Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Shooting the Bontrager 20 guage

Shooting the Bontrager 20 guage
August 12, 2009 09:51AM
I went out and shoot the Bontrager 20 guage today. I tested the pattern at 35 yards with the 3/4 ounce #4 shot. At 500 fpe, each pellet carries about 5 fpe out of the 100 pellets. That is plenty for small games. The pattern is good enough at 35 yards with a 18 inch spread. I also tested the 340 gr slug, it flew out at 803 fps for a 500 fpe. With heavier slug, I'm sure it could get over 600 fpe. It gets 5 shots total. After the shooting, I decided to to hunt a cotton tail for dinner( I love to eat these). I was walking for only 2 minutes from where I did the shooting, then I spot a small mountain cotton tail running at 20 yards, I shot it, and it went down without even a twitch. these mountain cotton tail is small but very tasty. I took a lot of photos of the gun and the rabbit, but I couln't size them down with my computer to post. I had fun, and a rabbit as a bonus for dinner he..he.. by the way, this is my first game with this air shotgun, so I'm very excited.

I plan to hunt coyotes with this shotgun using buckshot later, should be a lot of fun.

I need someone to guide me how to size down the pictures, I tried for 1 hour to figure out, but no luck. I took them with the iphone, and the pictures are 600 kb, I must have took them too close.

]IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 09:16PM by peter-n.
August 12, 2009 02:24PM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post.

I'm not knowledgable about the i-phone. Some here have them. I do know that the file size (you say 600kb) isn't related to how close or far you are from the subject ... but it's related to how you have the camera set. Every camera I've seen allows you to set the "file size" ... and, for posting directly on the web, you'd want to set the file size to VGA. That's an indication of a size appropriate for web and e-mail.

If you have loaded the pics onto a computer, then you must import the picture you want, into a program which allows you to alter video images. Something like Photoshop, or Premier Elements. There are many. Sorry - someone will have to take it from here. However; you can resize your images, so they are not lost.

Glad you had fun.

Gary
August 12, 2009 05:18PM
Peter,
Save the pictures to your home computer. Open them with any picture editor and you will be able to crop them, do some simple editing and resizing as well as saving to a smaller .jpg file size. If you have Microsoft Office you probably have the Office picture editor. Almost all computers come with one picture editor or another. You probably have one wether you know it or not. One way to find out is to right click the picture file and then click on the option that says "open with" that will usually list you editing software and maybe more than one.
May 18, 2011 06:00AM
Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peter,
> Save the pictures to your home computer. Open
> them with any picture editor and you will be able
> to crop them, do some [url=http://www.ebelow.com/ipad-2-covers-leather-ipad-2-covers-ipad2cover.html ]ipad 2 covers[/url]simple editing and resizing
> as well as saving to a smaller .jpg file size. If
> you have Microsoft Office you probably have the
> Office picture editor. Almost all computers come
> with one picture editor or another.[url=http://www.ebelow.com/best-ipad-2-stylus-pen.html]ipad 2 Stylus[/url] You probably
> have one wether you know it or not. One way to
> find out is to right click the picture file and
> then click[url=http://www.ebelow.com/ipad-2-keyboard.html]ipad2 keyboar[/url] on the option that says "open with"
> that will usually list you editing software and
> maybe more than one.

There are many. Sorry - someone will have to take it from here. However; you can resize your images, so they are not lost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 06:01AM by undertake.
August 12, 2009 09:19PM
Finally I got it, and loaded some pictures. Took me a while, but it's good that I learned so from now on I can post pictures. Thanks guys!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 09:38PM by peter-n.
August 12, 2009 11:06PM
Well done.
August 13, 2009 08:07AM
Good work Peter! Seems like you are having fun with that shotgun...hopefully no crunchy bits of lead in your rabbit dinnerscared
Cheers
Neil
August 13, 2009 02:23PM
Thanks Neil! I'm having a blast with this shotgun. It's the most versatile gun in my airgun arsenal. To be able to take down running games with an airgun is a satisfying feeling that is hard to describe.. With this shotgun, I can hunt running small games, flying games, coyotes, to big games. And some of the fun is loading your own shelves to match the games you hunt with.

The pellets has penetrated thru the rabbit, not one single pellet in my tasty dinner he..he..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 03:41PM by peter-n.
May 18, 2011 07:57AM
Hi Peter, thanks for posting. Sounds like a very versatile and powerfull gun. Tell me, with the Bontrager being a standard shotgun size can you make up shot loads using a 20 Gg plastic wod ? It would seem if it were posible to fill the wod with the desired load of shot and cap it off with say a disk of card held in place with a we bit of wax it would be a lot simpler than making the whole thing from scratch using paper. Also some of the wods have a nice hallow base which would help them to seal up nice. how does the slug group through the smoothie ? Cheers, Danny.
May 18, 2011 02:19PM
Peter,

I would be interested in seeing a little bit more about the sells and loading process too.

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021