Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ready for range test ... Additional Pics and Numbers

Ready for range test ... Additional Pics and Numbers
September 26, 2009 01:44AM
A_George.jpg

A_George2.jpg

Weather and all else permitting, I'll take this fine 46 caliber to the range tomorrow.

You'll note that this is a "top lever" mechanism.

Initial shop tests put the gun at 500 fpe, prior to tuning.

take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2009 07:41PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Ready for range test ...
September 26, 2009 01:45AM
Yeah! shooter
September 26, 2009 01:47AM
Dude!

Were you sitting there waiting?

Gary
September 26, 2009 01:48AM
Yes, don't you remember? whistling
September 26, 2009 01:48AM
Wow ... this thread is HOT!! hahahahah excited
September 26, 2009 01:49AM
smoking smileySmoking!
Anonymous User
September 26, 2009 02:00AM
Pretty radical from you have been doing Gary. Did someone, uh say how about a gun with the cocking lever in the stock, or just something you wanted to do. Either way it turned out very nice, and I'm sure the leverage gained through the cocking arm makes it a joy to use. Give us the specs on it, can't wait to see some groups.
September 26, 2009 02:06PM
Gary, shouldn't that BIG KNIFE come out of the front of the gun?laughing again
September 26, 2009 03:42PM
Gary,

I've heard you talk about a self contained rifle with a pump in the stock and I thought that project had come to fruition until I read the description.

Two surprises in one post! VERY interesting concept.
September 26, 2009 04:59PM
Looks like you saved some space on the stock for some carving.

Nice lever, not all of us are muscle men. Dory
September 26, 2009 05:35PM
A great number of my buyers, through the years, have been left handed. With this Rendezvous Class family of rifles (where the stock is dropped and the hammer tube is inside the stock) ... the cocking stud on the side, makes a rifle either a dedicated left or right handed model. The cocking stud must travel, and the forearm conflicts with the position of the stud (if you try to reverse your hold - right or left).

This issue came up, once again, and the customer and I decided that it would be nice to have a rifle that BOTH could shoot. If you make someone a dedicated left hand rifle, they can't easily share the gun. I had the idea of a top lever cocker. Of course, it also makes it effortless to cock the gun. It's alot of work to make, internal and out ... but it's a special feature.

Gary

Caribou 053.JPG

Also made some stock rings from brass stock.

Caribou 044.JPG

Had to tear down the shop's air compressor and repair the check valve this week. Had to trouble shoot it first. The thing would port a steady blast of air from the relay switch case after achieving pressure. Good fun.

Haven't gotten to the range yet. I've felt like trash this week. I get epidural injections Tuesday ... they insist you cease Ibuprofen 5 days before. That's about killed me as I use ALOT of it. I've had a killer headache this morning, and nothing else will cut it. Finally, had to take something or die. I'll get yelled at for sure.

Gary
September 26, 2009 06:24PM
Nice work Gary! An interesting innovation, a handsome looking gun, can't wait to see the testingthumbs up
Cheers
Neil
September 26, 2009 07:40PM
As I got feeling better this afternoon, naturally ... it started to rain spinning smiley sticking its tongue out So - no range today. However; I did a fit of testing in the shop. All I can really do now ... even with the "Muzzler", it's rather "sharp".

The gun is a serious powerhouse. I wanted to see what it would do with some lighter rounds. I even swagged a couple of "buck-ball" from .490" round ball. Made a nice round nose bullet head shape. Might see if some fly to distance. They sure go fast!

Caribou 005.JPG

Here's a .465" buck-ball which screamed over the chrony at 1,056 feet per second.

I also tested my Barnes Raptor. This series weighed in around 226 grains. Quite fast as well. And a good bit of energy produced with these light weight rounds.

Caribou 006.JPG

Here's a page out of the shop ledger during the test.

Caribou 007.JPG

Guess you might figure from the pic titles ... I've named this model "Caribou".

Will be good to get it to the range. Either before or after bluing now. I have alot of detail work to complete. I also will get some max. power numbers from the heavier weight rounds. I suspect it will easily rack up 550 foot pounds.

Nice rifle. I want one.

Gary
September 27, 2009 02:27AM
Great looking gun! I like the style and the design, and very impressive number too.
September 27, 2009 04:06PM
Neat look!

what made you pic .46 caliber for this one, as opposed to .45 or .58 ?
September 27, 2009 04:41PM
Hi Joebill,

Customer caliber choice. I've been referring to my 45 barrels for the last 6 years or so by their accurate numerical designation. They like .465" rounds ... so they are 46 caliber. You recall, hardly anything in the projectile range is accurate designated. Remember this long page - which is really humerous - I posted years ago.

Oh ... I got the bits/burrs you sent. Thanks alot.

I found part of this Caribou in the bag ...

A_Caribou1.jpg

I cut the shaft on one of the bits and found it useful for removing some background thumbs up Thanks very much.

I've been working on it here and there, while fighting several days of nasty headaches. It's a wonder it doesn't look like a bunny. google eyes

Gary
September 27, 2009 05:51PM
hope you start feeling better! A lot of those burrs come long - for working down inside the femur!!!

The real little "ball" burrs are diamond, rest are carbide mostly

have fun - I'll keep an eye out for moremore innocent

Carving looks real nice even at this stage
September 28, 2009 03:34PM
Ive wore out my thesaurus trying to find words big enough to describe how cool Gary's stuff is.... and how much cooler its getting...cooler

Cant wait to see the range results! How long is that thing?
September 28, 2009 04:10PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks.

It's my standard "full length" rifle ... meaning it will fit inside a normal 52" rifle case. Same as the Nitros, Tundras, Bison, Carnivore, etc.

smileys with beer

Gary
September 29, 2009 07:02PM
Musst be the way the gun is oriented in the pic......

Oil finish on that one?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021