Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Completed Carving and discussion

Completed Carving and discussion
September 29, 2009 04:57PM
I'm not sure how much deep relief wood stock carving you see. The net, watching from home, and the ease with which you can "tune in" here makes it pretty common-place. I honestly do not know another person doing this. Sure - it exists. I'm sure there are hundreds of them. But - do you know any?

If I had the mystery of being from some obscure Swiss village ... I think it would all be far more unique. I've got the white beard, the wire rim glasses, and the leather apron ... but, it's my fault for being accessible. My e-mails have told me, for many years now, that the general lack of comments comes from the fact that readers expect nothing less from me now. Hummm.

Well, starting a new series of Epidural Injections this morning, I didn't know how I'd feel today. I stayed up late, and finished that carving on the Caribou rifle.

Caribou 001.JPG

Caribou 003.JPG

Caribou 004.JPG

I really enjoy doing this detail work on my guns. Problem is ... it takes alot of time. And, I can't just keep adding more and more, and keep the prices the same. So; if I were to add in another couple of layers of the skill sets I've developed thru the several decades I've studied and worked ... I'd be completing work that would have to be marketed totally different from the business model I've worked with thru the past 13 years.

I've been trying to show you more and more, and still balance the work so that it will still get into the field (Occasionally).

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy seeing the progression of work.

Gary
September 29, 2009 05:21PM
Gary, I'm not sure I can even begin to comprehend the skill, patience and artistry that goes into a work like that! thumbs up
I can understand the frustration of never seeing that work again, once it departs your workshop....but maybe there is a some satisfaction to be had that people covet these works of art to such an extent that they treat them as such and treasure them and derive satisfaction from getting them out of the cabinet and admiring them now and then? Like you though, I'd love to see them in action more, but then that artwork might get dinged....scared
Enjoyed seeing the progress on this gun immensely, thanks.
Neil
September 29, 2009 07:14PM
Cool stuff!

Is the stock ready for application of a finish artistbefore you start carving?
September 29, 2009 07:39PM
That's really beautiful, Gary. It's really interesting to see how things have evolved over the years.
September 29, 2009 07:40PM
looks great , but as youve said allready , its what we expect , i really hope the new injections work well for you , and they dont knock you sideways with aftereffects.
t
September 29, 2009 09:20PM
Neil, Dan, Doug, Tom ....

Thanks for your comments.

I'll answer the questions together. First ... I understand that someone would not take this rifle out, toss it in the back of the pick-up ... and go coon hunting at night. However; everybody I know carries their guns in bullet-proof bank vault cases that could be dropped from 20,000 feet without damage. An afternoon, on a shooting bench, isn't real stressful to a gun. And then, there have been direct requests for video sweeps of the guns to be posted. I've never had a cam corder take a chunk out of one of my guns ... could happen I guess. Only for the risk-takers. haha.

The stock is shaped, and mostly sanded before carving. It's cleaned up afterwards. Yes - it's a stock oil finish. Seems to hold up wonderful and age well.

I'm sure that some think I'm bragging, but I don't initiate the ideas. I don't know where they come from. God must like airguns, I suppose. more innocent I have infinitely more ideas than I can begin to apply. The ones I make, often are a hybrid of previous work that intersects with some new idea. That mix seems to appeal to my sweet spot. When that sneaky garbage truck finally runs me down as I try to help a puppy ... eye popping smiley someone remember that there are hundreds upon hundreds of shop drawings of designs and mechanisms. See Kelly. grinning smiley

I'm very lucky that these epidural injections work for me. For many people, they do nothing. It's just a matter of where my damage is located, and how the steriod effects me. It's a Godsend, or I'd be out of business. You can work thru pain, but not agony.

Thanks for reading guys. I enjoy your company. thumbs up

Gary
October 01, 2009 04:58AM
I'll be vewy, VEWY careful.fudd
September 30, 2009 07:28PM
Gary,
I have been lucky enough to have shared your passion with you over the last half dozen years. It has been a blast to see you continue to transform and improve on the state of the art as well as to see the variety of art mediums you work in. The Caribou is another grand creation which while deserving respect, I would no hesitate to take it afield. I cherish the minute character lines some of my guns have obtained while hunting. They give life to the piece as much as any picture or wall mount. Thanks again for sharing. Hope to see you again soon,
Kent
September 30, 2009 09:09PM
Yeah well, it's nice and all that but I still want to see MY idea of the "Jolie" gun get carved... more innocent
October 01, 2009 02:03AM
Thanks Kent,

That's the Spirit! thumbs up

Hey ... what would the Liberty Bell be without the crack? haha. I'm glad you have used and enjoyed your guns. That's what they were made for ... by Golly.

You whip up some Steamed Shrimp, and I just might stop by ... grinning smiley

Gary
September 30, 2009 08:48PM
Very impressive carving Gary! It makes the gun look even more beautiful and a treasure. I'd love to have it on my gun he..he.. Good job!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021