet. I built the grinders ... and the wheels to go on them. Contact wheels used to be very expensive (relatively to my class). They are still rather salty. I made that sanding grinder in 1776 ... or was it 1976 ... (probably more confused ) It's been going strong since. In fact - I needed small fast rolling idler and tracking wheels. Catalog? Yeah - right! Actually ... I bought skateboard wheels to do the job. And ... they ran forever. I guess forever ended last week though ... After only 33 years of running high speed in abrasive and steel grit ... one of the skateboard wheels locked up. whistling (I hope I still have that receipt!! )

Even funny as that sounds, it was still a pain when it quit. Single operator businesses are a real hoot. It was Saturday evening ... I was in the shop working ... needed to keep going ... and the machine locks down. Required a work around. Disassemble ... find a substitute (robbed from an attachment) .... compensate for a different width wheel face ... machine a special alignment bushing .... reassemble .... and then get back to continuing to work Saturday night. Yeah!

The contact wheels on a number of my grinders are laminated plywood, turned down, filled, contact surfaces applied, and on we go.

You are correct about the nature of craftsmen though. If you have the spark (and especially if you are self-employed) then you find a way around the deficiency, and keep going. You can work with absolute junk for tools, and create quality art. If that sounds a bit screwy ... consider that precision tools come from less precise tools. Otherwise, we'd have had to await some alien gift of magnificient machine tools, to ever build the ones we use. winking smiley Nope - they were built by careful minds controling the best generation of tools that came before.

Well, now I need a cuppa coffee ... coffee

Gary
July 27, 2009 08:59PM
and you didnt mention the piloted counter bore ,, that would make a skateboard wheel look simple , its the things that look so simple in a picture that really arent , even cutting round a scribed line with a jigsaw isnt as easy as it looks when you try it in real life .
nice work indeed gary , but nothing new there.
July 27, 2009 10:48PM
Dyson Diver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and you didnt mention the piloted counter bore ,,

Oh was gonna mention that bit..... (oh, no pun meant....)

So if the cutter to cut aluminum is steel, how do you cut steel? with harder steel? Usually the hardest thing I work with is my attitude baltic birch plywood, so making tools to make tools is outside my realm......

oh, and depending on how old that skateboard wheel is/was, you may be able to get a replacement bearing for it. When I was riding, they were switching to sealed bearing units, which were replaceable for just that reason......
July 28, 2009 01:58PM
Right - you bet. I'll get a set or two.

I've always remembered that, when I bought those over thirty years ago ... I was told they were "German bearings". Well - hat's off to the Germans! take a bow That was some serious over-engineering. thumbs up

And - if there are some old skateboarders out there (I'm not) ... these wheels have "Pure Juice" in raised molded letters. Sort of a translucent wine color. Probably worth a million bucks (if i hadn't ground a crest on the circumference). haha.

Gary
July 28, 2009 02:01PM
Hello Dan,

I make them from tool steel of various alloys. I heat treat them depending upon what they are designed for. Sure - you can cut steel with steel. I even make cutters which will cut tool steel. Remember though ... I do have a Master Bladesmith's rating from the American Bladesmith's Society (so I cheat ... winking smiley )

Gary
July 28, 2009 04:54PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I do have a Master
> Bladesmith's rating from the American Bladesmith's
> Society (so I cheat ... winking smiley )

ok, if thats cheating, cant wait to see what comes of doing it "straight up" .......laughing again
July 27, 2009 10:09PM
it's amazing that even the simplest things......aren't !!!
July 28, 2009 02:11PM
Yeah - they never are.

Would be fun to show and discuss the complex stuff I do, and some rather creative ways I've found to do things I really don't have the traditional tools for ... but I just can't show everything. winking smiley

Gary
July 28, 2009 12:00AM
Looks like there is a small bevel/chamfer on the bands. How do you make it? Set a sander to a specific angle relating to a table and freehand it? That would keep the angle the same, but not the depth (allowing the width of the plane on the angle to vary). How do you keep it so uniform in the transitions from the curve to the straight and back again?
July 28, 2009 01:53PM
That's sanded freehand on the outside radius of the wheel. Hand held - controlled just by eye - I don't even think about it after decades of doing it. smiling smiley

Thanks for posting.

Gary
July 28, 2009 09:11PM
Good post Gary. I've always enjoyed reading about your works, it's very interesting and educational. Thanks!
July 30, 2009 09:03AM
While that piloted cutter was undoubtedly a PITA to manufacture, I'll bet it's saved you a TON of rework over the years. Sometimes the right tool makes all the difference, and the ability to make EXACTLY the tool you need has got to be a lifesaver at times.

Nice pics, thanks for the post Gary.smiling smiley
August 04, 2009 04:42PM
having been gone a couple of days (had to get the wife outta Dodge for while, she's teetering on burnout.....or maybe I was...)....

reading this again, and gawking at the process... one question:

why didnt ya drill a "thru hole" first, then tap and ream the halves (using the thru hole as a reference). Or maybe that just my lack of machining experience? Or "many ways" to the same thing?
August 04, 2009 08:54PM
Hi Dan,

I did. take a bow

Refer back to pic #1. (Where I'm bandsawing the basic shapes). The thru holes are already in place in the pic.

thumbs up

Gary
August 04, 2009 10:26PM
I see that now.... drilled while the raw stock was still square.... I'd have cut the clamp out then drilled it, geatly complicating getting the thru hole "square".

