Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: LASSO 2009

LASSO 2009
October 29, 2009 03:00AM
Recent disscussions about events for niche hobbies prompted me to look for airgun related events. Here's one that seems to have attracted about a dozen participants. [www.bigboreairguns.com] Has anyone considered attending this one day event for some bragging rights. Looks like they've got three targets to shoot at and the rules give you two shots at each target at the five different ranges for a total of 30 shots on target and a max of 30 seconds per target or 7 min of shooting. The small bore range is simular with four different ranges for 24 shots. It appears lunch will be provided. I'm looking at attending this if I can fit a balsa stock to the Carnivore 58 to get it under the 10 lbs weight limit. laughing again Ok I haven't yet weighed any of my guns to see what will be the best.

Kent
October 29, 2009 12:22PM
I mentioned it a couple of months ago that I couldn't find anything about it this year. Looks like it's Nov 14th. 350 yds I believe is the longest shot. Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 12:34PM by Dory.
October 29, 2009 03:28PM
Ya kent the competition is less than 5 miles from my home. I have to work that day, but I could get off early enough to see you wax the floor with these's guys.laughing again Dennis Quackenbush will probably be there.
October 29, 2009 03:46PM
It is indeed an event run by guys who are aligned with DAQ, and I would assume Dennis and Tom Gaylord will be there. I for one would love to see Barnes Pneumatic represented.

I didn't see anything about a 10 pound weight limit . . . where is that mentioned?

I'm guessing the Grizzly 62 would be perfect for this . . .

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 03:47PM by Jim.
October 29, 2009 03:58PM
Jim that was part of the rules for last year. I am sure it is still in place for this year.
October 29, 2009 04:20PM
Kent,

I invited, pretty much challenged Eric to come to Gary's shoots and they just aren't interested.

You're going into the lion's den on that one, show up with a Barnes gun and they'll work hard at discrediting it and you. I'll be happy to bore anybody to tears with links and such to show what a watse of effort it would be to try to enjoy the shoot with a Barnes gun. Pull it out of the case and it's analogis to the needle scratching across the record at the dance.

LOTS of experience with that camp.

Lon
October 29, 2009 05:25PM
Though I might agree Lon, and I'm sure a lot of us know the history, I have to say that on this forum we've gone out of our way to be very polite to everyone, even through purposeful omission at times. wink You're not doing anything wrong by acknowledging the Emporer's lack of vestments and the complete non-discussion of THAT particular topic, but I want to make sure this thread doesn't give anyone a reason to say, "See! 'They' are bashing us." And I'll leave it at that.

I'd rather let that sleeping dog lie. Just my .02, for what that's worth. google eyes I agree it would be great to actually have a big bore shoot where EVERYONE could get along a la Rodney King, but we know that ain't gonna happen -- and that's OK.

-- Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 05:39PM by Jim.
October 31, 2009 06:32PM
I just don't get it Lon, unlike you, they have not even been shot with a riqochette by me. more innocent And yet you think they might be annoyed by my presence?knucklehead It would be good to be able to compete without actually running the event at the same time, but if you think it would end up like a Caddy Shack golf challenge my presence may not be enjoyable for anyone. One second thought,laughing again who do you think I would most resemble Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase or Ted Knight??? Rodney and Chevy seemed to have a grand time!!! I can hear the chorus of "MMMIIISSSSSSS IT..MMMMMMIIIISSSSS IT..MMMMIIIISSSSSS IT." as line up on each target. Never had cheerleaders before!! The big downer would be the ratio of 20hrs driving for 7 min shooting with lots of freetime to chat about my mis-shaped gun. Now if Kenneth or ? could make the jaunt over, I could arrange for a couple of guns to be available to shoot both large and smallbore courses. Any thick skinned shooters out their?

Kent
October 31, 2009 10:14PM
Chevy, most definitely. I can see you stepping up to the firing line and going, "na-na-na-na-na" . . . "na-na-na-na-na" while drilling sequential targets at 175 and 260 yards. laughing again

-- Jim
November 01, 2009 02:14PM
Kent,

I don't remember much of Caddy Shack(Lately, I don't remember much of anything) so I won't comment on which character you most resemble.

In deference to the mod I'll throttle my comments back in the never ending spirit of harmony.whistling I will brag that I am somewhat of a celebrity on another bigbore makers website, "ribbit".fudd

Looks like the shoot was a hoot, you really go all out. You're good people Kent!smileys with beer

Lon
October 31, 2009 09:33PM
I'll bet any of the Prarie models would more than keep up with those .308s, let alone the bigger bore models.
November 01, 2009 12:52AM
I have to work that day Kent. I could take a short break from work to be there, but I would have to go back to work to finish up things. Thick skinned is about right. Get ready for the phrase - You paid way to much for that airgun.
November 03, 2009 01:09AM
Hey Y'all,
Kenneth, I know I've paid to much for an airgun.more innocent If that's all I thought commisioning Gary to craft a functional work of art got me I'd just keep throwing different slugs into a over pressured, bored out, relubed, respringed Asian "tuner" until I found one that stayed on the paper. Of course I would close my eyes tightly as I pulled the trigger shooterand keep my health insurance paid up. LOL! But that flinch that develops after you eat a bolt scaredtakes years to break and frankly I don't have that kind of time.

I'll be setting this event out, because of the disproportionate cost to benefit ratio of travel time vs shooting. But how bout I get some training in and record it for this site. Kenneth, maybe we can both make it next year.

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 03:39AM by Cajun Justice.
November 03, 2009 03:08AM
November 03, 2009 10:29AM
what a hoot , a nice idea for a competition , think the weight restriction is a little un realistic , 14 lbs would have really opened up the scope ,, no pun intended ,,,
t
November 03, 2009 03:34PM
Yes, 14 lbs would be excellent. The Grizzly is 13# with the scope and 14# with it's slug in the barrel.google eyes. Now I have to shoot with their air so no helium to help either.laughing again So that leaves drilling all those wgt reduction holes in the stock, barrel band, and trigger guard/grip as well as fluting the barrel and reservoir tube. Sounds like I'll have me an Asian "tuner" after all.knucklehead Guess I'll have to ask Julio to lend me his Hoss for the shoot. Opps, that pistol won't fit in the rifle rack! Foiled again!!! Think they'll ever have an unlimited class for the shoot?

Kent
November 03, 2009 05:35PM
Sounds like a plan Kent. I will make time for next years event.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021