Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Survived my first Field Target shoot

Survived my first Field Target shoot
October 21, 2009 05:03PM
The Mrs. and I travelled from Bozeman to Pocatello this past week end for an FT shoot. (yea ok, we needed to get out of Dodge for a bit, sanity break too ). Put on by the great folks at IAFTA, had a great course, lotsa encourgement and good coaching.

My recently arrived Marauder and I shot a 14/45. About 13 points more than I was hoping for.... winking smiley

Now in retrospect, the FT is soooo ridiculously simple, and thats what makes it hard. Range the target, do the ballastics math, aim and squeeze the trigger. Piece of cake.....google eyes, except for the time limit, shifting to a better seat to get around the sage brush, the sun in yer eyes, wierd wind up the gully, 3/8ths kill zones( that allow for zero, none, nada zip mistakes or mis calculations), 10 yard targets that bent my understanding of close range ballastics.......

What I came back to the Bo-zone with was a great introduction to FT and a reference point of what my marksmanship weaknesses are. Now to find some folks to get it going here, and invite the Pokie-town boys to come north
October 21, 2009 07:18PM
Three-eights is a little, tiny target...no matter WHAT kind of rifle you're shooting at it with. Good job!

How you like that Crossman? Worth the money?
October 21, 2009 08:05PM
I didnt say I hit the 3/8ths...laughing again..

the Maruader worth the money? yes. Stock could be better, but I have a thing agaoinst a lot of sporter type stocks anyway.....

Mine shoots well out of the box, Ive done nothing to it other than try different pels.

Laser beam accurate (even when I'm shooting it.....) and except for tank ping, dead nuts quiet.
October 21, 2009 08:23PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post.

That's a fun sport. Especially for people who can sit on the ground and fold up into a knot. Up and down for 45 or 60 targets ... and "tomorrow" is an unknown experience. I've noted that the "bicycle types" do well. Six foot ... 170 pounds max ... no blood pressure to speak of. haha.

Gary
October 21, 2009 09:23PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for your post.
>
> That's a fun sport. Especially for people who can
> sit on the ground and fold up into a knot. Up and
> down for 45 or 60 targets ... and "tomorrow" is an
> unknown experience.

Didnt make it till "tomorrow". By early after noon Saturday, some 4 -6 hours after the shoot, I was feeling soreness, from doing nothing but sitting down and getting up..... Honestly though, I dont know how much was from the hours in the car, and what was from the shoot. I suspect though, they both come from the same root cause.... wink
October 21, 2009 07:33PM
I don't think I could handle tiny little targets like that. I'd be tempted to blow the whole thing into another state with a .62 after scoring....
October 22, 2009 04:20AM
Hmmm....

Do you think they'd let you use a Woodsman instead? Then you wouldn't have to sit down to shoot. Just pop it with an ounce of #8's from a standing position and walk on to the next. winking smiley
October 22, 2009 02:25PM
Dan,

I've always wanted to try it but I don't know if, as Gary says, I can "fold up into a knot".

Maybe some day I'll stock up on Ibuprofin and give it a try. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lon
October 23, 2009 04:03AM
I'm sure I could do some damage with a shot shell, but I'd be very proud if I could actually shoot good enough to compete with the guys that routinely hit those tiny targets!
October 23, 2009 06:40AM
Sounds like hard work Dan!
Good to hear the Marauder is going well for you, seems that there is a wide range of experiences out there with the gun, good and bad. Yours must be a goodysmiling smiley
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021