Still learning!

tahnx Gary!
August 05, 2009 01:41PM
That's right, my Son. wink

That's why I get the big bucks ... whistling

thumbs up

Gary
August 06, 2009 06:45PM
I just noticed that your bandsaw has a little nozzle pointed at the work, I assume it's low pressure air to keep the chips/dust from obscuring what you're working on. The ones I've used never had that, and I always ended up blowing the chips away at intervals myself (gee, now I guess I know why bandsaw work always made me a bit dizzy after a whileconfused smiley) Did you have to add that or did it come with it attached?
August 06, 2009 08:06PM
Hi Sean,

That came with it. It's very, very low pressure I'm afraid. Not much help. However; I really like the saw. That was one of the most expensive tools I've ever bought. Always wanted one. Always had junior grade. This one has a blade welder/grinder on it.

One of my supply companies where I phone in orders, told me once ... "Mr. Barnes ... the computer tells me that you are due for a 10% (might have even been 20%) discount on an order". "Would you like to take that off of THIS order?" I think ... what ... THIS $100 order? I don't think so. "Can I let it ride and retain it?" "Sure thing". So ... I go dump my marbles, lead slugs, coins, and crumbled dollar bills out of a coffee can .... hummmm. Next time, I ask ... "Could that discount be applied to a TOOL?" Hummmmm???? And, the girl on the phone put me on hold while she went to ask. She came back and said .... "Yes". WEHheeeLLLL!!!!! ... I do believe I'll order one of those gigantic band saws!!!! Yippie!!! Nice little discount there which I appreciated very much. Odd, they haven't offered me any more discounts ... must not be due yet again ..... haha.

Gary
August 13, 2009 11:53PM
I remember using the blade cutter/grinder/welder on the metal cutting bandsaw in highschool shop class. They always had a box of bulk (and cheap) blade hanging up on the wall behind it since we went through blades so often. I just thought they ALL had a setup like that.

The first time I had to change out a (premade, big $$$) blade on a consumer model I couldn't believe how involved the whole process was. You had to unbolt top and bottom covers, adjust the big blade pulleys a bit smaller than the blade, wrestle it in place through the tiny little slot in the throat, tighten up the big blade pulleys, adjust the blade rollers in the throat, re-adjust everything, bolt the covers back on. what a PITA. It took at least an hours work if you hadn't done it recently, maybe half that if you'd just broken another one of those overpriced blades. eye rolling smiley

Despite the much lower prices, the "cheap" models are usually only a bargain if you don't value your time.
August 14, 2009 12:42AM
Gee ... sounds like alot of work. With my bandsaws, I just speak verbal commands, and the change blades and readjust themselves. Same with all my milling machines, and lathes ... whistling

Gary
August 14, 2009 11:01AM
"Tea. Earl Gray. Hot." coffee

-- Jim
August 14, 2009 07:37PM
That's it! thumbs up
August 15, 2009 08:09AM
Hmmm....that's strange, the bandsaw in the HS shot class worked the same way.

Old Mr. Schick would say "hey dummy, you broke it, you fix it", and he'd never have to touch it. Still and all, it was better than the woodshop teacher. He'd just say "needs more sanding". eye rolling smiley

Sandpaper is the ultimate tool for a woodshop teacher. It's safe for even the most boneheaded teenager; you REALLY have to work hard to hurt yourself with a sheet of 120 grit. winking smiley
August 15, 2009 03:12PM
Sandpaper. scared I'm still "damaged" from old "Pop Walker" at the Mt. Airy 8th grade wood shop class.

You NEVER got finished sanding with the man. I HATED to have the man review my work. That's because he had this carbide scriber disguised as a lead pencil. His routine was to rub the pencil lead over the aeras he thought needed more sanding. Supposedly, the lead smear would "skip" over the voids he claimed were there, and highlight them. In reality, he'd get this gleam in his eye. I say "eye" ... cause he only had one huge one in the middle of his forehead. whistling And he'd lean into that carbide scriber of his, and scratch the heck out of the project you'd just spent four shop days sanding. eye popping smiley You could reduce the plank a quarter inch with sandpaper, but you could NEVER sand out thosed cursed pencil marks old Pop Walker ground in there. sad smiley

I have to go lay down now. eye rolling smiley And, I seem to have broken out in a sweat ... is it hot in here .....??? confused smiley
August 16, 2009 06:38AM
Yup, the old "needs more sanding" nightmares have gotta get to you from time to time. probably why you've built so many fiendishly clever devices to insure that you'll never have to hand-sand anything that a machine could do instead. grinning smiley

His other favorite was to suggest that whatever project you had finally finished sanding needed yet ANOTHER coat of varnish. I think the real motive was to get the troublemakers and the perpetually unskilled to spend as much time as possible in the paint booth, where the solvent level was just short of lethal. After fifteen or twenty minutes in there even the most loudmouth and irritating kids would come out nice and quiet, if perhaps more than a bit woozy. Of course, some of the kids got to liking it a bit TOO much, and those ones would get to do...drumroll please, MORE SANDING!

Most of the other machinery in the shop was just for show. Sure, someone would occasionally get to make a bowl or some candlestick holders on the wood lathe, but nobody got to use the "cut your little fingies off" powertools more than occasionally. Just the minimum needed to provide an article that could be sanded and varnished.excited
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021